Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Austin leappad tablet - 07/28/11 04:38 PM
Anyone have one of these?

Mr W saw one at his school and is frothing at the mouth for one.

http://www.leapfrog.com/leappad/index.html

Posted By: CourtneyB Re: leappad tablet - 07/29/11 06:19 AM
We don't have one but the last time my kids tested games at LeapFrog there were parents returning the 'test' units. They all said the kids enjoyed them a lot so if my kids weren't already 7 and almost 6 I'd consider getting one smile
Posted By: Madoosa Re: leappad tablet - 08/05/11 09:40 PM
they are launching here in SA in October. I have my own little business and the leapfrog range is one of my largest sellers. I launched today and already took 8 pre-release orders. This thing is going to be HUGE! We will be getting for our boys for Christmas too... even though they just got Explorers last year.

They are so cool that *I* want one!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: leappad tablet - 08/05/11 09:57 PM
I "tried"to pre order 2 units.. but they stopped taking orders. Filled them in 2 weeks we were on vacation frown
Posted By: islandofapples Re: leappad tablet - 08/05/11 11:34 PM
When do these leap frog things become useful for kids? I am resisting these technology based learning toys, but I am in complete love with my Kindle and this leap pad thing looks pretty lovable, too. ;D
Posted By: triplejmom Re: leappad tablet - 08/06/11 12:27 AM
Oh these look sooooo cute! We gave away my kids leapsters about a year ago because they thought they were boring, but these look much better. DS8 played with his leapster till he was about 3, and the twins DS4/4 played them about the same amount...then were more interested in big brothers Nintendo DS but I think they'd really like these...and it would get them off my ipad!
I hope there are some available before Christmas to grab for them for presents...thanks for the heads up on the cool new product. I don't live near a toy store ( and the pathetic walmart here carries next to nothing...) so I rarely get to see whats new these days.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: leappad tablet - 08/06/11 01:50 AM
ds5 still loves his leapster. We have no gaming systems in the house. They do have access to online games thru pbskids. ixl, starfall and a few others
Posted By: Austin Re: leappad tablet - 08/06/11 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by Madoosa
they are launching here in SA in October. I have my own little business and the leapfrog range is one of my largest sellers. I launched today and already took 8 pre-release orders. This thing is going to be HUGE! We will be getting for our boys for Christmas too... even though they just got Explorers last year.

Good luck with your business!!!

Posted By: Madoosa Re: leappad tablet - 08/06/11 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by islandofapples
When do these leap frog things become useful for kids? I am resisting these technology based learning toys, but I am in complete love with my Kindle and this leap pad thing looks pretty lovable, too. ;D

Nathan has been using the Explorer for about 6 months now - he is 2 years 9 months. He LOVES it! Even though it's marketed for 4 - 9 years, he plays every day if I let him. Aiden loves it too but is reaching the threshold on some of the lower age games. The games self correct, so as the child masters something the games get harder. Makes it nice to play the same games over and over as it stores the child's info.

This new one has an increased reading functionality as well as a built in camera and microphone. It comes with applications for basic photo editing etc too so it really is a lovely and fun learning tool.
Posted By: Madoosa Re: leappad tablet - 08/06/11 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Austin
Originally Posted by Madoosa

Good luck with your business!!!

ah thanks smile It started out of finding stuff for Aiden to do when he was still at home every day and now I choose products carefully to enable me to get stuff at cost price for him too wink works well for me! lol
Posted By: Austin Re: leappad tablet - 08/30/11 03:24 PM
The leappad arrived two weeks ago and Mr W earned enough stickers to get it this weekend.

He spent all day Sunday playing with it and has most of it figured out.

I played with it for an hour last night and have to admit its pretty cool.

Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: leappad tablet - 08/30/11 03:31 PM
Santa is bringing ours!
Posted By: kathleen'smum Re: leappad tablet - 08/30/11 03:43 PM
Santa will be bringing one here, as well!
Posted By: Ametrine Re: leappad tablet - 08/30/11 04:25 PM
My son wants the new iPhone. And a Dell laptop like his daddy's.

He would love one of these, but I don't think Santa will be bringing it to him this year. Maybe next.

I want to wait until the reviews are all in.
Posted By: MagnaSky Re: leappad tablet - 08/30/11 05:42 PM
I was considering this for my ds6, but when we looked at one, he said it is for babies. I think the images, voices and slower loading speed where the main issues. There is no WiFi and apps load slower due to the lower processing speed, additional apps are not cheap. IMHO I think it would be great for advanced two or four year old, but children who are used to iPhone apps, iPad or regular laptops most likely will feel like my ds.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum