Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Randi529 Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 03:57 AM
Does anyone know why the Davidson Academy doesn't list GAI (only FSIQ) scores as qualifying criteria? My DD's GAI (150) is what qualified her for DYS but she only has 139 FSIQ. I had been under the impression that GAI was as legitimate as FS...would this mean she wouldn't fit in as well in a high capacity environment? Probably will email DA but thought I'd throw it out here first smile
Posted By: Mam Re: Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 04:30 AM
I imagine that is a very careful consideration and that they consider that to succeed in that environment, low enough working memory/processing speed could be a challenge.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 11:35 AM
Talk to them. I'm very unfamiliar with all the ins and out of who they accept. I know that they have to meet the kids and evaluate them while learning. Call you FC and the academy.
Good luck
I have seen their school students and teachers and it seems wonderful.
Grinity
Posted By: Iucounu Re: Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 11:40 AM
I get the impression that good Davidson Academy candidates would be a fairly small subset of DYS admittees. The mention of FSIQ without GAI is probably just an oversight or designed to keep it simple. I'm guessing that they could take someone with a high enough GAI, but would be interested in proof of ability to achieve at a high enough level and pace to keep up with the instruction. I agree with Mam that in that context low processing speed and working memory might be important considerations.
Posted By: Jtooit Re: Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 11:46 AM
They list verbal and perceptual indexes as well as full scale.

Posted By: Randi529 Re: Davidson Academy Criteria - 07/06/12 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. Just need to talk to them...I think we are a couple years away but DH and i just started a discussion about broader school options yesterday (like boarding schools or something like DA) so
I'm just doing a little preliminary research smile. Do you think the lower processing speed/working memory would be a problem at more rigorous schools that weren't 'DA' level per se?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum