Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Hello all,
I have been lurking for a few days and decided to finally post as you all are so helpful.
My dear son age 9 was given WISC IV
We were not given the full results but the summary I was told he is in the 99th percentile and should be very happy (not sure if that is gifted) but something doesnt seem right...there is such a large gap between VCI and PRI.
This is what I was given
VCI = 146
PRI = 104
WMI = 144
PSI = 118
From what I have read this large gap may be a red flag?
What are your thoughts...I can always go back and ask for the detailed report.
He does have a very unusual profile. His high scores are very high and he is definitely gifted. However, his verbal IQ and perceptual reasoning are very significantly discrepant.

I would want the full report including his subtest scores. Has your DS had any academic difficulties? Have you seen any indication that he struggles with spatial ability, visual tasks, nonverbal reasoning (especially in math) or visual motor coordination? All of those skills play a role in PRI. Major discrepancies in the PRI subtests might give you more insight into any struggles your DS might be having.
Hi thanks so much for your response.
Actually yes I do have some concerns
His handwriting is horrible and his shoes are always untied...We took him to OT for a some sessions, but they said he was fine.
His academics are excellent, especially math. He loves to read and has a great vocabulary but when he is talking he seems to have difficulty getting to the point. He is a creative writer and spelling is hard to describe. For example if he has vocabulary words, he can memorize the definitions and spell them accurately for the test...but when he is doing an essay, he constantly mispells words that we know he knows how to spell.
I was thinking he might have a NLD but my husband says that it doesnt make sense because he is great at math and the Perceptual Reasoning score was not low (it was average) just lower. I am thinking that because of his high IQ he is compensating and it may be going unnoticed...but you know mothers notice EVERYTHING
I would definitely go back and ask for the detailed report. Having scores is nice, but a detailed report will help you interpret what those scores really mean. My DD has a very unusual profile as well. She has a high of 147 on PRI and a low of 107 on WMI. She is 2E and has ADHD inattentive type.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum