Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Michaela Whole Child Education -- J P Miller - 01/02/11 07:21 PM
I picked up this book because it looked interesting:
John P. Miller, _Whole Child Education_, U of Toronto Press, 2010

There's stuff I'm really uncomfortable about in it, including some stuff that could be (or could not be) veiled anti-giftedness, but overall, I'm kinda really impressed. I think it's basically a kind of enrichment programme, and also, I think some of the "Transformation" stuff would work really well for some of the sensory and perfectionism issues a lot of gifties encounter.

I don't think it's quite secular, but I don't think anything is really truly secular, especially when it starts trying to include people's soul or spirit in the mix. Anyway, it claimes to be secular. I'm also concerned that, living in our family, DS will likely cover a lot of their specific transdisciplinary projects before they come up in the school's curriculum.

But... I got to the last chapter, and discovered Holy S$%^ that's OUR school district. So it would be a genuine option, down the road, for DS. (Not that I'm looking for schools, yet, but this one found me wink

Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or knows anything about Miller's stuff. He's got another book I now intend to look up.

-Mich
Posted By: Grinity Re: Whole Child Education -- J P Miller - 01/03/11 08:47 PM
Wish I knew, Mich - it sounds interesting. Wild to find out that it is your school district.
Best Wishes,
Grin
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum