Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Austin Arnold Gesell & Child Development Milestones - 10/17/11 05:00 PM
Someone mentioned to me in passing about a man named Arnold Gesell and his studies of child development which found how kids develop back prior to WWII. She added that his institute had just recently rechecked the milestones and had found that they were the same.

Now, given the flynn effect and the fact that this was 80 years ago, and based on GT studies, I am just skeptical as can be.

So, I looked up Gesell and his studies. I ordered some of his books, but to get the jump, I did some googling.

Turns out that the "milestones" everyone quotes are from this author and his colleagues.

http://childparenting.about.com/od/childdevelopment/a/geselletal.htm

Jumping to the academic part.

http://childparenting.about.com/od/childdevelopment/a/fiveyearoldscho_2.htm

Here is what a kid should know after K.

Know his address and phone number
Sorting, classifying, and counting with manipulative sets
Recognize, say, and write numbers to 20
Count by fives and tens
Understand more than, less than, and equal to
Addition, subtraction, and basic math problem solving with manipulative sets
Identify and count coins
Recognize where the big hand and little hand are on an analog clock and tell time to the hour
Say the days of the week and the months of the year

Sounds awfully familiar? So, it appears his studies are the source of most of this stuff.

Based on the discussion I had with the person noted above, who was quite adamant about "normal child development" and not "deviating" from it, and who is a position of decision making for many kids, I'll bet that "Gesell Schedules" are deeply flawed both in their conclusions and methodology.

LOL... my kid only has one permanent tooth so far, so we'd better send her back to K.
Originally Posted by kcab
LOL.
I will say, I wish our society hadn't dropped the ability to travel short distances alone from our collective list of skills worth having.

LOL. Mr W can pretty much navigate around the grocery store to get stuff he wants by himself.

If Gesell can be discredited, then it would be a big help towards removing much of the institutional bias towards bright kids.

From where I stand, this man has done a lot of damage to our best and brightest.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum