Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Jtjt Science resources - 09/22/11 12:30 AM
I feel like I am not doing enough. I am not sure what other resources I can give to DS6. He is a PG Science kid. He has a lab set that he uses, we do experiments, and he has loads of science books/reference guides, but I feel like I need to give him more. Any suggestions?
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 12:32 AM
A nice big science encyclopedia so he can work on his reading skills while also loving the science?

Really, it sounds like you're doing enough to me.

DeeDee
Posted By: aculady Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 12:32 AM
What kind of science is he interested in?
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 12:54 AM
He is still mildly interested in Anatomy, but primarily in Chemistry. I was thinking of signing up for an online chemistry class for me to take, so he can do the work along side me? Does that sound like a dumb idea?

He literally read the set of enclopedias we got him already. He will still use them in reference though.
Posted By: aculady Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 01:05 AM
He might really enjoy Merlin's Academy / Principles of Alchemy.
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 03:24 AM
Thank you! He will love that! I also just came across a magazine called Muse. Has anyone heard of that?
Posted By: ebeth Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 02:47 PM
Hi Jtjt.

I have a science kid as well, so I'm racking my brain as to what he was into a few years ago. He is 11 now. We tried to feed his love of science by giving him a subject acceleration in school, as well as a full grade acceleration. Last year he was in 6th grade plus 9th grade for Science.

Several years ago, someone posted this link here, so I will pass it along again. It is called the Periodic Table of Videos. My son loved it, since he could click on each element in the Periodic Table and see a short video describing the scientific properties. You can also find videos on things such as Feynman Diagrams under the Physics topic.

This is not as rigorous as a class, but it is amusing. Hope you enjoy.
Periodic Table of Videos
Posted By: Bostonian Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jtjt
He is still mildly interested in Anatomy, but primarily in Chemistry.

A free and informative chemistry program for Windows is Periodic Table Explorer http://www.freshney.org/education/pte/ .

Posted By: Cecilia Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 03:24 PM
The videos look great! Thanks, ebeth smile I can vouch for the Odyssey magazine. It is fabulous!
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 10:24 PM
My son is absolutely going to freak over these videos!

Originally Posted by ebeth
Hi Jtjt.

I have a science kid as well, so I'm racking my brain as to what he was into a few years ago. He is 11 now. We tried to feed his love of science by giving him a subject acceleration in school, as well as a full grade acceleration. Last year he was in 6th grade plus 9th grade for Science.

Several years ago, someone posted this link here, so I will pass it along again. It is called the Periodic Table of Videos. My son loved it, since he could click on each element in the Periodic Table and see a short video describing the scientific properties. You can also find videos on things such as Feynman Diagrams under the Physics topic.

This is not as rigorous as a class, but it is amusing. Hope you enjoy.
Periodic Table of Videos
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Science resources - 09/22/11 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by cricket3
Muse is great, though I don't know if I would classify it as a science resource. It is published through Cricket magazines- if you like Muse, you might want to check their website and look at Odyssey (more geared towards science/tech stuff), and some of their other offerings. Our library gets several of these (and we do too smile )

Our kids also liked the Kids Discover magazine (more sciency, I think, but not as well-designed.)

Odyssey was actually the first one I was looking at. However, this months edition was all about addiction, both to drugs and alcohol, and it just had a much older feel to it.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Science resources - 09/23/11 12:12 AM
I have a couple others:

Conceptual Chemistry (free video lessons): http://www.conceptualchemistry.com/...&layout=item&id=14&Itemid=57

Chem 4 kids: http://www.chem4kids.com/

...and just for fun, Physics Games: http://www.physicsgames.net/
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum