Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: JJsMom Meteor Shower - 08/11/10 05:53 PM
This one is real... smile It starts tomorrow.

Meteor Shower
Posted By: Clay Re: Meteor Shower - 08/11/10 06:42 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. smile
Posted By: Wren Re: Meteor Shower - 08/12/10 08:58 PM
I have not had luck, looking for the last 3 years. It never seems to be clear enough when really good. Sometimes I see a meteor or 2. I actually saw a good one a month ago.

We are at the beach and I looked today and it was so cloudy. Hoping for tomorrow. Never good enough to get DD up for it.
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Meteor Shower - 08/12/10 09:14 PM
We've been looking forward to this! But we've had a black bear wandering the neighbourhood this week, so we may pass this year...

Posted By: La Texican Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 03:28 AM
"August 12, 13 - Perseids Meteor Shower. The Perseids is one of the best meteor showers to observe, producing up to 60 meteors per hour at their peak. This year's shower should peak on the night of August 12 and the morning of the 13th, but you may be able to see some meteors any time from July 23 - August 22. The radiant point for this shower will be in the constellation Perseus. The thin, crescent moon will be out of the way early, setting the stage for a potentially spectacular show. For best viewing, look to the northeast after midnight."

It's about time.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wren
I have not had luck, looking for the last 3 years. It never seems to be clear enough when really good. Sometimes I see a meteor or 2. I actually saw a good one a month ago.

We are at the beach and I looked today and it was so cloudy. Hoping for tomorrow. Never good enough to get DD up for it.

I had no luck last night... I think we're just too close to the "city", meaning too many lights and whatnot to cloud the clear skies. DH is from the country (and I do mean with dirt roads), and I bet it would've been SPECTACULAR from there.
Posted By: Belle Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 01:42 PM
Well we made it out last night after midnight and it wasn't as spectacular as it was last year for us....the sky was super clear but we only saw about 12 in an hour time period....might be too much light pollution :-( Was still cool though...I think the coolest thing was the swooping thing came out of no where...it hit the top of our neighbor's palm tree and then we heard this horrible screeching sound like a mouse and then the thing swooped to the top of another neighbor's house. It was a HUGE owl that had just caught some poor dinner that was in the palm tree and then you could hear it crunching as he ate.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 02:02 PM
LOL Belle!!!
Posted By: Raddy Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 02:21 PM
Another rain shower more like - in the sunny North West of England. We're going to see this one year, I swear!
Posted By: La Texican Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 02:26 PM
I made it out for like half an hour and saw like five of them. When I told ds what was going to happen he got scared, "they're going to burn me.". Come inside before they hurt you. He was playing happily in the yard with the dog at midnight until I told him about the stars.
Is this a yearly thing?
Posted By: Kate Re: Meteor Shower - 08/13/10 05:50 PM
Every year, on or around August 12th!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum