Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Lepa Son refused to write name on WPPSI IV - 10/24/14 09:11 PM
My son, who is almost five, took the WPPSI IV test yesterday. We will receive the results in the next two weeks. The psychologist who administered the test didn't say anything about how the test went (besides noting his strong verbal and auditory recall and exceptional focus) but she did note that my son refused to write his name on the back of the test. Instead, he used the ink marker and covered it with a bunch of dots.

My son is really struggling with handwriting and until recently he refused to write. He now labels his art and writes his name at preschool but he avoids writing when possible. I told the psychologist that my son can write his name but doesn't like to. Will this refusal affect his score?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!
Posted By: aeh Re: Son refused to write name on WPPSI IV - 10/27/14 09:47 PM
Nope! Writing your name is not a scored portion of the WPPSI. I expect this was mentioned as a notable clinical observation. The ink dauber is used on the WPPSI for this very reason (to avoid handwriting confounds).
Posted By: Lepa Re: Son refused to write name on WPPSI IV - 11/01/14 06:20 AM
Thanks so much for your reassuring response. I think he enjoyed and cooperated with all the other requests/activities but I was worried this would affect the results. We are still anxiously awaiting results and hoping they are within a range to get him into a gifted school that we believe would be a good fit for him.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum