Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: kikib Processing speed too high for ability? - 03/03/15 07:03 PM
DS5 recently took the WPPSI-IV and CogAT 6 for placement into our district's Highly Capable program.

He was accepted into the program (conditionally) based on his CogAT scores. He is in the process of being evaluated for ADHD (his sister and I both have it). The dr doing this evaluation suggested he might struggle in a highly capable program because his processing speed is higher than his other abilities. Is that something I should be concerned with?
I am a little concerned with the discrepancy between his CogAT scores. I expected his verbal to be lower, but not that much lower.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Posted By: aeh Re: Processing speed too high for ability? - 03/03/15 07:49 PM
It's not so much that his processing speed is too high for his abilities that would be the problem, but that, if the WPPSI-IV results are to be believed, most of his reasoning abilities are in the Average to High Average range (though matrix reasoning is Superior, which is a good score), suggesting that the Full Scale might overestimate his learning potential, due to his high speed.

His CogAt verbal is pretty much in line with the two WPPSI verbal subtests, taking into account that it is one grade out of level.

I think the evaluator's main concern is with, based on this evaluation, potentially placing a cognitively high average student into a program designed for superior-to-very-superior cognition.

Now whether these scores are fully reflective of your DS's cognitive ability is another question, especially where there is suspected ADHD.
Posted By: kikib Re: Processing speed too high for ability? - 03/03/15 07:52 PM
Thank you! That makes sense.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum