Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: lgc16 gifted ieps - 03/23/09 04:15 PM
Why doesn't GA mandate IEPs for gifted students?
Posted By: Mia Re: gifted ieps - 03/23/09 05:46 PM
Many states don't. Our state doesn't. In fact, our public school would have laughed at us if we'd asked. frown
Posted By: ienjoysoup Re: gifted ieps - 03/23/09 06:09 PM
Hello from NY state....
Our school and many district officials didn't know what a GIEP was......

There seems to be an awakening happening though, I have hope!

smile
Posted By: inky Re: gifted ieps - 03/23/09 06:45 PM
Looks like GIEPs are the exception rather than the rule frown

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mandates.htm#usa
Posted By: BWBShari Re: gifted ieps - 03/23/09 09:36 PM
In NM, it's an IEP. They don't differentiate between gifted and special ed.
Posted By: Kriston Re: gifted ieps - 03/23/09 09:44 PM
In some places I think it's called a WEP, or "Written Educational Plan."
Posted By: JJsMom Re: gifted ieps - 03/24/09 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by lgc16
Why doesn't GA mandate IEPs for gifted students?

Are you in GA? Me too! Don't even get me started on the inadequacies of this "wonderful" state!!!!!

Posted By: JDAx3 Re: gifted ieps - 03/24/09 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by JJsMom
Are you in GA? Me too! Don't even get me started on the inadequacies of this "wonderful" state!!!!!

We were in GA when DS tested into the gifted program in K. We moved to a new state where gifted ieps are done and it's a totally different experience. It'll be interesting when we move again to see how another state does things.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: gifted ieps - 03/25/09 01:51 AM
Ah, I see.

We haven't made it to K yet (this fall). We'll see how testing goes then.

Posted By: LilyBee Re: gifted ieps - 03/26/09 05:27 PM
Yesterday I received a letter from my son's school stating that they want to have a meeting to decide whether or not he is "eligible for services". If he passes that hurdle, they "will be writing an IEP for him at that time". Finally! I have been trying to get to this point all school year. After months of stagnating, I had to nearly pitch a fit for someone to get moving. And now, we still have to wait until the end of April for the meeting. So much for getting help this year. You would think that my son is the first gifted child that has passed through their system. Last year the school started him an SST (student support team) file. It is where the teachers get together and try to figure out what to do for a child in need of help. Supposedly, there was a "next level". Well, everyone kept avoiding the question when I would ask about going to the next level. Why not? Nothing else was working. Never went to the "next level", whatever that is...

I am, also, in GA. I love GA, but their school systems are pretty much the pits.
Posted By: JDAx3 Re: gifted ieps - 03/26/09 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by LilyBee
Last year the school started him an SST (student support team) file. It is where the teachers get together and try to figure out what to do for a child in need of help.

When we were in GA, I was always under the impression that DS should have had an SST, but nothing like that was ever done. Not to mention an IEP, I had more than a couple teachers tell me that IEPs weren't done for gifted in GA. The school tested him in K, he was in the enrichment program and was subject accelerated. When he hit 2nd grade, they started out with the acceleration, but then stopped. I was told that an advanced program for the particular curriculum was available and he would do that in his gen ed class. To hear DS tell it, he just repeated the same stuff he'd done via acceleration the previous year - he said some things were a little different, but not much.

I had a hard time pinning anyone down for definitive answers and then we knew were moving, so we just figured we'd wait to get to the next place.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum