Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Grinity Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/01/09 06:43 PM
Dear Ones,
Starting on Feb 9h I'd like to start a Seminar for those of us who want to turn our attention to our Adult Partnership. I'm thinking that being a Giftie married to a Giftie has special benifits and challenges that I know I can't talk about with my local neighbors, without getting blank stares, that it. I've pretty much been trying to 'figure it all out myself' and well, you know what that leads to - very very little!

I don't want to 'put it out here in public' but if you send me a private message - or put your name here, I'll make a giant private message for everyone to share, together, off list.

I'm hoping for:
Some venting in the direction of figuring out what our main concerns are and how our own baggage gets involved.
Some teaching of each other.
Some goal setting and
Report-backs on how it is going....

I'm not a therapist, and can't give medical advice, and I don't have all the answers, but I'm a great believer that if we work together, we will have all the answers we need.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Putting my name here to be added to the Giant Private message, please
....plus I wanted to bump this back up for anyone who missed it on the first go around.
Giftie married to a Giftie..... well this is a problem when Jeopardy comes on...... *snicker snicker* .... who can answer it first. watching my parents watch that show was a laugh and a half!

smile
I would like to add my name to the list. smile
can't say just how "giftie" I am, but am definately married to one. Add me to the list, please!

and thank you smile
Please add my name to the list.
Posted By: Mia Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/08/09 06:36 PM
Count me in! What an interesting idea.
Posted By: hkc75 Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/08/09 08:00 PM
I'm interested.
I'm in!
Me too.
Yippee!
I'm in. How cool and,,,,thanks!!!
Posted By: Emm Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 01:02 AM
Me too, me too....please?
Thanks, G.!
Posted By: lily Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 03:28 AM
This sounds great. I'd love to do it! Thanks so much.
Good Morning!
I'm expecting my 'Super PM' to be organized tonight, but for now, I'll post an article to get us thinking.

The first thing that I noticed, was that when I went to the SENG library, looking for a 'Guide to Preserving your marriage relationship while parenting a High Need Child' Article - and found that I couldn't find it!

In the 'Adult Gifted Section' - I found this one:
http://www.sengifted.org/articles_adults/prober_counseling_gifted_adults.shtml

Which briefly mentioned marriage! The rest were 'at work' or 'intrapersonal'

So if someone has a few minutes to browse through SENG http://www.sengifted.org/articles_index.shtml or some other site and find an article that addresses Marriage in Gifted Families, please post it here, ok?

Thanks!
Grinity
and me too! I'm really glad I came by the board today, b/c this is a neat idea!
Originally Posted by Grinity
Good Morning!

In the 'Adult Gifted Section' - I found this one:
http://www.sengifted.org/articles_adults/prober_counseling_gifted_adults.shtml

Which briefly mentioned marriage! The rest were 'at work' or 'intrapersonal'

Good article. I liked that it mentioned some of the sensitivities that I have lived with. My son has some of the same sensitivities and he tries to hide them. When one person in a marriage has "sensitivities" that the other sees as a weakness to be overcome, this can be a problem.
Posted By: Edwin Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 05:35 PM
Please count me in.

Great Idea
Posted By: ebeth Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 05:58 PM
I think this is a wonderful idea, Grinity. I don't post very often right now, but I would love to see how this discussion unfolds. The link from SENG that Lori posted fits me to a tee, and it definitely puts a strain on a marriage. I would love to hear how other people handle this.

Posted By: Austin Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by ebeth
I think this is a wonderful idea, Grinity. I don't post very often right now, but I would love to see how this discussion unfolds. The link from SENG that Lori posted fits me to a tee, and it definitely puts a strain on a marriage. I would love to hear how other people handle this.

I read that SENG article a few months ago.

This is a big issue for DW and I.

DW and I have had some friction over me just doing everything. It makes her feel not needed and useless. And I sometimes resent "having to do everything." Her job is much more high profile and stressful so I tend to want to jump in to help. With Mr W added to picture, we just slid into this.

But we now realize its not healthy in the long term.

Our solution is to alternate days on who does tasks around the home (cooking/laundry/getting Mr W) as well as divvy up the longer term tasks such as vacation planning. We use one morning a week as a "clean the house" day. We also talk over "the plan" every morning. I have to resist the urge to "help" and just go read a book or workout and let her do things at her own pace. Sometimes, she cannot meet her commitments due to work issues and I gladly step in. Some nights we cook together, too.

Posted By: Isa Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/09/09 09:02 PM
May I join?
Please count me in.
Well, I gave the 'Giant PM' a try. Hopefully everyone who wants to be 'in' has a flashing 'message' in their inbox right now.

I am very touched that there is so much interest in this topic. Anything that helps Gifted Children grow Strong is near and dear to my heart, and strong Partnerships amoung the important grownups certianly matters!

My back up plan is to break into smaller groups if the site can't handle the Giant PM idea.

I would reccomend that we continue this 'public' thread with any information that isn't 'too personal' such as 'favorite advice books' or great links.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
I would ask folks who expected to be included, but weren't to post here, rather than in my private message box, as this spot is easier for me to find.

Thanks,
Grinity
Posted By: Mia Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/10/09 12:11 AM
I'm not flashing, Grin! grin
I'm not either. <Waving wildly>

wink
((sad face))
I'll launch subgroups as I figure out who isn't included. Please be patient, ok?

Posted By: Edwin Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/10/09 12:48 AM
I'm not flashing, good thing too, I am at work.
me! me!
Turns out that no one got the Giant PM, so I just launched the 'SubGroups!'

Ok if anyone Still doesn't have a flashing envelope, post here, ok?

Happy flashing Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: lily Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/10/09 01:16 AM
I always have a flashing envelope. Am I doing something wrong?
I'm concerned for Grinity...I've managed online groups before, and I'm afraid moving four or so different conversations forward is going to be a lot of work. that, and I would like to reap the broader range of experiences. It's not my idea/group, obviously! But is there any chance it would be ok with people to form a temporary or as long as needed private group on a site that can handle a larger group? I've been mostly happy with google groups, for example. If Grinity is happy and I'm a minority here, please ignore and I'll do what I can to keep up with posting...forgive me if participation is low or jagged, M-S folks! I've got a baby who wakes hourly kicking my behind these days.
ps...lily, mine's always flashing, too. I've assumed it's a browser compatibility problem and just ignore the flashing and remember to check once in a while. Are you using Safari?
You might report it to the site administrator. He fixed the always-flashing envelope a while back for most of us. It may be time to do it again...
Thanks for the concern Montana. I'll look into Google Groups. I guess that folks would have to share their emails with me, but that once they become members of the group,that only other members would get to read their posts. While I'm doing research, if folks could respond in their subgroups.
I hope that baby settles a bit soon. I remember that when DS was little, I just figured that instead of 'growth spurts' he had 'brief, respites from wild growth' when things would calm down for a few days. Sort of the mirror image of the discription of growth spruts in behavior.

Sleep well Dears,
Grinity
Posted By: sfb Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/11/09 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Edwin
I'm not flashing, good thing too, I am at work.

ROTFLMAO! laugh smirk I couldn't help it. I had to write in for that.
Can't believe there were no more comments... wink

BTW, interested to hear what develops on this thread too!
Thanks,
SFB
I was able to get the Google Groups Discussion Up and Running. If you want to join and remain anonymous you MUST set up a 'fake email' to use with the Group. If you use Gmail to set up the fake email, you can then have all your messages forwarded to your regular email.

The next step is to report to your subgroup Private messages and follow my link to request Group Membership.

I know families where the Mom does all the Christmas Decoration of the tree after the children are in bed, as part of the suprise, and in that tradition I've been up all morning 'hanging the tinsel' and can't wait to see what beautiful ornaments you bring to the discussion!

Love and More Love
Grinity
posted this to giant pm as well - so far, I can't find the group...
I got to google groups, however nothing for anything like gifted marriage...will it take a while to be available?

Ok, I figured out what I was doing wrong...
Hi Dear Ones,
Just to update everyone...I've got the group 'up' and the link can be found on the 'subgroups' private message. check my most recent post (because I got it wrong the firt time) which may be on page '2' for some of the Subgroups.

I have about 10 of you 'signed in' as members, and will be at my computer to sign in who ever I've recieved email's from this evening.

I'm very pleased and hope you all like it.
Grinity
Posted By: bk1 Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 02/14/09 09:55 PM
Very interested!
Answer to my prayers about "What about me!:)"
Posted By: Wyatt Re: Gifted Marriage: We Keep Growing Forward! - 07/31/09 07:25 PM
Grin -

Will you please add me to this subgroup. Thanks!

Wyatt
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum