Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: W'sMama Accessing my own school records - 10/25/12 03:50 PM
Wondering if anyone has had success with getting their own school records years later. I'm interested in whatever testing may be somewhere in their files, specifically IQ testing. About a month ago I emailed the district where I graduated HS in CA asking for my records and got no response. Am I missing some kind of specific language I need to be using to get what I want?
Posted By: ljoy Re: Accessing my own school records - 10/25/12 04:11 PM
I called and asked for mine (rural California). I was too late - they shred them after 7 years. My best friend marched into the office and demanded her cume file on her 18th birthday. I wish I'd done the same.
Posted By: W'sMama Re: Accessing my own school records - 10/25/12 08:00 PM
Yeah really, that would have been the thing to do. So is shredding after 7 years standard for CA now?

I know that hasn't always been the case in my district because I worked int he office one summer and they had student files in there from 20+ years previously.
Posted By: ljoy Re: Accessing my own school records - 10/25/12 08:27 PM
Well, maybe not, but I hope the person on the other end of the call isn't still nursing a grudge or something... Very small district.

I think she said they only retain the transcript itself. She offered to look up whether the relevant teacher was still with the district so I could ask what they remembered, but that wasn't going to help me figure out which SB test was used on me, so I gave up.

I suggest you call rather than email. Let me know if you get anything. That grudge angle sounds more likely every minute, maybe I should try again. wink
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Accessing my own school records - 10/25/12 09:05 PM

School records always get destroyed or lost.

The schools really don't seem to care.

And I really need early IQ testing to present my mental retardation cases.

It's the biggest hurdle I generally face.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum