Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Tears4fears NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/16/14 11:49 PM

Calling all NWEA MAP experts! Does anyone know at what RIT score a student ceilings out on the NWEA MAP reading and math test 2-5? Are they then able to score higher on the 6+? I am finding conflicting information.

Some say the 2-5 test tops out at 240-250 at reading and 250-260 at math, while the 6+ test can go to 300 in reading and 320 in math.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 12:11 AM
No idea if this is the most current information, but I found this:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1nA_PlvjvwFTi5vMwRxlfmmVUJo63pfwn67ZAMHaV4oU

HTH!
Posted By: Tears4fears Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 12:32 AM
Thanks Loy58! Funny, that is the one document I've been able to find on the subject. If the info in that doc is true, then the 6+ does provide the opportunity to score higher.

With it being soooooo important to everyone (hint o' sarcasm there) that students show growth on standardized tests, I think they should be provided as ceiling-less an assessment as possible.

Anyone else know anything? Thank you in advance!

Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 01:01 AM
Thanks for the thread... I know now I need to check with DS8's math teacher to see if she's giving him the 6+.
Posted By: aeh Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 01:55 AM
The 99th %ile in the norm tables has the 2-5 math at about 260, and reading at 250. 6+ math at 290, reading 270. Though scores aren't invalidated by the software unless they're over 320, so that suggests a possible higher hard upper limit.

http://legacysupport.nwea.org/sites...202011%20Norms%20Report_01.17.2012_2.pdf

And I think we're all finding the same couple of documents out there...
Posted By: snowgirl Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 02:01 AM
All I know is that one of my kids scored over 270 for math at the end of 5th. This year, for fall 6th, I don't have scores yet, but his teacher said he was taking a very long time to finish it.

I doubt he was ever given the 6+ test when he was in 2-5
Posted By: Tears4fears Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 03:17 AM
Hmmm. Snowgirl, what grades are in your school? I wonder if they appropriately used the 2-5 and transitioned to the 6+ early. Or maybe the 2-5 does go up that high.

My issue is that our school is K-4, and admin there selected the 2-5 test (which made sense when it was selected a few years ago, I think, but now the school houses a program for HG/PG as well).

The 2-5 may be totally fine with a sufficient ceiling, but it may not, and I am having trouble finding definitive answers. Hmmm again ...

Posted By: snowgirl Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tears4fears
Hmmm. Snowgirl, what grades are in your school? I wonder if they appropriately used the 2-5 and transitioned to the 6+ early. Or maybe the 2-5 does go up that high.

It definitely goes that high. My ds has always scored well above the cutoff for the 99th percentile, so that wasn't his first math MAP over 260. I actually heard that there's a much younger student in the school who scored higher (but still under 300). In other words, the test doesn't stop just because you hit the 99th percentile - it keeps going - which is one of the things I like about it.

Eta, I don't know what the ceiling is, but the 270-something score was when he was part-way thorough algebra 1.
Posted By: Tears4fears Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/17/14 04:53 AM
Thanks snowgirl. And you feel sure the 260+ was on the 2-5 version? I am just wondering if there is a button on the MAP admin side of things that reads "transition to 6+ as necessary" that our school didn't hit, since they are K-4.

My particular area of interest is reading. My 4th grade voracious reader son has been 235-245 on the MAP test for a few years now and so I'm wondering if he can demonstrate more grown on the 2-5 test.

Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/18/14 01:08 AM
Our school district will NOT change a student from primary to 2-5 until 2nd grade. They also will not switch to 6+ until 6th grade in reading and accelerated in 5th (I believe magnet kids switch to math 6+ in 4th grade). DS (now in 3rd) hit the ceiling for the primary math in 1st grade with a 235.
Posted By: nicoledad Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/18/14 04:14 AM
since we are in the same district my daughter who is in magnet didn't change to 6+ math until 6th grade.. Her score was the same at the end of 5th grade as it was in the fall of 6th. I know the RIT score can be higher but there is also more of a possibility of getting a question wrong with questions being more difficult. I also learned that MAP testing doesn't mean much in junior high. The highest MAP score kids don't always get the highest test scores in my daughter's Geometry class.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/18/14 12:03 PM
nicoledad.. weird as my 5th grader changed to 6 plus this year. smile
Posted By: nicoledad Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/18/14 01:16 PM
It may be something that changed this year. I think the change into MAP 2-5 is more dramatic than 6+ especially in Math is by 5th grade or so it seems obvious what your child is going to be taking through high school.
Posted By: Quantum2003 Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/18/14 02:41 PM
I just wanted to chime in that has not been our experience. 260/250 are definitely not the upper limits on the Math/Reading MAP 2-5. We have seen higher scores many times. In fact, DS has never scored below 260 on the Math MAP 2-5 but has scored substantially above that.

I will say though it may be difficult to break the 250 barrier on the Reading MAP 2-5 due to unfamiliarity with technical literary terms or formal literary analysis techniques. I think that DS was able to score above 250 on the Reading MAP only because he has an extensive vocabulary and is extremely strong in non-fiction reading.
Posted By: Keerby Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 09/28/14 06:00 PM
My high scorers in MAP reading (I presume they got the 2-5 test) commented that they got questions on Latin roots. Based purely on anecdote I would tentatively agree that content not commonly taught in primary grades may make it difficult to get above 250.
Posted By: Xiangbaobao Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 10/01/14 07:07 PM
I am pretty sure that math score for grade 2-5 test can go beyond 260. My DD8 got over 270 in the beginning of the 4th grade. I know a kid who got over 280 at the end of 3rd grade and another who got 290 at the end of 4th grade. They all took grade 2-5 test. For our district, the high achievers can switch math test to 6th grade at the beginning of 5th grade but not before 5th grade.

Posted By: mecreature Re: NWEA MAP test 2-5 vs. 6+ - 10/01/14 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Keerby
My high scorers in MAP reading (I presume they got the 2-5 test) commented that they got questions on Latin roots. Based purely on anecdote I would tentatively agree that content not commonly taught in primary grades may make it difficult to get above 250.

When my ds was in 4th grade I had him doing Caesar's English 1 and 2 at home. He commented one day after taking a MAP test that he had several questions that he knew because he had just read it in his Caesar's English book.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum