Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: somewhereonearth MAP test question - 11/27/14 02:43 AM
I recall reading somewhere that there are different groupings of MAP tests. Like, K-2, 2-5, 5-12. Does anyone know if that is true? If yes, what are the groupings? Thanks
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: MAP test question - 11/27/14 03:03 AM
its k-2, 2-5 and 6 plus.

Our district switches from primary (k-2) at 2nd grade. My dd is in 5th grade and taking 6+ for math.
Posted By: somewhereonearth Re: MAP test question - 11/27/14 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
its k-2, 2-5 and 6 plus.

Our district switches from primary (k-2) at 2nd grade. My dd is in 5th grade and taking 6+ for math.

Thanks! So, then how do you find out if a child has hit the ceiling on his test? DS8 recently took his MAP test and his scores went down from last year. Of course, he could have had an off day. But it seemed rather odd.
Posted By: BenjaminL Re: MAP test question - 11/27/14 04:46 AM
Have you seen this chart:

https://www.nwea.org/content/uploads/2014/10/Standard-RIT-Reference-Brochure-Digital.pdf

Posted By: Ametrine Re: MAP test question - 12/01/14 01:28 AM

Thanks!

Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: MAP test question - 12/01/14 02:12 AM
Are you willing to share his scores and previous scores?
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: MAP test question - 12/01/14 11:44 PM
You'll have to dig a little, but there is a ton of information on the official site. www.legacysupport.nwea.org as well as assorted sources from various school districts.

Anyhow, from my previous readings, the maximum rit score appears to be 320 on MAP math and 300 on MAP reading. However, it is rare to see scores near these hard ceilings so I have seen references to 300 and 280/290 as the "ceilings" for math and reading respectively. Furthermore, for Spring of 11th grade, you only need 286 to hit 99th percentile on MAP math and 266 to hit 99th percentile on MAP reading. Note though that you need 290 to hit 99th percentile for end-of-course Geometry students. I think it may be that you are dealing with a slightly higher ability population there. Furthermore, there is a suggestion of possible soft ceiling effects at much lower levels. I believe I have seen 245 for reading, which by my extrapolation would be about 265 for math.

HTH

Disclaimer: Please don't accept these numbers at face value as I am obviously too lazy to bother pulling the sources that I had previously investigated and am relying on memory and patterns in RIT scores (which are equal interval).
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum