Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: chris1234 SCAT questions - 09/08/08 08:53 AM
I was looking at the info on the jhu-cty site about the scat for 3rd graders.
I have two basic questions. What is the highest score a child can achieve on these tests, just to have some idea how many correct answers a score of 435 or so would have to be (out of 55 questions on each of 2 sections).

I thought I could give my son the short sample test on the site to get an idea of whether to even have him sign up, which leads to my 2nd question. If he is in 3rd, would he take the test for 3rd graders? That is, I am trying to clarify if the 3rd grade SCAT is designed to be above grade level for those grades. The sample tests are grouped into 2/3rd grade, 4/5th grade, etc.

Thanks for any info!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: SCAT questions - 09/08/08 10:07 AM
Excellent info, thank you Dottie, my early morning pal! I was hoping not to have to wait all day to find out. smile

He says he enjoys those tests where you fill in the dots, so I will have him give the practice one a go, and see if it makes sense to go forward.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: SCAT questions - 09/08/08 11:48 PM
Yes, I read a bit about that, I will definitely give him some tips on taking the test if he wants to go for it. Seems like the schedule on the site says he couldn't take it until May so we've got some time. I think I read on one of the other postings on this forum that once a child clicks to the next question, there's no going back.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: SCAT questions - 09/09/08 09:25 AM
hmmmmm.. Maybe I was looking at the wrong chart or something. I did go ahead and register so I will get the packet soon with all the right info for this year. I appreciate you mentioning it though! I'd hate to get ds all interested in it and then miss the darn thing frown

That did seem a bit late to me, considering having time to get results back and, if eligible, sign up for anything for the summer - so Dec/Jan/Feb make much more sense (and it still seems like a good amount of time to get him familiar with the format of the questions and the test).
Muchos gracias!

Posted By: shaangi Re: SCAT questions - 09/09/08 06:10 PM
hi Chris/ Dottie,
same boat as Chris- registered to take the test soon.
Quick question: would you know what is the earliest one can expect any kind of results- raw score, standard score, any score(!).
I called Prometric and they just said JHU will snail mail in 3 weeks !
Thanks in advance
Posted By: shaangi Re: SCAT questions - 09/09/08 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot Dottie.
Posted By: Nandini Re: SCAT questions - 09/12/08 02:13 PM
I am new on this site and new to the SCAT/CTY world. No real school support but since I was interested, have registered etc. Wondering if any of you could provide me with some ideas on how I can have my son take practice tests i.e. where can I find some? He in 3rd grade. thanks a bunch.

Posted By: Cathy A Re: SCAT questions - 09/12/08 04:30 PM
There are some sample tests on the jhu-cty website.
Posted By: Rick Re: SCAT questions - 09/21/08 12:14 AM
Is there a study guide for the SCAT or a web site, beside the sample questions on the John Hopkins site?

How do I prep my 3rd grader to take the test on the computer
Posted By: ienjoysoup Re: SCAT questions - 09/25/08 01:42 PM
we will be signing up for this as well, I found a pdf from JH. The test looks pretty advanced, but you decide.... I googled "scat Test examples" also there is someone selling a prep book.

But that seems like a bad idea- You get your kid all prepped for some test and he does great.... and then he (or she) ends up in some program that is way over there head and they feel like a loser cause they don't get it. Meantime, maybe other kids at school treat them like they are a freak already.... Yeaah, I don't think I'm up for that. lol
Posted By: Priti Re: SCAT questions - 11/24/08 09:28 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm very new to this whole thing about the SCAT. We just got the info on jhu-cty and i'm looking at all the application criteria. What I can't seem to find is how do I actually sign up to take the SCAT??? Any suggestions??? Thanks
Posted By: Priti Re: SCAT questions - 11/25/08 10:26 AM
Thanks Dottie. That helps. I thought the testing was done prior to any application to cty. Thanks again
Posted By: momx2 Re: SCAT questions - 12/07/08 02:22 AM
Quick question: Does a child have to score the minimum in both Verbal and Math to qualify for CTY programs? From their charts, it appears so since they list mins for both... TIA...
Posted By: Cathy A Re: SCAT questions - 12/07/08 02:25 AM
I think you can sign up for the verbal classes if you qualify in verbal and math classes if you qualify in math.

My kids took SCAT today. We'll see how it goes...I'm doubtful about DS6 since he's young for grade, but what the heck smile
Posted By: momx2 Re: SCAT questions - 12/07/08 02:38 AM
Hi Cathy - Good luck! DS7 took it today too. How does it affect eligibility for the year-round programs for grades 2-4 (not the summer ones). In other words, do they need to qualify on both portions to attend those family programs?
Posted By: Cathy A Re: SCAT questions - 12/07/08 02:56 AM
I thought the family programs were open to all participants? I don't think you need a certain score. I could be wrong, though. We haven't done any of the family programs.

From http://cty.jhu.edu/family/index.html

All CTY Talent Search participants are eligible to attend Family Academic Programs. There are no minimum qualifying scores required, so do not wait for test scores to sign up. Online registration will be available in mid to late August.
Posted By: momx2 Re: SCAT questions - 12/07/08 03:35 PM
Thanks Cathy and Dottie... Not sure how I missed that you don't need to wait for score to register for the family programs. Here I was waiting to test DS before registering... At least I don't have to wait for the results and can submit my application now. That certainly takes the pressure off regarding the scores. Just to be absolutely clear, taking the SCAT and receiving the appropriate score allows a child to participate in educational programs for that particular section and/or summer programs? Does it affect anything else? Also, are there other programs we can participate in without the necessary scores? TIA... I did read the website but I seem to have missed several key points...
Posted By: momx2 Re: SCAT questions - 12/08/08 03:11 PM
I appreciate the clarifications and the information. I don't find that website to be particularly user-friendly but then again, I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for! Based upon test results, we'll know how to proceed other than the family programs which we can participate in now. Thanks again smile
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/13/09 11:12 PM
My DS6 took the SCAT today. Quick question: Does anyone know approximately how many questions a 2nd grader needs to get correct to qualify? I read that for 3rd graders it seemed to be around 35 out of 50.
Also, anyone get scores back yet for 2nd or 3rd grade and anything interesting to share on that?
Thanks
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/14/09 01:16 PM
Thanks Dottie, you are always so helpful. I expect he will do quite well on the verbal. I don't think he will hit the math though, especially since he ran out of time, but we will see. We will re-test next year anyway, since he is a young 6. I'll be watching the mailbox. As parents, we are just happy that there is an an out-of-grade test that he can take now, so we can get some idea of how he compares.
Most importantly it was his first standardized test and he loved the experience! The testing room was filled with adults and he didn't seem fazed in the least.
Posted By: mom2three Re: SCAT questions - 01/14/09 04:18 PM
Well...since we're on the topic of SCAT I thought I'd throw out a question I have. I paid the fee to JHU for the talent search. I then received the paperwork to register for the test. I realized then that she would test based on her grade level and NOT her age. Here's the problem, she turned 6 in May and should be a first grader, but she was double grade accelerated to third. If she was a first grader she would qualify on her WPPSI score,but because she is a third grader she must take the test to qualify (I called JHU to confirm this). So now she must take the test for 2/3 grade which I understand is really a test for 5/6 graders! Yikes, she's good at math, but I don't know if she's THAT good! She took the practice tests and got 100% on the math and not so good on the verbal.
Is it worth paying the $50 for her to take the 2/3 grade test? Is it really similar to the practice test?

Thanks for your help,

L
Posted By: mom2three Re: SCAT questions - 01/14/09 10:00 PM
Thanks Dottie for your advice. I guess we will let her take it and see what happens. She should do ok on the math if the practice test is accurate, so that would be good.
I agree that the grade skips, although great for her academically and socially, do have their drawbacks when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks again, L
Posted By: lanfan Re: SCAT questions - 01/14/09 10:15 PM
SCAT Results are in!! I'm happy but also feeling a bit guilt. My DD7 took the test and I did not prep her at all...meaning I didn't say guess on hard questions and move on so she got stock and didn't finish the math section. Um..head hung low here. I also let her stay up a bit late the night before and then had to drag her out bed to make the 7:45am appt. She was not happy. However she did get some pretty rockin' scores.

Verbal 438
Quant 433

Aack!! So close on the math but oh well. Anyone have any insight? Should I retest under better conditions and see what she can really do? Should I send these in as part of gifted evaluation process going on at her public school right now. Her verbal says 87% for 4th grade which sound pretty darn impressive to me but I don't have much perspective. Anyway thanks as always!

Posted By: lanfan Re: SCAT questions - 01/14/09 11:06 PM
Hi Zia,

My DD7 qualified for Verbal with a 438 which translates into 38/50. She just missed the Math with a 433 which translates into 28/50. FYI my DD took the test on January 10th and we got scores back today. How's that for speedy! Expect yours very soon and good luck!!! One additional thought. I didn't expect my DD to do well on the Math as it is not her strong area but she only answered 40 of the 50 questions and still got pretty darn close so chances are good.

best
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/15/09 12:08 AM
Thanks Ianfan,
Congrats to your daughter, those are great scores. I made the same mistake of not reviewing with my son that the test was timed and he should move on if he is stuck so as to get the chance to complete more. Please let us know if you decide to retest. I'll be watching for our results. Do they give you percentiles as comparisons for 4th, 5th and 6th grade?
Posted By: cym Re: SCAT questions - 01/16/09 08:58 PM
One note regarding the jhu cty summer programs. There ARE programs for grades 2-12. I believe the 2-4 are day programs and starting in 5th, they can do either day camp or residential.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: SCAT questions - 01/16/09 09:01 PM
Are the percentiles for gifted 5th graders if you test in 3rd or for ND 5th graders?
Posted By: lanfan Re: SCAT questions - 01/17/09 12:51 AM
On the percentiles I can tell you my dd's verbal of 438 was in the 87% for 4th graders apparently high enough to get an invitation to the awards ceremony...yeah! Her math score at 433 was 57% for 4th grade, not fabulous by JHU standards but I was pretty pleased.
Posted By: Barbara Re: SCAT questions - 01/17/09 01:32 AM
How does one get notified of an invitation to an awards ceremony? Did you get that with the info packet? Or did it come separately?

thanks! and congrats to your dd!
Posted By: MNTCMom Re: SCAT questions - 01/17/09 04:34 AM
DS8.25 (3rd Grd) took the SCAT (2nd-3rd) on 12/20 and just got the score today. Both are 41/50, with verbal of 443 (80percentile) and math of 454 (87percentile). He got out the testing room 10min after the verbal part; and finally 15min after the math after I told him that he should at least have reviewed the answers; but maybe he just knows only that much.

Because we are in MN, which is covered by NUMAT, the elementary school even has a contact assigned for NUMAT. But now all the local NUMAT registration for EXPLORE is full and the closet one open is at least an hour away. I don't plan on dragging him up at 6am then for him to take a three-hour test.

Given the GT program is mostly to keep their creativity up and the PTC is coming up in a week, will it be appropriate for me to share this SCAT results with the teacher at PTC? Pardon my lack of knowledge in GT area, I don't know if the thoughts of grade skipping should even come into mind. Even that, I think the social skills will be the first concerned feedback from the teacher. I know in the reading area at school, they have more freedom and he is encouraged to read harder ones; but the math contents and progress at school is really getting me inpatient. But of course I don't want to rub teacher the wrong way. Or am I getting ahead of myself?
Posted By: lanfan Re: SCAT questions - 01/17/09 05:07 PM
My dd said she had extra time and was able to go back and check her answers on the verbal sections. On the math it wasn't relevant since she ran out of time at question #40. :-)
Posted By: MNTCMom Re: SCAT questions - 01/17/09 06:29 PM
Thanks, Dottie. I will sure use that blurb when I discuss the results with the teacher. Thanks again.
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:08 AM
Hi everyone,
We were very excited to receive our son's SCAT scores today. I did have to fib about his age and grade to qualify him for the second grade test (he turned 6 in October and is technically Kindergarten although we home school) but his scores are awesome and I know a little bragging is accepted here.

Since he only finished 35/55 math questions, I didn't expect him to do too well, but he finished with a 431..so close to the magic 435 he needed but still 50% to all fourth graders.

He did score a 450 in Verbal - 96th percentile!

I hope he will enjoy the online programs for the verbal and I will re-test him probably in six months to see if he can qualify for math.

Thanks to Dottie and Ianfan for providing info about the test while I anxiously awaited the results.

Posted By: squirt Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:11 AM
Mine takes it on Friday, so I'll be the one waiting. I'm just doing it out of curiosity - won't make any difference as to programs or services. We'll see . . .
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:23 AM
Squirt,
My two cents, especially if your child isn't too familiar with standardized tests is to let them know it is a timed test.
I didn't tell him and do regret it. I would also insist that my child take the full time break between tests. My son only took a minute or two since he was anxious to finish.
Posted By: incogneato Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:55 AM
Yeah! WOW! Congrats!
Posted By: Mia Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:55 AM
Zia, that's great! That verbal score is phenomenal!

I thought about fibbing for ds6, but he's at his dad's both weekends, worse luck. Did anyone say anything, or notice? My conscience worries me a bit! smile
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 12:59 AM
Thanks Dottie,
It was a nice experience for all of us. I wish I didn't have to fib though to participate. Any idea why younger homeschool kids can't test even when they can show advanced grade level work but traditional grade-accelerated kids can, regardless of age?
I know the program has been around for many, many years so I suspect they have their reasons.
I never was a great rule follower.
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 01:07 AM
Hi Mia,
I was a little worried, too, but when we arrived no one said anything. I was very relieved. About half way through the testing our son was "noticed" basically because he was so small and stood out in a room full of adults. Then we got friendly questions about how old he was, etc.
I justified it by telling myself and my husband (who needed a little more convincing) that if we had enrolled him in school he would be skipped to second this year anyway and then he could have tested legally. So, same kid, same age, shouldn't really matter.
Posted By: Zia's Mom Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 01:36 AM
Good points Dottie. That is why the awards for SCAT are nice, I wish our state had them. Recognition is hard to get when accelerated. As I have mentioned in other posts, my son is a chess player. Even though he was 4 and 5 he played in tournaments against much older kids. When he went to his first tournament this fall after a long summer break of no play (still only 5), he wanted to play "down" against kids K-3. The parents of those kids actually were angry that he wasn't playing in a higher division. That was one of the last tournaments he played in. That line of age-appropriate and talent-appropriate recognition is hard to straddle. I think these kids need a little of both to stay well-balanced.
Posted By: mamaandmore Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 01:39 AM
I thought about testing DS7 this year also, because at home he's working ahead on his own. I finally decided that I don't know how long he's going to be quite so far ahead and would rather have that extra time with the testing. We'll probably test him as a 2nd grader next year when he's technically a 2nd grader. But, then I start to feel guilty because he's already working at a 4th grade level and is it fair to have him tested as above level when it's not *really* above level.

Anyway, I just thought it was interesting that it seems that there are cloudy ethical points no matter when you test as a homeschooler. Either you fudge their age or you fudge their grade, but it's almost impossible to have the correct age/grade match for the tests.
Posted By: lanfan Re: SCAT questions - 01/21/09 06:20 PM
Wow Zia,

That is a fabulous verbal score!!! We will wait until next year to retest. The local classes are sooo expensive that it just doesn't seem worth it. Congrats to you and your son!!
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: SCAT questions - 03/16/10 01:16 PM
I found this information by google. It may be helpful to some parents want to be familiar with the materials.
http://120perhour.com/scat-sample-test-index.htm
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: SCAT questions - 03/26/10 07:01 PM
I found the practise questions for my son at http://120perhour.com/scat-sample-test-index.htm
I helped my son to be familiar with the math question format.
It's very helpful.
Posted By: RAO Re: SCAT questions - 05/13/10 04:09 PM
This sample test costs about $6. While it is not much, your $6 might be better spent buying a book from critical thinking. It had about 1 page for 2nd grade out of the 36pages.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: SCAT questions - 05/13/10 05:54 PM
Helenjhq, you've posted that link 5 times now (and have only made one other post, ever). Are you here for any reason other than to post it?
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: SCAT questions - 05/24/10 02:00 PM
Dear ColinsMum,
Yes, I am pretty busy with my two kids now. I was prepared my son's CTY SCAT test then when I posted it. Now I am busy with my son's sport activities now. :-) He has table tennis private classes 3 times a day.
BTW, I got a card from CTY saying that my son will receive an invitation letter to the state award ceremony around August. I don't know if it worths to drive there to attend the ceremony.
I didn' register my son for CTY summer programs. He is too young this year. I might register him next year. I also think about apply for Davidson Young Scholar program for him next year. All my best wishes to parents who have gifted children.
Posted By: Helenjhq Re: SCAT questions - 05/24/10 03:39 PM
Dear ColinsMum,

My recent interest goes to the early entrance programs.
http://www.earlyentrancefoundation.org/peep/PR/EEPs-recruitment/index.html

Davidson has early college program inside U. Neveda, Reno.
But I am more interested in the CSULA EEP program. I believe it's terrific program for some kids who is 4 grade advanced.
Thanks,
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum