Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Lukemac Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 04:41 AM
Just wondering about your kid's handedness. Luke is left handed, which is an anomaly in our family!
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 04:54 AM
DD is a right-leaning ambi, and so am I (even moreso, in fact). DH is emphatically a righty.

Posted By: LotsOtots5 Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 01:10 PM
My husband and my 5 year old are lefties. My other kids (the ones old enough to write) are right handed.

Posted By: Irisheyes Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 01:22 PM
DD6 seemed completely ambidextrous for many years (something not common in my family), but has recently settled on being a righty, at least where writing is concerned.

DD5 always strongly preferred her right.
Posted By: foltzy Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 01:31 PM
DD5 and DS3 are both right handed. DH is also right, I'm left handed.
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 03:08 PM
Husband is lefty...I'm righty along with my three kiddos...For what it's worth, middle child is a switch hitter in baseball though still writes and throws righty smile
Posted By: Nik Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 03:20 PM
DD20 is a righty, DD17 is ambidextrous, or as she likes to say: she writes equally terribly with both hands. I was Ambidextrous but settled for being a righty by about age 10, my Grandma was ambidextrous too but everyone else is a righty as far as I know.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 03:30 PM
Dh is fully lefty, I am left only for writing, so basically ambi or even right handed (lol), ds and dd are righties though ds is 'right brained' it seems.
Gramps on my side was a switch hitter...
Posted By: mnmom23 Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 04:24 PM
DS12 is a righty but eats and brushes his teeth left handed (like his Grandpa, the only other left-leaning person in the family).

DD9 is a righty, but until she was 7ish played sports left-handed.

DS7 is a righty.

All three kids are left-footed, though, like their mom.
Posted By: LilMick Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 05:48 PM
I'm a lefty, as is DC20 (and several others in the extended family). DC16 is a righty, though she does some things left-handed in sports...
Posted By: aculady Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/09/11 06:54 PM

DD17 is ambidextrous, or as she likes to say: she writes equally terribly with both hands

Nik,

My son and I joke that we are both "ambi-sinister" for precisely this reason.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/10/11 12:46 AM
LOL!

DH calls it "Sasquatch Writing" when DD gets particularly lazy about her handwriting mechanics.

We used to joke that her handwriting was "either early pre-humanoid primate or third year med-school; take your pick."

While it is lovely when she makes the effort after years of effort on her part and ours... she simply doesn't see much point, I fear.
Posted By: blob Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/10/11 02:46 AM
Cackle. I've been wondering about this left/right thing for awhile. DH and I are righties. Both sides have a fair number of lefties and DH's side in particular has a strong line of ambis.

Ds is ambi. He's been writing with his right hand more frequently these days, but his writing is definitely Sasquatch (love that!). Im already so delighted that he wants to write, but these days, i try to ask for capitalization and full stops. The kinesiologist says he's so left eye dominant that it's hard for him to even look right from left, so she advises that he practices scribbling with his left hand. That's an interesting angle to think about. wink

Addendum. Oops - meant to say that he finds it hard to follow his right hand with his dominant left eye. He can't cross co-ordinate well.
Posted By: bretonalfie Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/11/11 12:14 PM
My wife is fully lefty,but I and my sons are right handed.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/11/11 05:51 PM
DH = RH
ME = LH (slightly ambi, moreso as a kid)
DS = RH (but started out LH and still has a lot of natural LH instincts)
DD = RH
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/11/11 05:57 PM
DS is (mildly) right-handed, like me; DH is left-handed.

(But people with entirely RHed families are far less likely than people with some Lhers in their families to click on this thread, I fear...)
Posted By: treecritter Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/11/11 07:13 PM
DS7 is left handed. DD4 is right handed, I think, but she occasionally switches hands and I don't notice very much difference in her handwriting. I was ambidextrous as a kid, but my grandma trained me to only use my right hand, so I'm out of practice with my left.
Posted By: HelloBaby Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/15/11 05:55 PM
DH and I are both right-handed.

DS2 is left-handed, and my mom is still trying to convince me to train DS to write with his right hand.
Posted By: Rocky Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/16/11 07:10 AM
DS6 is left handed. He writes left handed, but throws and catches right handed. DH and I are both right handed though I, my sister, and father were ambidextrous before learning to write.
Posted By: kd976 Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/23/11 03:32 AM
DH, DD & I are all righties
DS is a leftie, but seems to throw with right?
Posted By: La Texican Re: Lefty or righty? - 02/23/11 04:04 AM
Me and the boy are right-e. Dh is lefty. The princess, too soon to tell but according to blob we might be looking at a little lefty. She blinked like crazy waiting for her eyes to adjust her first few weeks of life. Later, whenever she would cry her eyes would buldge. She'd close them but then barely open her left eye, squinting to see if we were still looking while she cried.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum