Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: sblora wouldn't classify as "ultimate brag" - 07/25/11 05:10 PM
but it is interesting. So, my 6yo who just started 1st grade (and is under evaluation for a grade skip, tests back it up), came home after starting year round school last week and said some of the kids in his class think black and white are colors. I said most people would consider them colors (as do I unless really questioned about it!). He says, "But Mom, they are shades, they create different colors from the real colors." Now, I've never heard it spoken of that way so I wondered where he got it from. I asked my hobby artist DH who said it wasn't from him. So, I've got a son who knows black and white aren't colors--the real term is "pigments", I Googled it.

Thought it was a pretty cool assessment that he'd figured out on his own.

Shannon L.
Posted By: Beckee Re: wouldn't classify as "ultimate brag" - 07/25/11 05:36 PM
Well, I guess that's why they aren't on the color wheel. Some folks think of black as the absence of color, and white being a combination of all colors. We certainly make many assumptions about color that could be questioned. One question that would keep me up nights if I let it: Why does red blend into violet when they are at opposite ends of the scale of visible light (next to infrared and ultraviolet)?
Posted By: laura0896 Re: wouldn't classify as "ultimate brag" - 07/25/11 05:38 PM
sounds like a great brag! It's amazing how these little ones think. thanks for sharing.
I think that was definitely brag worthy!!

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum