Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: jesse Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/23/10 04:53 PM
What word would you use to replace "Giftedness"? For advocacy, awareness, identity, fundraising, etc, if you could choose a word that the rest of the (English) world could use, what would you pick? Or if not a word, a short phrase?

From past readings of other articles, learning about giftedness, and reading the article below, I've been thinking for several months now, there has got to be an alternative way to describe "giftedness"?

An excerpt from the article "How to Charm Gifted Adults into Admitting Giftedness: Their Own and Somebody's Else's"
by Willem Kuipers
p. 18
Advanced Development Journal

"Has the mainstream definition of giftedness unintentionally created a monstrosity of unattainable ideals that few adults dare to identify with? And is that the resulting role model we offer to our children, students, etc, about dealing with their own giftedness -- that we so astutely have labeled them with as part of their education? Isn't it a social issue of astronomical proportions, that gifted people cannot share their experiences of being gifted with other people, because to speak about one's own giftedness simply is not done? And because the gifted who know that they are gifted cannot share their "secret", the gifted that do not yet know it are not given the clue to their own riddle.

Are gifted adults meant to bear the load of being different alone in silence? To be silent, just being grateful for the possible contributions they can make to society's progress? Yet also receiving in real life reactions like "Who do you think you are?"

I think there isn't another word. It seems to me, no matter what word/phrase is used, the actual admitting or describing that one's ability to be intellectually-able, inquisitive, autonomous, and have great zeal in pursuing interests is just not something to be shared. If I'm good at sports, that's ok.

Welcome thoughts/discussion. smile
Posted By: Austin Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/23/10 07:02 PM
Accelerated learners.
Posted By: MamaJA Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/23/10 08:12 PM
High ability learners
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 12:36 AM
Humor alert)
Quirky (to friends) Weird (to others)
That's what I always thought it was... wink

I don't really think there is another word either, I think that's why we've always been stuck with gifted, because we can't come up with anything better.
Posted By: knute974 Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 01:22 AM
Unfortunately, I think that whatever term you use will carry the same negative connotation eventually. People on the other end of the spectrum have battled this for years. The labels have shifted from idiot to retarded to developmental disability to intellectual/cognitive disability. Once a term gains acceptance in the general population, the old baggage seems to come with it.
Posted By: no5no5 Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 03:54 AM
I think the word "gifted" makes a lot of sense in terms of finding support (in books, online, or in organizations), but not a lot of sense in everyday conversation. I've described DD as "asynchronous," "unusual," "special needs," "advanced," etc., depending on the circumstances. I talk about gifted issues, but more often in general terms than as a way to describe my DD. Except online. wink
Posted By: ginger234 Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 07:40 AM
It seems to me, no matter what word/phrase is used, the actual admitting or describing that one's ability to be intellectually-able, inquisitive, autonomous, and have great zeal in pursuing interests is just not something to be shared.
I honestly never have had an issue as a child, teen or adult being gifted. I feel like it is part of who I am just like I have brown hair & like math.

You may have read this in your research already, but I found it interesting. Definitions of Gifted The quote at the end is telling.
Knowing which definition of gifted a teacher or principal is using can help make communication less frustrating and more productive.
You could insert pretty much any person in that quote for "teacher or principal."

As for another word/phrase that would take the place of gifted, I've been trying to find one since my oldest daughter entered the program & I realized it was going to be an issue.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 11:14 AM
This does come up in conversation; I was talking to a co-worker who is obviously gifted and we were discussing his daughter. He has no issues calling her super-smart or gifted, but when I said something about his being really smart, even just that phrase he shied away from.

I know it won't matter much in the grand scheme of things but for my own purposes I have tried to just come right out and tell people I am smart, where it is warranted. For purposes of job interviews, for instance, it seems to have a charming rather than chilling effect. Maybe it is the way I say it, who knows? But people want to hire that, anyway.

Posted By: Grinity Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by ginger234
You may have read this in your research already, but I found it interesting. Definitions of Gifted The quote at the end is telling.
Knowing which definition of gifted a teacher or principal is using can help make communication less frustrating and more productive.
You could insert pretty much any person in that quote for "teacher or principal."

This is a key point. The thing to do is figure out the other person's definition of giftedness and ask questions until you get that person's words for your kid, and then use the other person's internal language.

I've joked for years that everyone has their own definition of giftedness, and since their is no one correct definition, then all of them are correct for the person who is using them, including my DH who believes that a person can't be gifted if he knows or remembers one person who is 'much smarter' than themselves. We were joking about it last night when I returned from the conference, I guess because he couldn't imagine that 400 people know someone like his best friend in High School. I told him that the definition varied, but that in schools it was usually between the top 10% and top 2% depending on local custom, with 3% being popular.

'Oh,' he said, 'I guess I am gifted then.'

Then I told him about how I always tell people about this private definition of gifted, and he looked at me and said the name of of his best friend in High School.

So nice to watch the penny drop! And after only 6 years. Big happy Smile!

For me - my son has 'special educational needs' because of his unusal early intellectual developmental path when I'm talking school talk, and Gifted with friends. One advantage of being in the Young Scholar Program is that it makes fessing up to the 'gifted' label rather more easy.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/24/10 09:58 PM
When I thought about this: when DS attended a gifted group we told him it was a club for kids who liked to learn things. That seemed to work for him as a 4 yo, but I wonder if it didn't imply that other children don't like to learn.
Posted By: jesse Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/29/10 12:47 AM
Thank everyone. Sorry for getting back here so late, been away for a bit and don't have time to type up a thorough answer. But I love all your comments as they all ring so true.

One thought, it doesn't seem to matter which word/phrase, there will always be all that it implies. If there is one special gifted soccer player, then by default everyone who isn't as special isn't gifted. Just plain old normal. It seems the general public is quite comfortable with the sports part of giftedness. But then lots of people do not know themselves and are in self-denial at many layers. smile That's my explanation of life. Ha.

Posted By: La Texican Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/29/10 04:42 AM
Nerd works. It takes one to want to be one. It's self-depreciating enough to be P.C. and not too "elite". Although what's wrong with elitism. Shouldn't everyone want to be their best? Maybe it's the "ism" that earns the "jerk" title after it because it implies exclusion. But geeks don't really exclude anyone who want to be included. You just won't have fun with somethings nerds find satisfying and exciting. Educational enthusiast? Information addict? Curiosity driven, Nosy know-it-all's anonymous. Relentless student.
Posted By: tory Re: Mainstream definition of giftedness - 10/29/10 11:22 AM
I've been hearing 'exceptional learners' used quite a bit lately. The beauty of it, I guess, is it covers both ends of the spectrum smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum