Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: hhugh Special socks? - 01/04/10 11:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I remember hearing about special socks for kids who are sensitive to seams etc. I tried to search past postings for info and didn't come up w/ much. Does anyone know anything about them? Brands, if they are helpful, etc.? Or do you have any tips for dealing w/ the sock issue?? Now that we're really into winter, it is a major issue once again!!

Thanks!!

Holly
Posted By: Mama22Gs Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 12:06 AM
I googled "sensory integration disorder socks" and found several hits. You might give that a try.

Good luck! I know it's hard when things that are non-issues to most are big issues in your home.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 12:24 AM
This was a big issue in our house, but ordinary tube socks seemed to do pretty well. Needless to say that when I found a pair that was acceptable, I bought in bulk.

Another trick that might help is to turn them inside out.

There was a catalog of 'fancy' cotton clothing for kids that my SIL had to buy all my niece's socks from, but I don't remember the name. You are NOT alone.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 12:56 AM
You might also try socks for diabetics.
Posted By: JenSMP Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 01:54 AM
We had this issue for the longest time...still do sometimes. The Starter socks at Walmart (with the grey or black elastic in the middle-fit the foot exactly so no bulking) work well for my son. Also, at Target they have these ankle socks with a yellow tripe at the toe. I can't remember the brand, but for some reason those have never bothered ds. We also buy those in bulk, and so do the grandparents!
Posted By: questions Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 04:06 AM
http://www.kidstockmontana.com/tictactoesocks.html
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 07:31 AM
Questions, great link! We have sock issues with dd3, but they seem to be fading a bit, thank the heavens. Still they need to be lined up perfectly most days, so I might still think about these seamless ones.
Posted By: Elisa Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 04:10 PM
My kids like the underwear and socks at Hanna Andersson. They're supersoft and have no exposed seams or elastic. They go on sale a couple of times a year.

www.hannaandersson.com
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 05:11 PM
My oldest DD (now 25) has this issue. When she was a child I used to pull the seam part out about 2 inches and fold it over, it helped but didn't solved it (I was broke when raising her so no fancy seamless socks for her, do they even make those?). Now as an adult she "never" wears socks that I know of and is always in flip flops, thank goodness we live in CA.
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 05:59 PM
I still hate sock seams. And bunching, folding, tight elastic at the cuff, loose elastic at the cuff... or anything that isn't a perfect fit... so I knit my own. whistle

Short of that, though, I've heard good things about Hanna Andersson.

Why is it that DS is the gifted one and I got all the overexcitabilities?? LOL
Posted By: hhugh Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 10:39 PM
Thank you all so much! These websites are great. I started looking on search engines, but these "fancy" socks are too expensive for me to buy one from each site to see what DD likes best. I feel like I've already spent a fortune on socks over the years!! Thank you for your ideas and suggestions.

I knew you BTDT mamas here would what I was dealing with!
Posted By: questions Re: Special socks? - 01/05/10 11:30 PM
My DS wore those socks for a year - and then stopped wearing even those. No more socks for him - at least kids' snow boots are well insulated. I think he'll end up living where it's warm year round.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Special socks? - 01/06/10 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by KAR120C
... so I knit my own. whistle

Nice!! smile

Posted By: RobotMom Re: Special socks? - 01/06/10 12:12 AM
We have this issue PLUS the added problem that DD will only wear knee socks that go either to the bottom of her knee or over the knee!! She has the skinniest little legs too that it is really hard to find socks that fit lengthwise and are tight enough width wise.
However, she is really easy to spot on the school grounds with everyone in a uniform - I only have to look for the white socked legs - really cute.
We found 1 brand, at Target, with the brown 2 lines toes, that have worked thus far this year. (we're keeping our fingers crossed)
Posted By: HelloBaby Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 06:30 PM
:bump:

DS5 has been complaining about his sock seams every morning for a long time.

At first, I thought he was just using that as an excuse to not go to school.

Maybe he isn't after all!
Posted By: Saritz Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 06:43 PM
We have this problem too, with both of my DSs. I buy Stride Rite socks (they are thinner) and they wear them inside out.
Posted By: bluemagic Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by JenSMP
We had this issue for the longest time...still do sometimes. The Starter socks at Walmart (with the grey or black elastic in the middle-fit the foot exactly so no bulking) work well for my son. Also, at Target they have these ankle socks with a yellow tripe at the toe. I can't remember the brand, but for some reason those have never bothered ds. We also buy those in bulk, and so do the grandparents!
My son has worns the yellow striped socks bought at Target for years and never had any complaints about socks. (I'm not sure of the brand either.. they aren't labeled.) Shorts, t-shirts he complains about, and I now only buy DS high end pima cotton t-shirts.
Posted By: HelloBaby Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by bluemagic
My son has worns the yellow striped socks bought at Target for years and never had any complaints about socks. (I'm not sure of the brand either.. they aren't labeled.)

Are they with the rest of the sock selections?
Posted By: puffin Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 08:28 PM
I would have bought seamless socks for ds5 when he was 3 if there had been any here to buy. However while he still adjusts them carefully he has got better. I am not suggesting ignoring sensory issues- just be sure it is not a manageable problem before you commit to a childhood of expensive socks.
Posted By: notnafnaf Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 09:15 PM
We had this issue for a little while when DS was 2.5/3 - and we ended up switching to gap and gymboree socks for now. They were softer than the generic brand (babiesrus?) brand and that made a difference for him. At home, we have the kids run barefoot. I also noticed that certain shoe brands made the issue worse for him (no more generic target shoes for us at least for now) - if my own experience is go by, it would have to do with how the seams line up with the stitching on the shoes (some sneakers, I really dislike because of that sock seam/shoe stitching rubbing on each other).

Now, he is careful about noting where the seam is on his foot.
Posted By: bluemagic Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by HelloBaby
My son has worns the yellow striped socks bought at Target for years and never had any complaints about socks. (I'm not sure of the brand either.. they aren't labeled.)

Yes.. they are something like "Gold Toe". I know they are in the kids section & adult section. Although looking at them they aren't seamless, but the seam just isn't on the toe. My son is very particular about his socks, rejecting them when I try other brands.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by notnafnaf
- if my own experience is go by, it would have to do with how the seams line up with the stitching on the shoes (some sneakers, I really dislike because of that sock seam/shoe stitching rubbing on each other).

I've always hated when the seam starts sliding down under the foot -- I've bemoaned for years the lack of tube socks in Walmart. And I absolutely cannot stand socks that slouch.

For the last couple of years, though, I've had this odd sensitivity to some socks, where I am walking along and all of a sudden I can feel the terrycloth on the bottoms of my feet, like walking in sand. I think it's a nerve thing, maybe a new twist on my old sciatica. Anyone recognize that?
Posted By: polarbear Re: Special socks? - 07/15/14 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by HelloBaby

Yes.. they are something like "Gold Toe". I know they are in the kids section & adult section.

Gold Toe is the brand name - there are stores other than Target that carry them too smile

polarbear
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Special socks? - 07/16/14 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Nautigal
Originally Posted by notnafnaf
- if my own experience is go by, it would have to do with how the seams line up with the stitching on the shoes (some sneakers, I really dislike because of that sock seam/shoe stitching rubbing on each other).

I've always hated when the seam starts sliding down under the foot -- I've bemoaned for years the lack of tube socks in Walmart. And I absolutely cannot stand socks that slouch.

For the last couple of years, though, I've had this odd sensitivity to some socks, where I am walking along and all of a sudden I can feel the terrycloth on the bottoms of my feet, like walking in sand. I think it's a nerve thing, maybe a new twist on my old sciatica. Anyone recognize that?

Yes. I avoid socks when possible, and I'm quite particular otherwise. Sometimes if they get scritchy like that after washing, re-washing will help. {shudders} I also cannot stand most hosiery, which feels very much like caterpillars crawling all over my skin when I move. ICK. eek

Posted By: Mahagogo5 Re: Special socks? - 07/16/14 01:13 AM
We switched to merino and problem solved. We did try sensory socks but they were so thick the fold may as well have been a seam. I was getting desperate as dd was refusing socks and it was snowing
Posted By: aeh Re: Special socks? - 07/16/14 02:26 AM
Personally, I abominate socks, and have owned exactly one pair (at a time) for the past 20 years, which is worn only when I have to (such as inside certain boots or running shoes). (And even then, I don't always wear them.)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum