Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: eldertree New to Forum - 02/25/10 10:38 AM
A brief intro before jumping in seemed appropriate, so this is it:

Four kids, two of whom are adults and two on the verge of teenager-ness. The two youngest (oh-so-creatively hereafter referred to as Boychild and Girlchild) are homeschooled (no denim jumpers, though I have been known to wear Birkenstocks). All have acquired the gifted label at some point or another; Girlchild is twice exceptional (also referred to as "that kid ain't right", what with being Southern and all). My story is that she's just like her dad.
I tend toward deadpan humor, run-on-sentences, and overuse of parentheses, and shall make a blanket apology upfront for all of those.

Nice to meet y'all.

eldertree
Posted By: Learningmom Re: New to Forum - 02/25/10 01:44 PM
Hi eldertree!
Welcome! I totally appreciate deadpan humor and still own Birkenstocks. I tend toward incomplete sentences and overuse of quotes myself.
I'm glad you found a place where your child 'is just fine'!
Look forward to hearing from you-
Posted By: inky Re: New to Forum - 02/25/10 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by eldertree
Girlchild is twice exceptional (also referred to as "that kid ain't right", what with being Southern and all).
As a non-native adjusting to life in the South, this totally cracked me up. Welcome and I look forward to reading more of your posts.
P.S. And I've been referred to as "linky" because I like to posts so many links. I'm also the queen of the afterthought.
Posted By: Lori H. Re: New to Forum - 02/25/10 02:48 PM
Welcome. Nice to meet you.

I have an 11 year old son who is 2E. My husband is perfect, therefore our son must be more like me.

I am trying to develop a sense of humor about it all.
Posted By: vicam Re: New to Forum - 02/25/10 05:51 PM
This is where I wanted to post

Itry to blame it on son's father, anounomous soperm donor but he is a carbon copy of me but male w/ all that goes w/ that ie selective hearing
Posted By: Botchan Re: New to Forum - 02/25/10 08:25 PM
(also referred to as "that kid ain't right", what with being Southern and all.)
Hilarious! laugh

I'm a mom of "that kid" myself. Welcome!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: New to Forum - 02/26/10 12:40 AM
LOl!! too funny, welcome!
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: New to Forum - 02/26/10 01:33 AM
Welcome to the board eldertree and I can already tell you will have some wonderful posts. Look forward to reading more from you.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: New to Forum - 02/26/10 09:10 PM
Welcome.
Posted By: eldertree Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 03:04 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome! I've spent the weekend at a band event and am still deciding whether it's left me deaf or daft. (I have a sneaking suspicion it's probably both.)

~el
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 03:56 AM
haha - if you have a child in the band, you are most likely deaf, daft & in debt!
Posted By: eldertree Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 06:49 PM
LOL, Jewel! One word: bagpipes.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 06:54 PM
Oh...then we must add....Daring and Dexterous of Hand!
Posted By: Grinity Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 07:31 PM
though I have been known to wear Birkenstocks).
I used to wear Birkenstocks, until DS13 (2E/PG) was old enough to walk, and I had to stop wearing open toe'd shoes enirely. He used to step on my toes quite frequently. Now he's more coordinated, but too big to take a chance on.
smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 07:32 PM
A brief intro before jumping in seemed appropriate, so this is it:

Four kids, two of whom are adults and two on the verge of teenager-ness.
eldertree

Does having a set of 'already launched' kids reasure you about the younger ones?
Grinity - mom of only child, aged 13.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: New to Forum - 03/01/10 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Grinity
Does having a set of 'already launched' kids reasure you about the younger ones?

FWIW, I have two older children DD24 and DS20 in addition to DD5. I had thought that "this time around" would be easier, since I am older and wiser and can pretty much say BTDT to almost every situation. I thought I would be better prepared to handle the day-to-day stuff and not see emergencies and crisises where there were none. And I have to admit, that much is true. I am calmer and not so quick to panic with issues this time around.

But, in some ways, we got a big dose of reality dropped in our laps when DD5 came into our lives. It is as if we are doing this for the first time. She did not follow the plan I had in mind. :-)

I do have to say, I am in a better position (older and wiser) to make sure that her needs get met, and advocate if need be. Having two older ones is reasuring in that it allows me to "not be so tough on myself", since I have living proof that you can make some mistakes while your kids are growing up, and they still turn out to be responsible, caring, productive members of the family & society.

I sometimes feel I am stuck in the middle. An experienced parent with not much experience raising a PG child, who is parenting child number three who is being raised as if she were an only child. (do not know if that makes sense, but it felt right when I typed it) :-)

Jewels
Posted By: Grinity Re: New to Forum - 03/02/10 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by JewelsJC
Originally Posted by Grinity

And I have to admit, that much is true. I am calmer and not so quick to panic with issues this time around.

I do have to say, I am in a better position (older and wiser) to make sure that her needs get met, and advocate if need be. Having two older ones is reasuring in that it allows me to "not be so tough on myself", since I have living proof that you can make some mistakes while your kids are growing up, and they still turn out to be responsible, caring, productive members of the family & society.

Jewels

Thanks for the reassurance!
Grinity
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum