Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Floridama Grasshoppers - 05/25/10 09:00 PM
Just went outside to check on my DD7. She has a notebook and stop watch in hand and apparently has caught some grasshoppers. She is conducting an experiment by moving the grasshoppers into different containers to see which one they jump the most in.
LOL
Only in this forum, can this be normal.
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Grasshoppers - 05/25/10 11:27 PM
That's wonderful. JUST LOVE IT.

I love to hear what other kids have done with stop watches.

Last summer, DS9 and DD7 were out side with the clip board and several paper airplanes and a stop watch.
Posted By: blob Re: Grasshoppers - 05/26/10 12:26 AM
With boys, grasshopper experiments can get a lot messier. DS7 found a dead grasshopper. With a friend, they devised an experiment to see how tough the body of a grasshopper was, and how it would react to force. They threw various objects at it and drew a graph depicting the level of impact (not sure how they assigned values). His conclusion - the body was very tough, and a rubber ball provided the greatest impact because the body broke apart."

I didn't have the heart to tell him it could be due to repeated blows whistle.

[Sorry about the gross content].
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Grasshoppers - 05/26/10 03:14 AM
Thanks for sharing this, it put a big smile on my face. And yes ... totally normal in this forum!

My DD 3 1/2 has her love/hate relationship with bugs and the other day the topic of grasshoppers came up. We also have two golden retrievers named Barley and Hops. DD calls Hops many a variety of his name including Hoppers. So when the topic of grasshoppers came up she turned her attention to Hops and asked if he could be a grasshopper since he does get in the grass. smile I guess so!
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Grasshoppers - 05/26/10 12:06 PM
Katelyn, I love your dogs' names! smile

I won't go and mention the experiment that my two did yesterday. It's similar to blob's only it includes a roach (er, palmetto bug) and flip flops. wink
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Grasshoppers - 05/26/10 02:07 PM
When we were little, my brother used to catch salamanders and we'd race them across the lawn (we always put them back carefully afterwards, of course). We kept a leader board and various race statistics--lots of springtime fun every year.

Katelyn'sMom, I too love your dogs' names! There used to be a little folk trio here named Pale, Bitter, and Stout, which always made me laugh, too!

peace
minnie
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Grasshoppers - 05/26/10 03:20 PM
It's so much fun when we have the dogs out because they get lots of attention on looks alone but when people ask their names it usually takes them a second to realize the humor and the looks on their face is just too funny. We usually get a question of if you had another dog what would you name it? Got it covered ... even though we have no plans to add to our dog family. But if we did the dog's name would definitely be Blitz. smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum