Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: lilswee Anecdotes - 10/21/11 04:49 PM
Note sure if there is a thread for this but I love the Hoagies section where there are little blurbs showing the differences between kids. One of my favorites had a kid that had mis-spelled "Genius" and the parent said well you better learn how to spell it. Thought it might be fun to share stories.

Here's a recent one:
DD10 runs up to me while I'm reading "how do you spell 'said'?" I looked at her with my Really? You can't be serious look. She then says "Never mind. DD6, how do I spell 'said'?" DD6 reply, "s-a-i-d".....Gotta love it.
Posted By: Val Re: Anecdotes - 10/21/11 05:11 PM
I know kids who are pretty sensitive about having trouble with spelling and feel kind of inadequate because their younger sibs spell better than they do.
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Anecdotes - 10/21/11 05:38 PM

DS10 is singing "Octopus' Garden" the other night and so I start singing "Yellow Submarine".

DS: "What does that mean we all live in a yellow submarine."

Me: (thinking...really?) Um, all the people in the song live in a yellow submarine."

DS: "Thank you Captain Obvious. I thought most Beatles songs were metaphors."

Now didn't I feel silly... :-)

Breakaway
Posted By: kathleen'smum Re: Anecdotes - 10/21/11 07:29 PM
DD9: Couldn't they have diagnosed me with with something I could spell? Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder and Dyslexia just don't roll off my tongue, you know?? Jeez!"
Posted By: Percy Re: Anecdotes - 10/23/11 03:00 AM
DS7 wrote a story at school about a skeleton. The skeletons and the ghosts were at war and the skeletons won. The last line of the story: "One of the skeletons was very brave and won a metal of honor. He was happy for the rest of his death."
Posted By: 2giftgirls Re: Anecdotes - 10/23/11 06:05 AM
we went to Legoland tonight with another friend, a boy, who is gifted too. When we were leaving, instead of "good bye", he says he enjoyed bonding with DD, lol!!!
Posted By: Trillium Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 01:01 AM
When I went to 1st grade parents' night, I saw that DS's "all about me" poster said:

"In 1st grade I want to learn about nanotechnology."

He even spelled it correctly. smile
Posted By: ABQMom Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 02:41 AM
My youngest was explaining to his father last night why his math worksheet was empty. "The teacher says she's saving trees by making us copy the problems onto notebook paper and doing our work on our own paper. But she's not saving trees, because this process uses twice as much paper - the worksheet and the paper for the answers. So, really, all she's saving is her own paper."

You've got to love the insight that comes with a gifted kid who just doesn't buy whatever he's sold...
Posted By: herenow Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 01:45 PM
Apparently DD's grade skip was being discussed at her lunch table the other day at her new school. One of the children said "I'd rather be in my grade in the high-level classes, than in the next grade up in the lower-level classes". My DD told me that she didn't say anything at that point, although it did occur to her to point out that she was in the highest level classes available to her grade (and after-schooling even more). I told her that was probably exactly the right thing to do as it seems to be a fine line between being confident and boasting (especially to the audience). I said it's tricky because "you don't want to hide your light under a bushel".
She said, without missing a beat, "yeah, but you don't want to shine it in their eyes, either".
Posted By: 2giftgirls Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 01:50 PM
herenow-where is the "like" button for that???? love it!
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by herenow
She said, without missing a beat, "yeah, but you don't want to shine it in their eyes, either".

I always used the light shining approach when I was younger. Superior intelligence as sledgehammer.

I don't recommend that approach to winning friends and influencing people.
Posted By: Michaela Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 02:46 PM
This is even better than the brags thread.

DS "I decided to wear a costume for Halloween, and I've decided to not wear a costume for Halloween"

Me (hopefully, as he's been refusing to halloween this year): "um, ok, does that mean you want to wear a costume for the evening but not the day??"

DS: "then you can go trick-or-treating?"

Me: "yea!!"

DS: "ok, if you want"

<sigh>
-Mich
Posted By: SDMom Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
we went to Legoland tonight with another friend, a boy, who is gifted too. When we were leaving, instead of "good bye", he says he enjoyed bonding with DD, lol!!!

They do much better outside of a school setting, they were both just so happy and carefree and engaged with eachother and the environment around them.
Posted By: kathleen'smum Re: Anecdotes - 10/27/11 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by herenow

LOVE IT!!!
Posted By: La Texican Re: Anecdotes - 11/15/11 10:21 PM
"Fish have blood and people have blood. That means every animal has blood. I figured that out by myself, that means I made it up."
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Anecdotes - 11/16/11 04:09 AM
Originally Posted by La Texican
"Fish have blood and people have blood. That means every animal has blood. I figured that out by myself, that means I made it up."

That made me lol, La Texican.
Posted By: DAD22 Re: Anecdotes - 11/16/11 03:00 PM
While shopping for clothes with my daughter when she was around 19 months old, we had the following conversation:

DD: Mommy's a kid. Daddy's a kid.

Me: Mommy's an adult...

DD: <interrupting> Mommy's an ANGEL! <pause> Daddy's weird.

The guy shopping one rack over busted out laughing.
Posted By: syoblrig Re: Anecdotes - 11/18/11 05:32 PM
My dd (5) is on a swim team and apparently day dreams while she's swimming laps. She got out of the pool yesterday and told me that when she was an adult she was going to invent a dolphin fin that people could attach to their legs to show them how dolphins swim. "I'm going to try it out on my own kids, 'cause they would really like it. And I'm going to teach my husband about technology so he could invent something, too." !!! (My smart little fish.)

Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: Anecdotes - 11/18/11 05:49 PM
when ds almost 6 was 22 months, he said to my mom "I farted from my mouth".
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Anecdotes - 11/18/11 06:05 PM
My dd10 has issues with word retrieval. Today she was trying to ask a question and it came out all wrong, so I rephrased it to see if I understood and she said, "That's what I would have said if I made sense!"
Posted By: ellemenope Re: Anecdotes - 11/18/11 06:41 PM
For the last 3 months our three-year-old has been voicing concerns about things she thinks about before she falls asleep at night. We didn't really take her seriously until she finally said,

"I need you to know something. Always when I go to sleep I see pictures that are so real in my eyes, and it is like I am living in these scary pictures about witches, ghost-es, monsters,..."

She was so concerned. We told her to try to think about pictures of Disneyland in her eyes.
Posted By: Speechie Re: Anecdotes - 11/18/11 08:25 PM
DS aged 3 was listing his 'jobs'
"I am a lumberjack, a pediatrician, an EMT, a surgeon, a firefighter, a farmer, and an electrician"
I said, "you sound very busy!"
My little guy put his hand on my knee and said earnestly, "But it's okay Mama, I'm very skilled!"

LOL
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Anecdotes - 11/23/11 08:15 PM
all of these made me laugh out loud and grin with excitement.

How AWESOME that we have this place to share in!!
Posted By: Dude Re: Anecdotes - 11/23/11 08:18 PM
When DD was 3 she wanted to grow up to be three things: a ballerina, a butterfly, and a mermaid.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Anecdotes - 01/21/12 10:52 PM
I guess the boy hasn't heard much about magnets yet. He's got a little business card magnet that came in the mail. I told him, just try to stick it to stuff and whatever it sticks to is magnetic. If it doesn't stick it's not magnetic. It's been a week or so. This morning he said, "if we use tape instead of magnets then everything will be magnetic."
Posted By: bobbie Re: Anecdotes - 01/22/12 09:13 AM
DS(4) when out with DH and offered an iceblock...
"thank you so much. Mummy would probably say no because it's full of sugar but the sugar level in my pancreas is nearly on empty so that is great timing"

Also with DH
DH "what possessed you to throw the book?"
DS "I possessed myself to do it"
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum