Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Wyatt Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 03:40 PM
DS�s teacher is retiring this year. If DS could select a new teacher, what characteristics would be important to him? How would your children answer the following question: A great teacher is ___?

I�ve thought about what makes a great teacher from a parent�s point of view, but I�d like to know what kids think.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 04:17 PM
Ooh, I will ask DS later!
Posted By: Wyatt Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 04:27 PM
Thanks!

When I asked DS3 he said "nice, happy, and sweet-sounding." smile Our conversation reminded me of Jane & Michael Banks listing attributes of Mary Poppins.
Posted By: JenSMP Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 05:10 PM
My ds says, a great teacher is "someone who teaches you". I couldn't have said it better myself! Given his experience with the educational system, I get where he's coming from! LOL
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 05:35 PM
Last year, I made a scrap book for teachers. Each child had their own page finishing this sentence. This is what I appreciate about you...My DS wrote he appreciated that she let him zoom ahead of the class on his Math.

I think I will ask my kids about this statement. Good idea on the thread!
Posted By: delbows Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by JenSMP
My ds says, a great teacher is "someone who teaches you". I couldn't have said it better myself! Given his experience with the educational system, I get where he's coming from! LOL

We have discussed this before at our house. I know how my ds would answer, that a great teacher must have expertise in the particular subject/s they instruct, not just use the teacher�s edition text. He would also respond that "sweet" is an over-rated teacher trait and often more a fa�ade, but that "fair" is an absolute requirement for a great teacher.
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/12/09 08:54 PM
I asked my DD7 to finish the sentence A great teacher is... and was told that it is not a complete sentence. :-) So I said well I know that. Please make it a complete sentence by inserting your own definition of a great teacher. Answer - A great teacher is helpful and nice.

DS8 - A great teacher is someone who knows what they are doing. A great teacher should be able to accurately explain things. A great teacher has a lot of knowledge and good teaching skills because that is their job.
Posted By: JewelsJC Re: Child's POV: A great teacher is___ - 11/13/09 02:16 AM
My DD4 said, a great teacher is "best".

I asked for clarrification, and she said, "everyone gets a teacher, but it is best for everyone to get a great teacher"
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum