Posted By: frannieandejsmom new NWEA MAP norms - 07/16/11 11:38 AM
2011 Normative Data Reference
Status Norms of RIT Scores

2011 Normative Data Reference.pdf

well that didn't work smirk

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/normative-data-2011
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 07/16/11 11:47 AM
Comparative Data to Inform Instructional Decisions

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/981/comparative-data-inform-instructional-decisions

This is all they have posted thus far.. more to come in September
Posted By: inky Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 07/18/11 09:40 AM
Thanks for posting this and I'm going to look at it more closely when I'm back from summer travels!
Posted By: CAMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/12/11 03:49 PM
Inky- Have you seen any public links to the 2011 norms yet? I can't seem to find them but it looks like they should have been available in September.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/12/11 04:46 PM
not inky...

I last checked this morning for the full report.They state it will be out by the end of September. They have released a few reports that I mentioned above.

Sheila
Posted By: CAMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/12/11 05:12 PM
Sorry Sheila, didn't mean to leave you out! Inky helped me with some NWEA stuff last year.

Thanks for the info! I just got DS's new scores from the beginning of the year and was wondering how things had changed from the 2008 norms. I'll be patient :-)
Posted By: inky Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/13/11 08:55 PM
Thanks for the update and I'll be interested to hear too!
Posted By: BmJ Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/21/11 09:11 PM
Hi, need some advice on nwea math for 3rd graders. My son is going to Minnesota schools. He had nwea math test today. When I asked him how it went,he said there were 52 questions. Just wanted to know if it is right? Also they say if the child finds the question difficult,easy questions appear for them .even then the numb of questions are 52 only? Or will it be increased. Can someone advice me?
Posted By: Percy Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/21/11 09:41 PM
The numbers of questions depends on the student. This might be a good place to start with understanding the NWEA MAP.

http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/ParentToolkit.pdf

Posted By: BmJ Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/24/11 05:42 AM
my son is in 3rd grade. he had his first NWEA math test today. His score was 203. Is this a good score. Is it the right score for a 3rd grader?
Posted By: Iucounu Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/24/11 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by BmJ
my son is in 3rd grade. he had his first NWEA math test today. His score was 203. Is this a good score. Is it the right score for a 3rd grader?
You said two posts ago that he had his first NWEA math test on 9/20. Did he have it then or today?

Based on the 2008 norms, a math score of 203 would be at the 82nd-84th percentile for a beginning third grader, meaning that at least 82% of third graders didn't do as well. So yes, it's a solid score; he's in the top fifth of his grade.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 09/29/11 12:51 PM
They have pushed back the RIT scale norms release to October...

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/751/where-find-and-download-nwea-2008-rit-scale-norms-study

The 2011 NWEA RIT Scale Norms Study document will be available on the NWEA Reports Site in October 2011. At that time, you may login and download the study.
Posted By: inky Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/01/11 02:02 AM
Thanks for the update!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/08/11 12:47 AM
The 2011 rit scales are in.. I just don't know how to pull them...

The 2011 NWEA RIT Scale Norms Study is available on the NWEA Reports Site now. You may login and download the study. These updated norms replace the 2008 norming data.
Posted By: Percy Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/08/11 12:54 AM
I think at this point, you have to be one of their partners to access the study. In other words, you have to have a log in.
Posted By: CAMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/08/11 03:33 AM
I am waiting for them to pop up either here or on the Pickens website

http://moodle.bismarckschools.org/mod/book/view.php?id=15583&chapterid=1068

Posted By: inky Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/08/11 07:26 PM
I found an intersteing power point about it via Google here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=31&ved=0CDEQFjAAOB4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmapregionmtg.wikispaces.com%2Ffile%2Fview%2FNWEA%2B2011%2B-%2BRIT%2BScale%2BNorms.pptx&ei=nqGQTpfMK8uitgfV-fWNDA&usg=AFQjCNFE_VjHlfOlFaZgdomi5GSx5nJuZw

Partial Info Here:
http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/taylors/MAP%20Information/2011%20RIT%20Norms.pdf

I can't find the full report yet so I hope CAMom's link comes through for us soon!
Posted By: djf Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/09/11 05:15 PM
Here we go... Looks like NWEA released the study publicly this time. No password required: http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA_2011_RIT_Scale_Norms.pdf

This is the big 261 page document we've been waiting for!
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/09/11 06:11 PM
Thank you!

Interesting information... the upper ends compared to 2008 have increased dramatically!
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/09/11 06:18 PM
Thanks smile. I noticed that my dd11's middle school went back and retroactively changed the percentiles on the MAPS taken in past years to fit with the percentiles on this current chart. I'm not sure that is legit, but whatever.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/09/11 06:28 PM
Cricket... that wasn't the school. I think that was NWEA and how the reports printed this year. DD's spring reading was 96th percentile on the report in the spring and 73rd percentile on the fall report... not sure how that happens either
Posted By: CAMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/10/11 02:34 PM
Yes, Cricket that happened for us too. I think it's lame that NWEA went back and changed the 2009 data to match the 2011 norms. How did my kid get normed to a group of data that didn't exist at the time.

He apparently got dumber retroactively ;-)

What I did notice was that the top end has a wider spread and 99th percentile seems to be further out there than it was before. On one hand, this is good because they are recognizing the top end. On the other, it is a little frustrating for advocacy because I can hear the teacher now saying "He's not 99th percentile for the next grade up anymore, see right here?" Well just because you changed the data, doesn't mean you taught him anything this year!
Posted By: inky Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/10/11 05:02 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the updated norms report. It does look like a big jump at the high end. It also looks like it'll be a greater stretch for kids on the high end to meet their growth goals which may help for advocacy.
Posted By: BonusMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/10/11 05:29 PM
Thanks for the link, djf!

I'll be very interested to see how our district handles this information. I'll bet they're already gearing up for a lot of bewildered/angry callers!

Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/10/11 06:14 PM
As I see it... my dd7 didn't not learn anything.. they just changed the norms. I am not looking back on the scores but forward. What is the school going to do moving ahead to ensure the kids at the higher end meet growth goals and maintain their percentiles.
Posted By: CAMom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 10/11/11 01:32 AM
We're homeschooling this year, precisely due to the school's lack of interest in MAP scores. They test the kids 3x a year from K-6th grade. But they were only interested in 70th percentile and below. They were using MAP as a predictor of state standardized testing. Anyone above 70th percentile was essentially let off the hook for the year. I kid you not, my son was completely excused from math in 3rd grade. No different work, no next level up- just excused to read a book.
Posted By: BmJ Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/19/12 10:07 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. My son is in 3rd grade and he got 203 in nwea math in Fall 2011.
He had his second Nwea math test today in Winter 2012. His score was 206.
Is this a good improvement? First of all, what score is considered as a good score for a kid in 3rd grade?
Is my child below grade level or above grade level? I am confused.
Can someone explain me in detail please?
Posted By: Iucounu Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/19/12 10:17 PM
Hi, BmJ. That's unfortunately not much of an improvement, which might indicate that your son is not learning much at school. On the other hand, it might simply be that he had a bad test day during the winter, etc.

203 is at the 81st-82nd percentile for U.S. third graders testing in the fall. 206 is at the 72nd-74th percentile for U.S. third graders testing in the winter.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/19/12 10:20 PM
Fall 3rd grade math 203 is 82nd percentile. Winter score of 206 is 74th percentile. He is above average in the winter. Even though his score went up it did not go up at the same rate as other kids in the norm group (the drop in percentile).

As Iucounu said.. its just a snapshot of one day. There are many reasons for scores decreasing or no growth (low growth). Your child may have been fatigued, not feeling well, or just having a rough day.

I would contact the teacher to see what her plan (and yours) to ensure your son meets his growth goals for the year. I would also ask your son what he thinks about school and math. Is it too easy, too hard just right. Ask him about what happens in class. Does he get homework? How does it appear to you?
Posted By: BmJ Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/20/12 05:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. How do you guys know about the percentiles. Where can I get that info from? Can you please send me the link?
Posted By: BmJ Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/20/12 06:02 AM
Also, can you please tell me if a child gets less scores,does that mean something when she moves on to higher grades(middle school,high school etc).

Will these scores be used in future by schools and colleges to get admission or another issues? Please clarify.
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: new NWEA MAP norms - 01/20/12 01:27 PM
The percentiles can be found in this link appendix b
http://www.nwea.org/sites/www.nwea.org/files/resources/NWEA_2011_RIT_Scale_Norms.pdf

You want the scores to be going up and the percentiles to remain constant. When scores stay stagnant or go down it may be because the child isn't learning anything new. It could also be the child had a bad test day.

MAP tests are used by many districts to determine placement in gifted programs and accelerated classes or grade enrichment.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum