Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Chana DYS Waiting... - 07/25/13 08:27 AM
So, looks like I will be the first one to post the monthly "I'm obsessing and looking for others to obsess with me for the next few days as we await THE EMAIL as to whether or not our darling children were accepted into DYS." post. Whose with me?
Posted By: MaddyCO Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/25/13 04:17 PM
Oh, you beat me to the post! (I just registered to ask this very same thing) Joining you in obsessing! I have a daughter going into 7th Grade.
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/26/13 12:32 AM
Hi -- I'm waiting, too. Nice to have company.
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/26/13 01:41 AM
Hi MaddyCO, I have a DD10 skipping into 6th. I thank God for these boards. If not anything else, its nice to be able to talk about my daughter in a normal way knowing that everyone else's kid is just as exceptional if not more and that any question about a weakness does not lessen my claims about her intelligence.
Posted By: MaddyCO Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/26/13 03:08 AM
Hi back, DRTrum! I'm glad you mentioned skipping (we'd considered that and still are thinking of a possible 7-8 combination, but that would put my daughter into high school at age 13....). Sigh.... I'll post as soon as we hear from the Davidson program.
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/26/13 04:15 PM
Hi dsandmj,

I am hoping we hear something today but thinking it will more likely be Monday. I am really hoping that we can connect with a good mentor through this program and I could use the consulting. MaddyCO, my concerns are the same as yours. I am thinking that we will do a transition year after 8th grade so that she will start high school at her proper age. Don't ask me what I mean by that because I don't know yet.
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/26/13 10:31 PM
Wow -- I'm so happy to connect with you! My DS is skipping into 9th grade this fall and will indeed be 13 in high school! We've been battling with the middle school principal and the district superintendent's office for the last two years. So I'm relieved, but also a bit anxious. I feel like, all of a sudden, I have to start thinking about college. Part of the reason I was eager to do DYS was to get sup-port for me! blush
Posted By: dbase Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/27/13 12:30 AM
Anxiously waiting to hear for my DS6... Good Luck to you all out here!
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/27/13 01:27 PM
Looks like we are waiting for next week. Oh well.
Posted By: MaddyCO Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/27/13 02:40 PM
Sigh.... Waiting.... I'm wonder if we will get assigned mentors soon enough for help with curriculum/enrichment for the new school year? (And drtrum, I won't ask what kind of transition year, but would love to hear your ideas sometime when you're ready!).
Posted By: KADmom Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/29/13 11:53 AM
Good luck to all waiting!!
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/29/13 11:41 PM
Thanks KADmom. Looks like we will might be doing at least another day or two of it.
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/30/13 07:30 PM
Did everyone submit portfolios of work samples? Did anyone just submit test scores?
Posted By: dbase Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/30/13 09:25 PM
Did anyone hear anything today?
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/31/13 06:19 PM
I just received my DD10's acceptance email into DYS. I am so relieved.
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/31/13 06:54 PM
I just submitted test scores
Posted By: dbase Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/31/13 09:12 PM
DS6 is accepted into the DYS program.
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 07/31/13 09:59 PM
Congrats drtrum!

I just submitted test scores, too, and I'm still waiting to hear. Well, there's only a few hours left in the day, so I'm assuming I will hear soon enough!
Posted By: KADmom Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/01/13 01:26 AM
Wonderful!
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/02/13 12:13 AM
Congratulations dbase!
Posted By: gabalyn Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/02/13 02:34 AM
Congrats, everyone!
Posted By: Gardengirl09 Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/03/13 05:22 AM
Hi,
I'm relatively new to all of this. We had our DD 6 tested at school and was given the CoGAT and scored highly. 96% Verbal 92% Q 94% NV. We also visited with a child psychologist about some asynchronous
issues. She gave her the WISC-IV (I think.....bad mommy for not remembering.)
She is going to send us a full report.. I do know that she scored 148 on the vocabulary section and slightly lower in the timed portions, as she would start to talk and discuss the ways the test could be different, etc.
In order to qualify for the Davidson Young Scholars you need to submit two items from the approved list. So, would you recommend giving her another test, such as the Woodcock Johnson? Or, send in a portfolio? I'm not necessarily excited about giving her another test, as I don't want to over test her even though she thinks they are fun:-)
Has anyone sent in a portfolio for a child in K or first grade?

Thanks!
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 04:01 PM
Congratulations dbase!

I'm feeling so confused, as I have heard nothing from Davidson since June 26, when I received word that our application was complete and would be sent for review in July. I sent e-mail on August 1 and still nothing.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 05:43 PM
Okay, just spoke to someone at DYS and, although we have no idea why e-mails to both me and my husband were never received, DS13 was indeed accepted -- yay!
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 07:25 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 07:41 PM
Congratulations dsandmj! You never know with emails. I'm glad you didn't have trouble getting through on the phone.
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 07:47 PM
Gardengirl09, I don't think I know enough to answer your question. Looks like the WISC-iv score is high enough. Achievement tests seem easier to find when they are a little older. I avoided the portfolio because it seemed more uncertain and i had the achievement scores. I opted to pay for the Psychologist testing. If no one answers your question, who tried with a younger child, I suggest posting as an first post or searching further back on the big Davidson information post.
Posted By: MaddyCO Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/05/13 09:01 PM
OK, DD was accepted too. Weird thing is that the acceptance e-mail went only to my DD (not to either my e-mail address or my husband's e-mail address -- both of which received e-mails when the application was complete). In any event, filled out the next set of paperwork (enrollment) and waiting again! Congrats, everyone!
Posted By: Chana Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/06/13 03:08 AM
Congratulations MaddyCo. I'm glad to hear it. I filled out mine and sent in back within an hour on Wednesday. Friday I received an email saying that they were processing my enrollment form. God had his grace on me Wednesday. Thankfully, I didn't have email problems.
Posted By: dsandmj Re: DYS Waiting... - 08/06/13 05:12 PM
Congrats MaddyCO! And thanks, everyone! :-)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum