Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Born2Learn Young Scholars and 2e - 07/29/12 09:52 PM
Has anyone had a 2e child accepted into the young scholars?
Posted By: morgans-mommy Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 07/30/12 04:46 PM
Yes. My 6yr old DD is 2E and she is a young scholar.
Posted By: Kate Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/02/12 03:51 PM
My 2e son is a young scholar.
Posted By: Botchan Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/06/12 05:39 AM
My son with ASD is a young scholar.
Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/20/12 02:17 AM

My 2e ds was accepted. If you have the scores, apply.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/20/12 02:35 AM
How did you all handle the "have you ever consulted a psychologist" questions? I mean, inappropriate behavior is what drove us to the neuropsych, but it wasn't dangerous inappropriate behavior - just tantrums. Do we just include her report and answer questions if asked, or do your recommend something else?
Posted By: GPBD Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/20/12 03:30 AM
I think they're trying to weed out the people who are brilliant, but prefer to use their brilliance to effectively blow up landmarks and things like that. Tantrums are tantrums. I'd include it.
Posted By: Kate Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/20/12 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by ElizabethN
How did you all handle the "have you ever consulted a psychologist" questions? I mean, inappropriate behavior is what drove us to the neuropsych, but it wasn't dangerous inappropriate behavior - just tantrums. Do we just include her report and answer questions if asked, or do your recommend something else?

I included a report or two and described why we sought a psychologist. He had actually seen psychologists because of autism related problems before we even knew about his giftedness so it would have been weird to not include it. It was just one step in our path to finding out what makes him tick!
Posted By: Mom2277 Re: Young Scholars and 2e - 08/20/12 03:41 PM
I included an addendum describing why I sought services from a child psychologist for my son.

I also told the child psychologist he had seen and who tested tested him of DYS's required disclosure and apparent concerns. (The child psychologist identified him as gifted, and as a very seasoned tester of many, including gifted, children, also tested him.) She addressed why I had sought therapy for him and provided assurances in her report.

He was accepted, so the fact I had sought psychological services for him apparently didn't harm his suitability for DYS.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum