Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: StephanieF Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/24/15 07:24 AM
I know I can brag my to my heart's content here and you won't judge me. I am just sooooo excited to see my 9-year-old's test score on the SCAT (to apply to the JHU-CTY summer program/online courses).

He got in the 98 percentile on Verbal and 99 percentile on Quantitative. That is really really good, right?!

It's nice to be validated about his intelligence with his awesome scores!

I can't post it on Facebook because he didn't win a wrestling match, star in a school play or look super cute. It's just not acceptable to post intelligence brags there or to tell anyone but the grandparents.

Thanks for listening. I am a super proud and excited mama!! My son is 2E (ADHD) so this is even more exciting because he has so many difficulties and it's wonderful to focus on the positive!

Stephanie :-)
Posted By: ndw Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/24/15 09:51 AM
Congratulations to your son Stephanie. The scores sound awesome. I don't know you guys but your post made me smile. I could feel your excitement and pleasure and felt very glad for you and your DS. It's lovely to hear good news!
Posted By: gabalyn Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/24/15 11:45 AM
Yes! Congratulations! We have taken many CTY classes and really value them!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/24/15 01:43 PM
Congratulations!!! Yes, you are safe here. We understand! smile
Fantastic!!!
:-) Thanks guys!
Posted By: Ivy Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/24/15 05:16 PM
Congratulations! What a wonderful validation!
Hooray!! My 7 year old takes the SCAT Thursday! His first EVER test.
Thanks Tor'sMama! Good luck to your son on the SCAT. You must be homeschooling too then?
Posted By: 1111 Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/25/15 06:00 PM
Love to hear this! Congrats!!
Yes, we have always homeschooled. I really wish we could afford for him to take an IQ test, but we can't.
Thanks for everyone's support!! Really appreciated!

Yeah, Tor'sMama, it's expensive to have an IQ test. I don't feel that my son's IQ test was accurate anyway because he was undiagnosed ADHD/some ASD issues when tested. Homeschooling is a great option for gifted kids!
Tor'sMama,

I don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily but my DW just told me that we got a 70% reimbursement from our insurance company.

Apparently, the tester gave us a receipt with a diagnosis code and when DW submitted it she got money from them.

In bed now but will try to get the paperwork dug up over the next couple of days and I will let you know what the code was...
Posted By: cmguy Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/26/15 03:04 AM
I think that Flex Spending Account dollars can also be used for Psychological Testing (including IQ testing).
Oh, congratulations!! It's always so exciting to have some proof, even if it's just for yourself. And good job to your son, too!
Originally Posted by madeinuk
Tor'sMama,

I don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily but my DW just told me that we got a 70% reimbursement from our insurance company.

Apparently, the tester gave us a receipt with a diagnosis code and when DW submitted it she got money from them.

In bed now but will try to get the paperwork dug up over the next couple of days and I will let you know what the code was...

Interesting! My son is on state medicaid though so I highly doubt they'd apprive anything, lol.
Posted By: aeh Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 02/27/15 03:39 AM
Interesting! My son is on state medicaid though so I highly doubt they'd apprive anything, lol.
Actually, this may not be true. At work (a public school), we have far better success getting services for kids on medicaid than private insurance. Mostly, we try to connect children to therapeutic and wrap-around services, but I would not be surprised if the same thing applies to psych/neuropsych evals, as it has come up with psychiatric evals.
TorsMum,

Here are the codes:-

96101 and v72.85

I hope they help!
Yeah! So happy for you and yours. It is great for now and for the future - wonderful news.

You expressed it so beautifully, like you are always keeping a little secret, because you really can't share everything; it is such an interesting, ongoing conundrum.

What is JHU CTY?
JHU = Johns Hopkins University
CTY = Center for Talented Youth
Posted By: Ivy Re: Screaming From The Rooftops! So Excited! - 03/31/15 11:08 PM
Congratulations! Those are amazing scores!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum