Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cawdor Snap Circuits - 05/15/10 02:56 PM
Some here might already know this toy, but we got this for our newly minted 6 year old son(Late April).

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-100...-and-games&qid=1273934678&sr=8-1

I opened it up with him and worked on the first 4 or so experiments to show him how to put objects together based on the picture shown to him. I then let him go on his own with it and watch him perform the experiments on his own and asked him questions. He was able to explain that the circuit must be completed for the experiment to work and that the resistor is what made the light dimmer or the sound to be lower in pitch.

The kit comes with 101 experiments to put together, and he went through the book 2x. So I talked with the wife and we purchased hin the 500m experiment set

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-500...-and-games&qid=1273935182&sr=8-1

So we will see how fast he can go through 500 experiments 2x. After that who knows ... the company has more advanced electronic lab kits that teach you how to follow real electrical schematics as well has build your own RC robots ...

I am thinking the first one so he can help with the house rewiring lamps, fans and the audio/visual equipment.
Posted By: Val Re: Snap Circuits - 05/15/10 04:12 PM
My eldest got a large set of Snap Circuits for Christmas a couple years ago. He loves them! And now my second son is discovering them.

I was one of those kids who took all my toys apart to figure out how they worked. All I can say about Snap Circuits is that I wish they'd existed in the 70s and 80s!

Val
Posted By: Cawdor Re: Snap Circuits - 05/16/10 12:34 AM
Closest thing I had was the metal Erector sets with motors
Posted By: shellymos Re: Snap Circuits - 05/16/10 01:29 AM
We love snap circuits. We got DS5 snapcircuits 100 when he turned 4 because we thought he would like them...he LOVED them so we ended up getting the upgrade to 300 for Christmas. Of course...now he wants the 500 so we may buy the upgrade kit for that for his b-day or something. Should have saved money and just bought the 500 at the beginning but we didn't know how big of a hit it would be!
Posted By: Cawdor Re: Snap Circuits - 05/16/10 02:22 AM
You never do .. we were surprised how much he got absorbed into it as well. It really is hit and miss with somethings.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Snap Circuits - 05/16/10 02:41 AM

Here's my son when he was 3 or 4 with one of the kits -
Posted By: ksjc123 Re: Snap Circuits - 05/16/10 04:02 AM
May I suggest to all the snap kit lovers ( us included ) think about having the kids get HAM radio licenses. They are half way there. Code is no longer required. I plan to do this with my kids. It will full fill my long time desire to get one for myself at the same time have a great joint achievement with the kids. I hope to do this when they turn 10 or so.
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Snap Circuits - 05/17/10 05:01 AM
What a cool idea, ksjc123! I think I will look into this--thanks!

peace
minnie
Posted By: AutumnButterfly Re: Snap Circuits - 05/22/10 01:00 AM
My 5 yr old got Snap Circuits this past Solstice and LOVES them. We've done one upgrade so far and he wants more.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum