Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Raddy 5 minute maths - 04/16/10 12:27 PM
I don't know if this is the correct forum for this, but I wanted to share a little success story.
After monthss of cajoling, tears and frustration I think I have finally arrived at a maths teaching method that works - 5 minute maths.

Well, how does it work you ask. Well, simple - you do a 5 minute maths lesson every day. Choose a topic your little'un is having difficulty with (say fractions) and just do 5 minutes teaching/questions with them. Keep it on a timer so it is short and snappy and nobody gets fraught and frustrated. It has worked wonders here - and little'uns maths scores in the areas in which he was struggling have increased dramatically (as well as the more important factor that he actually is beginning to understand the concepts, which is the real aim surely)

Posted By: elizabethmom Re: 5 minute maths - 04/16/10 01:19 PM
I have found it amazing to see how kids like ours sometimes just need 5 minutes of individual attention to get a concept, like in math. My DD gets so bored that she doesn't pay attention in school, so she comes home confused about a skill. I spend 5 minutes with her and she gets it right away. This is a good method, Raddy, sounds like a summer project (or, a mini one).
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum