Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Pinecroft MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 03:17 PM
I will cross post this in the regions forum, but does anyone know anything about the laws in MA regarding providing full test results? DS8 was tested last year at school, and qualified for the extended norms on the verbal section of his WISC. But the school psychologist will not give me the raw scores, saying: "Unfortunately, raw data cannot be provided as they would violate
issues of test confidentiality."

Test confidentiality? Confidential to the parents of a minor? Huh? I know from someone who received an email "accidentally" (talk about violating issues of confidentiality!) that this isn't the first time she's been difficult about giving parents test scores (I don't know what the scores requested were in the other instance, just that it was an similar situation - and that she was quite rude in the email to boot).

Honestly, I don't know if this is even worth pursuing, but I'm so annoyed from my repeated attempts to get the info that I'm feeling like I don't want to let it drop :-) I guess knowing that his VCI is likely above what is stated is enough, but at the same time, I also feel like I should have as much information as I can and as accurate a picture of my son as I work to figure out what is best for him education wise (he's a 2e kid with a huge disparity in his scores).

But before I push any further, I want to know if I have a leg to stand on here...

Thanks!!
Posted By: revmom Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 03:56 PM
Not a specific answer to your question, but I had a similar thing happen with my DDs scores from her tester. In our case, however, the tester was the ed psych department at a state school. They finally caved and gave me the raw scores when I told them I planning a consult with Johns Hopkins. Good luck.
Posted By: syoblrig Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 04:10 PM
In our state, there's a law that parents are entitled to everything in the student's files. Therefore, if they have the raw scores, I have the raw scores (not that our district does WISC testing!). If I were you, I would look around your district's web site about parental rights to student info.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 05:14 PM
On the one hand FERPA says:
"•Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for parents or eligible students to review the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies."

On the other hand:
The coding form for the WISC includes details of the specific elements of the test like the diagrams for the picture completion. Confidentiality here is in regards to the content of the WISC rather than student confidentiality. I read something awhile ago that suggested they must show you the test forms on demand, but should not copy them due to the contractual obligation to the test maker.

So, they can either show you the coded forms on record or they could transfer the raw scores without the scoring form.

I'm looking for the article that I read that specified this. I think it was on Wrightslaw. In any case it is a question of federal law unless state law is even more specific.
Posted By: 22B Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 06:40 PM

We've been through this. It took us weeks, but we got the records in the end. Don't give up. You are entitled to these records.

Originally Posted by Pinecroft
"Unfortunately, raw data cannot be provided as they would violate issues of test confidentiality."

They tried this one on us too, but it's clearly ridiculous. You just want your own childs scores, not the test questions.
Posted By: Irena Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by 22B
We've been through this. It took us weeks, but we got the records in the end. Don't give up. You are entitled to these records.

Originally Posted by Pinecroft
"Unfortunately, raw data cannot be provided as they would violate issues of test confidentiality."

They tried this one on us too, but it's clearly ridiculous. You just want your own childs scores, not the test questions.

I am wondering why do they do this? What are they trying to hide? A potential mistake? Or do they just not feel like providing the scores (but I would think persisting in fighting causes more work)? Just curious why they wouldn't just provide the raw scores.
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 08:37 PM
Found a link covering the concept through the National Assocation of School Psychologists:
http://www.nasponline.org/publications/cq/cq341protocols.aspx

Posted By: Grinity Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 09:29 PM
I think that getting a private Psychologist who is willing to do a 'chart review' might be a worthwhile investment, if that's possible for your family. The Psychologist can then give you the information you need. If your child is 2E, perhaps you already have a trusted resource that can advise you. Perhaps a willing Pediatrician might be willing to send such a letter on your behalf.

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: LNEsMom Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 09:49 PM
Federal law states that you have a right to anything in your child's educational record except for informal notes by the testers, etc. You are legally allowed to view your child's records in full. The school psychologist is either misinformed or hiding something (more than likely the former, though).

I would print out a copy of FERPA, highlight the relevant passages and give it to her. Actually, I would let my husband do it because he's an attorney and I enjoy watching him make annoying people squirm sometimes. smile

You are within your rights. If there is something attached to the raw scores that would violate test confidentiality, then they need to remove it.

Good luck!
Posted By: LNEsMom Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/09/13 09:49 PM
Of course, Grinity's approach would be a much nicer way of getting what you want, though! smile
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 12:37 AM
In Australia it's incredibly difficult to get a psychologists to release even the subtest scores (often you can't even get numbers, only percentiles for the indexes). I have never known anyone in Australia to get raw scores - specifically to protect the test (and us poor stupid parents need to be protected from ourselves of course too). The only way to get slightly more info is exactly as Grinity suggests - to get another psychologist to request the results.
Posted By: Pinecroft Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 03:06 AM
Hi -- Thanks everyone for the replies. I think Grinity might have hit on a good solution for me -- I might ask my pediatrician if he'll ask for it. Then I don't have to pay for further assessment, and I don't have to deal with this woman any further. I *might* ask our principal to look into it further for me too, but she's a little clueless on this stuff, so I'm guessing nothing will come of it (but she is our building 504 administrator, so wouldn't that mean she's supposed to?).

I repeatedly question whether or not this is even something I really need. As I mentioned in my original post, I am partly pursuing it just because I'm annoyed that I've been pushed off (I got no reply to my first attempts to get it from her, I had to reach out the the principal to get any email response). What are your thoughts - is this actually important information to know? I'm dealing with a kiddo with pretty large score scatter (verbal of 150 - with 19s on two subtests - but a processing speed score of 97); is it going to make much difference to find out if its an even broader scatter than what I already know? We don't get any GT type services, nothing is offered here, so the score being higher isn't going to help us with anything. The testing was completed as part of a full eval that was targeted at determining other issues (specifically sensory processing), so they don't 'care' that he tests as gifted.
Posted By: momoftwins Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 01:05 PM
I would change tactics and ask the school psychologist to calculate the score with the extended norms, in addition to asking your ped or another psychologist to request the scores. I calculated one of my DS' GAI scores on my own, and then asked the school psy. to calculate his GAI. Your post reminded me that I need to go back and ask her to look at the extended norms (which was something I didn't realize could be done when we had the original testing done last year. )
Posted By: Irena Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by momoftwins
I would change tactics and ask the school psychologist to calculate the score with the extended norms, in addition to asking your ped or another psychologist to request the scores. I calculated one of my DS' GAI scores on my own, and then asked the school psy. to calculate his GAI. Your post reminded me that I need to go back and ask her to look at the extended norms (which was something I didn't realize could be done when we had the original testing done last year. )

In what situations should extended norms be calculated? How can I tell whether or not extended norms should calculated (in order to request it)? When the subtest score is 19? 18? How can I tell if it has been calculated?
Posted By: Zen Scanner Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 01:59 PM
You can tell the extended norms were used if there are subtest scores greater than 19; it should also be noted. The WISC Extended Norms document suggests calculating the extended norms when at least one subtest is a 19 (may have hit the ceiling) and at least one other is 18 or 19.
Posted By: Irena Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 02:28 PM
Ah thanks Zen!
Posted By: Pinecroft Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 04:12 PM
Good idea about asking her to do the extended norms. I will try that - I'm guessing I'll get zero reply, but its worth a shot!
Posted By: momoftwins Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/10/13 04:34 PM
Make sure you request it in writing, not just verbally - send her a letter requesting the extended norms. Good luck.
Posted By: 75west Re: MA laws on raw scores WISC - 09/15/13 01:11 AM
Whatever you do - put it in writing and make a copy for yourself. Document everything and create a paper trail.

I'm in MA and there's no state mandate to provide gifted services. Legally, the MA schools are only obligated to provide a general curriculum. Now, I've heard some cities and towns do have g/t programs here and there, but there's nothing on the books across the state and you are still at the mercy of the school district and any localized policy regarding g/t accommodations.

My 2e/pg son has already been in two private gifted schools here and neither one would/could accommodate or rapidly accelerate him. IF you've got a child who is operating 2-3 grade levels or is advanced in one or two subjects, you'll be in better hands in trying to get any accommodation.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum