Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: moni Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 12:27 PM
Since Kriston suggested I do a waiting thread I thought I'd break out of my shy self to start one. smile So if anyone else is waiting this month like myself, please speak up so we can share the experience. smile
Thanks,
moni
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 12:57 PM
Good luck! Keeping all fingers crossed!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 12:58 PM
I'm glad you did! smile

Do be warned, though: we tend to get a little silly on waiting threads. It's all an effort to keep the waiting person distracted, so it's relevant to the thread. (Or at least that's what we tell ourselves...) But it is very, very silly!

So how are you doing with the wait, moni? Are you doing okay, or is it killing you?
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 01:29 PM
Thanks for that dazed& confused. smile
I don't mind things getting silly Kriston.
I've been doing pretty good with the wait...but after reading your "is it killing you bit" I'm a little nervous. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 01:46 PM
Oh! Sorry! blush I just meant that some people get really wound up and some are calm about it. I wondered which you were.

FWIW, I did well until the very end. I didn't think about it too much, just came here to joke around. So you certainly don't have to be nervous! In fact, I wouldn't recommend it!
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 03:57 PM
Dottie- Our application got there for the June 16th cutoff. I got a nice e-mail from the application review guy to say they received everything and we would hear from them in 3-4 weeks. So we have a bit of a wait. It would be nice to meet you all Dottie. smile
Kriston- I'm fine really smile Not very nervous at all. I'm sure I will be a little more though when the time gets closer.
Thanks again for your support...and have a fine day! smile
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/16/08 04:22 PM
Good Luck, Moni!
Posted By: crisc Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/17/08 12:03 AM
I was the glutton for punishment that Dottie refers to...it was a very long but rewarding wait.

Good luck!
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 06/17/08 11:18 AM
Thanks elh and crisc. smile
Posted By: ebeth Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 01:23 AM
Does anyone know approximately how many people apply to DSY on any given month? And how many are accepted? I was also curious if anyone had a rough guess as to how many kids of a certain age there are in this program? (How many 5-year olds or 8-year olds?)

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around basic numbers... How rare is it to have a kid accepted for the DYS program? I noticed on their main web site that they boast over 1300 kids are in the program. That's over a wide age range. I also didn't know if that included kids who had graduated from the program past the 18-year old mark? (provided that the program is old enough to have had any significant number graduate?)
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 02:38 AM
If you have DYS numbers for both IQ and achievement, do you still have to send portfolio information in? I seem to recall it was IQ and portfolio, if you couldn't afford/obtain further testing but I wasn't sure if you need portfolio if you had DYS numbers for both IQ and achievement. Do they turn down applicants even though they have 145+ on both IQ and achievement tests?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 04:30 AM
And if you're asking if you have to worry about not getting in during a given month with lots of applicants, ebeth, I don't think that's a concern.

They say something to the effect (my words, not literally theirs) that they take applicants who can demonstrate that they meet the qualifications. Period. The qualifications aren't sliding. It's pretty much a fixed bar, so some months they might have no one get over it, while other months they might have dozens get in. It shouldn't matter which month you apply. There's no monthly quota. I think that approach is rather unusual in nonprofits, and it might seem confusing.

Please forgive me if I read between the lines there too much. It just sounded to me as if that was what you were really wondering about.

smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 05:22 AM
Thanks, Kriston. I was wondering about that myself.
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 10:41 AM
I'm one of those people waiting to hear from them. I hope my mailman gives me the letter today. smile I've been so anxious this past week.
Thanks Dottie for the best wishes again.
smile
Posted By: ebeth Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 12:38 PM
Actually Kriston, that wasn't my concern. We aren't anywhere near being able to apply. Probably not until December at least, since we aren't going to have achievement testing done until fall with the school.

I was more interested in how large a group of age appropriate peers my DS8 might find if or when he joins. I was scoping out the support network that he might get socially.

Could anyone expound on this?
Posted By: ebeth Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 01:08 PM
Good morning, Dottie!

Right now I'm very, very happy with the support that I'm getting from this group!! (Thanks, and double thanks, everyone!!)

I'm just still processing what DYS is all about. I guess I have several months to let this sink in. I like Catherine's post about the stages of acceptance for giftedness. (see Gifted Traits as Toddlers) It is very, very true and very insightful. I think I went back to square one when I got DS8's WISC-IV results.

So this is me stuck simultaneously in stages 1, 2, and 3.
(like a cartoon character with its head spinning round and round and round!)

And best wishes from me as well, Moni. It just seemed a little bit strange that only one person was posting that they were waiting this month for an answer. It seems like there should be 20 or so people who are anxiously posting here. Where are the rest of them?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by ebeth
I was more interested in how large a group of age appropriate peers my DS8 might find if or when he joins. I was scoping out the support network that he might get socially.

Could anyone expound on this?

I'll add my perceptions to what Dottie said.

This is unofficial, but I feel like there are definitely more kids as they get older. Very few 5yos, not many more 6-7yos, a significant jump in 8yos, etc. That testing in 3rd grade seems to help get kids IDd, or at least that's my theory.

But where they are is very hit-or-miss. There are quite a number of DYS kids in our town. But most are teens and all are at least 3 years older than DS7, so there is no ready-made social network for us. At least not yet. The closest child in terms of both geography and age is the next state over, a couple of hours away, not far from my parents' home. They ski at the same place we ski, so we may get to see that family for ski outings. But for now, there's no one else around who wouldn't require an overnight stay to visit.

People in big cities obviously have better luck, but there are no weekly playdates for most of us. We are attending an informal get-together later in the summer, and that will include kids from the region, some of whom are in the same ballpark age-range as my son. That will be nice.

My hope is that DYS will get some more kids close to DS7 in both age and proximity once our state's mandatory GT testing happens in 3rd grade (if not before that). But it's worth being in the DYS group even if that doesn't happen. We at least have contact with like-minded peers. We have access to counselors and experts. We have parents who have BTDT we can ask about things. And we get the informal get-togethers and the Summit to see people.

It's well worth the cost of admission: free! Can't beat that price! smile

Oh, and as for where all the people waiting are...I suspect a lot fewer people apply during the summer. School and testing and such just aren't on the radar of most people right now, so the group is smaller. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 02:55 PM
I like the cousin comparison. That's just how it feels! But cousins with HG+ kids who give good advice. wink
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 05:09 PM
Dottie- thanks for the info. on that trip which might slow my letter down. I wish my mailman came earlier in the day....have to wait until 3 or 4. smile
ebeth- thanks for the best wishes. I was one of those people trying to get the application done and get recommendation letters at the end of school in early June. I was thinking of waiting until July when I had more time, but the teachers were on the ball with their forms and I had a sudden get'r done moment. smile
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 06:15 PM
I hope your wait will be over soon.

Finding local DYS is a hit of miss. It really depends where you live. It can go from "weekly math classes with other DYS homeschoolers" (I didn't make this one up, I heard this comment at the gathering) to not having anybody around.

I think we are really lucky. We found a couple of local YS boys similar age like DS5. I felt like we won the lottery! I cannot describe the difference it made for me and DS5 as well! Live PG kids!

BTW Does anybody else check the DYS database every month to see if there are any new "local" kids?
Posted By: Texas Summer Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 07:18 PM
Our city probably has one of the largest concentrations of DYSs in the country and we rarely have more than half a dozen children in any particular age group. We are an extremely active group so our kids have many opportunities to spend time with their peers but that is probably the exception more than the rule for most areas. Being a DYS at least opens the door to more opportunties for social interaction with peers.
Posted By: Ruby Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/14/08 10:32 PM
Good luck, Moni! I hope you hear from them soon. I've justed started my wait with the July 15th cut-off. I just recently found this board and you guys have so much information- it's been helpful to read about all of your experiences!
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/15/08 05:25 PM
Good luck to you, too, Ruby, and welcome. And good luck to Moni and everyone else.
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/15/08 06:09 PM
Thanks for the best wishes Ruby and questions. Good luck to you too Ruby. smile
Posted By: ebeth Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/15/08 06:36 PM
Does the DYS letter fall into the "thick" verses "thin" category, like college acceptance letters? I thought there would be years to go until I had to worry about that kind of thing!!
LOL!!

Here is hoping for a "thick" envelope for both of you, Moni and Ruby!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/15/08 07:01 PM
Just don't expect a big manilla envelope, like I did. The acceptance letter is just a business envelope! You might be disappointed with what you see at the mailbox when what's inside is actually happy news! smile
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/15/08 11:56 PM
Thanks for that ebeth. smile There hasn't been any envelope yet I'm afraid. I too would have expected a big envelope Kriston...thanks for the heads up. smile
I hope I get something by Friday...I'm going on vacation Sat.
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/22/08 02:27 AM
Still no news?
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 11:57 AM
Finally some news to share. smile Good news...DS7 was accepted into the DYS program! smile The letter was sent on the 16th of July and I went on vacation on the 19th-27th and got my mail yesterday. Had to wait the extra week but it was worth it. smile
Yippppeee!
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 12:04 PM
Congratulations, Moni! So happy to hear the good news.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 12:31 PM
Yay! Congrats on the happy news.
Posted By: delbows Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 12:47 PM
Great news for your DS7, Moni! My son started with DYS at 7 also.

What is your son�s school situation for next year? Is the Charter School of Wilmington a target high school for him?
Posted By: kimck Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 01:00 PM
Congrats Moni!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 01:18 PM
Congrats!!!!!!
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 01:39 PM
Congratulations! What a great news. You sure did your share of waiting for it smile
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 01:52 PM
Thank you all for your congratulations. smile
delbows- my DS7 goes to a local public elementary school and will be skipping 2nd grade. He will be in a regular 3rd grade class despite the district having a self contained gifted 3/4th grade program in another school. They were concerned that the 3rd grade gifted class would be too advanced (they said it would be like skipping two grades and they were concerned about all the writing which DS7 isn't too keen on...and of course it would be the first testing year for the writing portion of the state tests, which have since been cancelled due to budget tightening by the DOE). The powers that be in our district did say that DS7 could enter the self contained 3/4th grade the following year, but my main concern is will they be confortable moving him to that school since it will be his last year in the current elementary building? All that said I do like the 3rd grade teacher who will be working with DS7 this coming year. We met her and she seems very keen, approachable, and willing to challenge DS so I'm hoping for the best.
The Charter School of Wilmington isn't near us; however, I think if my son got in I'd make the commute.
Posted By: ebeth Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 02:03 PM
That's great news, Moni. Congratulations to your DS. And I hope the new school year is a wonderful fit. A good teacher can make a world of difference!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 02:40 PM
Hooray! That's wonderful news! I hope your family benefits greatly from the help and resources of DYS.

Perhaps if another acceleration is needed, the school would be ammenable to moving him to the self contained class after the tests. Are the in the fall or the spring?

Neato
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 03:05 PM
Yay! Another 7yo boy! That makes me especially happy!!!

Congratulations!
Posted By: delbows Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 03:06 PM
The 3rd grade teacher sounds flexible and strong which is certainly a great indicator.

It seems as if your choices for next year will be to keep him with the current peer group for one more remaining year (before they disperse to different schools ?) or introducing him to a new (similar ability) peer group which he may continue to be grouped with past 4th grade. I guess it will be a tougher decision if he meshes really well with his third grade class this year. Neato has offered a good possible third choice too!

I have found that having a strong peer group has helped keep my daughter academically motivated, so I have sought out the most advanced peer group and most rigorous learning environment available to each of my kids for this next school year. This plan requires a long and complicated commute each day, so it better be worth it!

If math and science are particular strengths for your son, you may want to look into the residential rules pertaining to acceptance to The Charter School of Wilmington sooner rather than later. The book Genius Denied has at least one chapter concerning that school and it sounds like entrance there would be an absolute windfall (for my DS, anyways)!
Posted By: amamama Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 04:09 PM
That's wonderful news, Moni. Congratulations!
Posted By: HoosierMommy Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 06:55 PM
This is an elementary question, but I'm new to this forum so I'll use that as my excuse: what does DYS stand for? It's not on the Hoagie's acronym page, so I'm confused. smile
Posted By: HoosierMommy Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 07:14 PM
Thanks, Dottie. That clears it up.
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/29/08 07:15 PM
Neato- thanks for that. The writing tests are in the spring (well they would have been if the ed. budget wasn't cut...DOE decided to drop them to save money according to local newspaper I read. Not really sure if I should address this to the principal since I'm sure they can fall back on the idea of it like skipping two grades and more writing in the GT 3/4 self contained class. We'll just have to see how DS7 does in the reg. 3rd grade class...his teacher seems to be on the ball and I'm sure would recommend moving him if he suffers in her class.
Delbows- Yep the school now goes up to 4th grade then they all move to the middle school for 5-6th grades. They separate the kids into color teams and it seems like the gt kids are in two different teams then they have kids who were in just the gt pullout go to different teams, then the average, etc. Guess I'll just have to see how the year goes...I'm just hoping it is better than this year.
All the best to your DD on the new school and to you on your commute. smile Thanks for the advice on checking out rules for the Charter school.
Posted By: crisc Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 07/30/08 01:05 AM
Congrats! What a nice surprise to come home to on vacation!
Posted By: Ruby Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/07/08 03:02 AM
Congratulations, Moni! (Sorry it's a little late, I was on vacation.)
Posted By: moni Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/07/08 11:51 AM
Thanks again everyone. smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 02:50 AM
Well, we got a letter saying to retest after DS is 6. I don't know. It's expensive and this application process is getting lengthy... maybe we should just give up.

I will rethink things after DS turns 6.
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:02 AM
Oh, Cathy, I feel for you! That is how I felt 17 months ago when we got our not accepted (rejection) letter. At that point he had hit ceilings on the IQ tests to the point where it wouldn't have been worth retesting and it would have been a really big deal to track down a place to do any talent search testing. So we waited and I tried to decide whether to try again.

DS took the ACT this February and the SAT this June--they are quite affordable and I was sick of paying for the expensive tests. Both were qualifying scores, so I faxed them in to DITD on the July deadline and tried not to think about it. We just got the good news today--DS is a DYS!

So, Cathy, don't despair. There is plenty of time for your DS to get more scores. This board is what kept me sane while I was trying to decide what to do. And the great thing is, the only requirement for being here is mutual e-affection!
Posted By: kimck Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:04 AM
Sorry to hear that Cathy! You've got time though.
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:08 AM
Wow, what ups and downs. I'm sorry Cathy, but it seems to me that ACS has good advice. And ACS, I'm thrilled for you and your DS. I bet Cathy's DS gets there, too. All the best to all of you!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:19 AM
Thanks guys frown

At least if we test again I will know what to ask for! I'm sure DS would be up for another "brain checkup" crazy but we could be out several hundred bucks and not gain much information-wise. We probably won't retest unless there is some pressing issue and we feel the need of DYS support.

He's already got his gradeskip.
Posted By: Texas Summer Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:24 AM
Cathy, I am waiting with you. My dd5 turns 6 in October. She just took her W-J achievement test. I am waiting for the scores. If her achievement scores are high enough I plan to have her take an IQ test in January.

Congratulations, acs!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:51 AM
Acs, congratulations to your DS! Persistence pays off smile
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear the news Cathy. hugs.

ACS - congrats to you and your son!!!! YEAH!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 01:07 PM
Thinking good thoughts for you and your DS, Cathy. Here's hoping that you practically forget DYS exists because your DS has such a phenomenal school year! smile

And congratulations to acs's DS! Yay!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 01:18 PM
I'm sending you hugs too, Cathy. Sorry about the news, but there is still time if you decide to try again.

And congrats to ACS's DS!
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 02:05 PM
Congratulations ACS! Wonderful news.

Cathy, I'm sorry. It's not a real no, you can always try again and like you said things are working pretty well right now. It would be nice to be in, but his time will come. I can't recall if you did portfolio or not. They may like numbers more than portfolio.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 02:47 PM
Congrats ACS and family.

How wonderful, hope the resources help!

Cathy,

I just want to reiterate the consensus here, don't despair. You know I would be willing to bet that not every parent of PG children pursues DYS.
We all take different paths based on what we feel is best, there is no direct and right path.

Smiles,
Neato
Posted By: crisc Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 03:55 PM
Congrats ACS!

Cathy,
I am glad that you have gotten the grade skips and some accomodations for your DS. I have been reading your posts for quite some time now since our son's are close to the same age. Who knows what next year will bring. There may be reasons to pursue some additional testing and DYS may be in your future after all. Your DS sounds PG and a great canidate to me.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by LMom
I can't recall if you did portfolio or not. They may like numbers more than portfolio.

We sent in some numbers that were one point shy of their requirements. They sent me a letter asking for samples of his work. So I sent those in along with an update about his gradeskip.
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/14/08 04:45 PM
Based on our experience, I think they really want at least one set of numbers that is over their cut-off. Our first round, all the numbers were so close, but not quite, and he wasn't accepted. Once we sent in above qualifying ACT score (almost 2 years after his last round of testing was done), that's when we got good news.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 12:54 AM
Acs, congrats on your ds's acceptance; I am curious how old your son is - or, what is the minimum age for taking these kinds of tests? Dont want/need to spend a lot of money right now on a full assessment, but an early act or sat sounds like a good option, for future reference. (We have had some testing through my ds' school).

Cathy - hang in there - sounds like you are moving in the right direction for your son whether currently dys or not smile
Posted By: delbows Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 01:07 AM
Acs-Congratulations to you and your family!

Cathy, as others have stated, your son has his gradeskip, so he may not need to be identified as a DYS yet. Best wishes for a great school year!
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 01:09 AM
DS was just 12 and in 6th grade when he took the ACT. Our talent search lets kids take the ACT in 6th, but not everyone does. Dottie is right, though, a kid can take them at any age; you just need the forms and the photo ID.

If you are interested in how your child would do, you can get a copy of "The REAL ACT" which has 3 ACT tests from previous years. We had DS take one of those before we signed him up. If he hadn't done well on the practice, we never would have signed him up since we wanted this to be fun and not frustrating. And if you are just doing it for your own purposes, then there is no need to sign them up for the real test at all!
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 01:24 AM
True, Dottie. We paid for the test because I didn't think the DITD would accept the practice test results!

But not everyone craves validation like we do!
Posted By: Lorel Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 12:34 PM
If you need a standardized test score, the SAT and ACT are great bargains. They cost MUCH less than IQ or achievement tests, and more people in schools are familiar with them, so they are less likely to get pooh poohed.

I would just suggest that you wait until your child has completed algebra and knows some geometry, or the math will be tough.
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 06:25 PM
Cathy, fyi, I tired to PM you, but you are over your private topic limit. You clearly are popular!

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/15/08 06:46 PM
What's a private topic limit? I'm not over my message quota...

Just in case, I deleted my old messages though.
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:07 AM
Well, I've hemmed and hawed all day, as I feel weird posting this, but we did get good news today - DS was accepted to DYS. I still can't believe it. I am so shocked, relieved, thrilled and grateful. I guess that sums it up. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:12 AM
YAHOO!!! I'm so happy for your family! laugh
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:15 AM
YEAH!!! Congrats!
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:26 AM
Great news!

Does this mean your question is finally answered? Your very first question was about DYS eligibility wasn't it? And now you know! LOL!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:28 AM
Should we call her "answers" now?

grin
Posted By: kimck Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:37 AM
Great news questions!
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:47 AM
ROFL.

Congratulations, questions! Ehm, meant to say congratulations, answers wink Wonderful news.
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:50 AM
Thanks, everyone.

You know, acs, I did contemplate posting on that original thread. It would be a coda, right? I don't remember much from Music 15 in college, but that sounds about right. I did ask originally about DYS, but I learned so much more in the process in the last six months, and am so grateful to all of you .

Thanks to you my son started really reading this year (Geronimo Stilton did the trick, along with little EPGY blips on the computer), thanks to you I afterschooled so that he didn't just sit there all year without learning anything new (and I think that EPGY helped him demonstrate his abilities), thanks to you , I learned that if the educational environment is damaging and a poor fit, it's possible to just take him out (aaaaahhhhhhhhhh), thanks to you I learned about all the books I should read and read them, and thanks to you , I'm sure I've found some fun ways to restore my DS's enjoyment of math. So thank all of you ! I don't have the answers, but I sure got a lot of answers from you !

Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 01:51 AM
Boy, I was pretty clueless, wasn't I? blush
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:04 AM
Nah. No more so than the rest of us were at the start of our respective GT journeys. laugh
Posted By: incogneato Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:10 AM
Ahhhhh Questions, I'm...just.............verclempt!

Where are my manners?!?! I haven't actually been in the Living Room all day, I've been out since this morning and just got in to see the great news!

HOORAY!!!!!!!!
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:15 AM
See, I'm still learning. I just learned a new word. Thanks!
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:21 AM
Congratulations questions.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:24 AM
Congratulations questions!!!!!! Wonderful news!!! smile

Neato- you made me think of Saturday night live!!! Wasn't it one of Mike Myers characters that was always getting "verclempt"????
Posted By: bk1 Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:44 AM
Questions, that is great news. I am so happy for you and your family!

bk
Posted By: incogneato Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:49 AM
Neato- you made me think of Saturday night live!!! Wasn't it one of Mike Myers characters that was always getting "verclempt"????

Nice catch!!!! grin
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 02:57 AM
Questions, congratulations! You're right, this forum is a great source of answers and fellowship. smile
Posted By: Texas Summer Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 04:01 AM
Congratulations, questions!!
Posted By: Lorel Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 12:58 PM
I'm very happy for you!
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/16/08 03:42 PM
Thank you, thank you,thank you. smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/17/08 05:07 PM
Back from vacation and happy to see the last few pages of this thread! Congrats, questions!
Posted By: CSmith Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 07:10 PM
Thought I would jump in here to say that my DS made it into DYS! It was a nervous wait. We applied earlier just with a portfolio and got a "need more info". We finally were able to get some testing done and got the scores and the good news we hoped for!

C~
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 07:17 PM
yay - more good news. Congratulations C and your DS!
And congrats to questions and acs and your kids too!
Posted By: kimck Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 07:18 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: LMom Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 07:26 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 07:58 PM
CongratS!
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 08:38 PM
Congratulations C!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 10:48 PM
Yay!!! Congratulations!
Posted By: CSmith Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/19/08 10:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm learning so much from reading through these threads. A great source of information (and comfort)!

C~
Posted By: Ruby Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 12:57 AM
I posted awhile ago that we were waiting for a response from Davidson's (applied June 20-something so it was a long wait) and we got it this week. Dd6 has been accepted!
Posted By: crisc Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:10 AM
Congrats to your DD! At least the long wait was worth it!
Posted By: Ruby Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:12 AM
Thanks, gratified3! Actually, it was my daughter though. wink
Posted By: questions Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:14 AM
Congratulations, Ruby! Glad you heard good news.
Posted By: Ruby Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:15 AM
Thanks, crisc. Yeah, it was a long, anxious wait. We've been traveling a lot this summer, so it helped pass the time.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:17 AM
Yay, Ruby!
Posted By: acs Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:33 AM
I think moms get congrats too. We carried them in us for months (though in my case I swear it was years), gave birth to them, answered all those questions, and finally filled out the daunting DYS paperwork and endured the wait. I'll be taking as much credit as I can.

Go Moms!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Waiting for DYS letter - 08/20/08 01:39 AM
So true! Yay, rah, MOMS!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum