Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Wren etiquette on gifts - 09/25/11 08:53 PM
OK, this is nothing about gifted.

DD had her birthday party yesterday and received a bag of "games". Rackets, and other ball type things. One is velco flat things where you catch a ball. She likes it and wants to use it and the balls for the velcro parts are missing. Do I write the mom and ask if I can exchange for another bag at the store?

Ren
Posted By: herenow Re: etiquette on gifts - 09/25/11 09:36 PM
Hi Ren-- If you know which store it is from, I'd start there but in any case my answer is yes--definitely as long as you let the giver know how excited your child is to use it. I think my children had a game like that....any chance it is played with regular tennis balls (my memory is a little fuzzy).
Posted By: kathleen'smum Re: etiquette on gifts - 09/25/11 09:39 PM
I would not be offended if a mother asked to exchange a child's gift... for any reason. I always try to tape gift receipts inside the birthday card. It is pretty much a stab in the dark at best when picking out a gift. If something is missing from the present, I would want to have it fixed so the child could enjoy the present.

(Have you tried using a tennis ball? My kids have this type of toy and it works with tennis balls, which we buy at the dollar store)
Posted By: JonLaw Re: etiquette on gifts - 09/25/11 09:48 PM
Just ask which store the mom got it at and then tell the store they provided a defective toy and require them to exchange it.
Posted By: Wren Re: etiquette on gifts - 09/26/11 08:14 AM
Thanks. So the answer is yes, to approach the mom. I have no idea what store. And did not know you could use tennis balls. The little ones at the dollar store make sense.

Ren
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum