Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: SydsMom Next Move? - 01/13/13 06:18 AM
My child was not an early reader but has always had a firm grasp on math and numbers. She is a second grader and this year was labeled as a behavioral problem because she refuses to do "enrichment" work for math in addition to her classroom work. She sees it as a punishment. I suggested that she be moved into an appropriate class, which is assumed would be one grade level up. I'm not sure what transpired, but the school psych administered the Woodcock Johnson Test of Achievement and Syd received a Broad Math score of 140. I know it's high, but what exactly does this mean? They moved her into the higher math this week, but she's allready complaining that it is too easy. I am not sure what to do next.....
Posted By: SydsMom Re: Next Move? - 01/18/13 05:00 PM
Thanks. I think this is my next battle. It shouldn't be this hard.
Posted By: polarbear Re: Next Move? - 01/18/13 05:21 PM
I think my next move would be to request that the school give your dd some type of out-of-grade-level math achievement test more specifically tied to curriculum than the WJ-III so that you can have an idea of where she really is at re achievement vs grade level in your school district, and then I'd advocate to have her placed appropriately.

polarbear
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum