Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: daytripper75 My peeps! - 09/09/11 06:07 PM
DD was accepted into the local GATE school and started earlier this week. I cannot even begin to say how wonderful this has been. She is in a classroom with 23 other students who are all bright, she is no longer "the smart one," she's just one of the kids.
Plus, every morning and every afternoon I get to stand at the bus stop with at least 5 other parents who totally "get it."

It has been FABULOUS! A win for everyone involved!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 06:30 PM
congrats!
Posted By: Ametrine Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 06:35 PM
smile For you and her!
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 06:41 PM
Awesome!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 06:46 PM
WONDERFUL!!!!!
Posted By: Pru Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 08:17 PM
Congrats, it's a good feeling. Even though DD8's new class is only 1/3 GATE students, two days into it she announced, "I think this is going to be a good year."
Posted By: triplejmom Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 09:42 PM
Fabulous!! I hope one day soon I will be able to say something like that. I hope she continues to have a fabulous year!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: My peeps! - 09/09/11 09:58 PM
Awesome! It's funny, I was thinking that this is one of the few places where a parent would be happy that their kid is no longer "the smart one". smile I felt the same thing when my DS got to the GT school.

Originally Posted by daytripper75
I cannot even begin to say how wonderful this has been. She is in a classroom with 23 other students who are all bright, she is no longer "the smart one," she's just one of the kids.
Posted By: Bug-House Re: My peeps! - 09/10/11 08:45 PM
Yay! That's fantastic news!
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: My peeps! - 09/11/11 12:40 AM
We had open house yesterday and the children all had a picture with a story they had each written on their desks. DD's story and picture was right on par with everyone else's. (It did crack me up though, the theme was "What I did on my summer vacation" and her picture included Amish men with hand tools.)

I hope that this school continues to be this wonderful. So far there has been no weird competition between the parents. (Although I do get asked whether dd is in 1st or 2nd and there seems to be some special cache to being accepted in 1st grade.)

The school goes on 10 field trips a year and we just got the first permission slip sent home. They are going to a botanical garden to further study plant life.

DD is just as happy as a clam, it was wonderful to see her walking through her school with so much confidence.

Yay!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum