Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I'm still really new to all of this, but I am wondering if the psych used extended norms or if it is something that could be considered in the calculation of your dd's scores. She has three 19s and an 18. Also, her processing speed is considerably lower than the other indexes.
As far as I know, the extended norm tests weren't used. Yep, processing speed is much lower...we think that is connected with the anxiety to think things through several times and then double check what's been asked!
Definitely ask about the processing speed. Lots of interesting behaviors can slow this down and the tester may have some insight.

I don't think the achievement score are so unusally given her diagnoses.

I have heard that 'all kids with ASD have ADHD' but I'm not sure if. It is true or what that means.

If you live in the US do apply to the DYS program.

Does your DD seem happy at school?
Smiles
Grinity
I don't have the report handy, but my NT child had virtually identical scores for the GAI, FSIQ and the indices. The tester said it was a totally normal pattern in very bright very young kids, and it's why they have the GAI. Any formal program should take the GAI as the IQ score. The lower PSI she said was accounted for with slow writing because they're young, so it wasn't even an area of weakness. She also said that hestitating due to perfectionism was there, but is also common.

Age equivalents - the 18 and 19 scaled scores are 16.

Under achieving, you can't really tell from that. She has a high ability, is she being asked to use it?

And yes, you should get them to calculate using the extended norms

Originally Posted by Tallulah
Under achieving, you can't really tell from that. She has a high ability, is she being asked to use it?

And yes, you should get them to calculate using the extended norms

Thank you all for your replies. She enjoys coasting along at school, she's not challenged, but she's happy with that. She seems to enjoy school and likes going but as for using her ability...it's not in her nature to push herself unless it something that interests her!

I don't think we have a reason for extended norms, the school will barely understand the report so adding in new data is going to confuse them even more. I have all the raw score data, is there somewhere on line that I could plug it all into?
Thanks Dottie...yep they changed, a lot! The PRI was the biggest change which in turn has made both the FSIQ and GAI much higher.
Now wondering whether to email the psych and ask about using the extended norms.
Thanks for all your help.
Has anyone used the extended norm scores for the WISC?
Do they really have any weighting? Do the extended norm scores count or are they just there to shock you! lol
Does she really need those numbers or shall we just keep the percentile which is the same? The GAI improved by 12 points and the FSIQ by 8.
Is it worth asking her Psych to do the scores officially and put them in the report?
Again, I'm really new to testing and looking at results so please excuse my ignorance with my question. Can you take the extended norms into consideration when looking at the discrepancy in scores between the PRI and PSI when diagnosing LDs and 2e? The extended norms would make the discrepancy even greater and more statistically significant.
@mountainmom- I'm very new to all this too! I think the point though that you made is very valid. Thank you.
Originally Posted by TigerM
Has anyone used the extended norm scores for the WISC?
Do they really have any weighting? Do the extended norm scores count or are they just there to shock you! lol
Does she really need those numbers or shall we just keep the percentile which is the same? The GAI improved by 12 points and the FSIQ by 8.
Is it worth asking her Psych to do the scores officially and put them in the report?

This is a great question. About 10 years ago, everyone was used to the super High IQ test scores, and thought 140 on a WISC was 'no big deal' - and that was frustrating.

Lately, most folks have gotten the idea that scores in the low 140s on WISC IV are a very big deal.

I have no idea how folks will react to the new extended norm scores - but if it has 'shock value' maybe it will help someone understand the frustration of LDs and Bottlenecks. We'll have to wait and see. Apparently WISC V is coming soon.

I call this the 'new coke/old coke' problem. I always check the publishing dates on books about High IQ kids to see if the scoring is likely to refer to the old 'wow it's 190' plan or the newer 'wow it's 145' plan. I don't know of anything published that even refers to the extended scores.

Time will tell.

Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum