Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kriston OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 01:55 AM
This is a purely selfish post having nothing to do with GT kids, but I need to get this out:

We just found my almost 16yo old cat dead in his sleep. I had the cat before I had even met the husband. I was so busy this week that I paid no attention to him. I feel guilty on top of feeling sad.

I'm having painful and expensive oral surgery tomorrow.

The head gasket went out on my van and cost us a bundle yesterday.

The economy is taking its toll on my husband's employer, a consulting firm, and things aren't looking good for his department. There are no jobs out there to consult on, and layoffs loom. The existence of the department is in jeopardy. His job is probably safe--he's a golden boy there, so I honestly think they'll find a place for him somewhere--but with all his people gone, he probably wouldn't want to stay. It's depressing.

It's been a hard week. frown

Just needed to get all that off my chest. Thanks.

I'll probably be absent for a couple of days after tonight due to a drugged out haze. Ugh. Please wish me better days on the other side...
Posted By: minniemarx Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:03 AM
Ach, I'm sorry, Kriston! Troubles never come singly, do they? I hope things will look better soon.

Good luck at the surgeon tomorrow--hope it heals quickly.

minnie
Posted By: Ruby Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:04 AM
Kristen,

My condolences for your loss. And I hope everything works out well with your surgery and your husbands job.

Ruby
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:08 AM
Aaaahhhhh, so sad about kitty. I'm sure he went just like he'd have wanted, independent, no special fuss, curled up in his favorite spot, not sick? Sorry you didn't have notice to say goodbye, though.
Take care after your surgery.
Posted By: Lori H. Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. It might not have anything to do with GT kids, but in a way it does because sensitive GT kids pick up on our stress. Sometimes it helps to talk about it. Good luck with the surgery.
Posted By: Mia Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:40 AM
Aww, Kriston, I'm so sorry. When my rabbit died a few years ago I was distraught -- beloved pets are so important. Big sympathies there.

And also sympathies on everything else. At least the drugged out haze will be put to good use! whistle

laugh
Posted By: S-T Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:53 AM
I am sorry to hear abt your loss. May he RIP.

I am sure your oral surgery will be ok. Wishing u a speedy recovery after that.

For the rest.... {{hugs}}. Hope things will look up soon.
Posted By: oneisenough Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:56 AM
ohhhh I am so sorry about your cat. He must have been a happy cat to live to be 16 year old. I still ahve a picture in my wallet of my childhood cat that died in 2001...pets are most definitely part of the family. So sorry for your loss.

I hope you get some rest before your surgery tomorrow...that's not fun. Hoping for a quick recovery for you.

Sounds like you have had a really tough week with everything else going as well. anything you can do to help relax and take your mind off things for a little while?
Posted By: Jool Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 02:58 AM
Oh Kriston, sorry about the loss of your precious cat. I hope you can use the post-surgery recovery time as an excuse to indulge in some simple pleasures (bath? movies?). I hope next week is better for you.
Posted By: incogneato Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 03:07 AM
Oh Kriston! I am so very sorry about your loss too. It is a loss and sometimes people don't realize that some of us are dearly connected to our beloved pets.

This economy is very unsettling, but there are people hiring. I know because DH was given notice of his lay-off in October. He was fortunate to get a job, but I have to give him his due credit, he worked his butt off to find something.

It's far better to start being aggressive about looking for other options, because you are right, the environment can get very challenging for those left behind after large lay-offs.

The car thing couldn't have come at a worse time, I'm sorry.

Good luck with the surgery. Take care of yourself....and I'm so glad you shared here. Everyone needs support from time to time and I can't think of many as deserving as you, friend. grin
Posted By: skyward Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 03:36 AM
So sorry about your week, and your kitty. frown Next week will be better. Take good care of yourself and do a little pampering. I would suggest chocolate yogurt. Or a kid free bubble bath. (((HUGS))).
Posted By: inky Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:07 AM
I hope you're allowing yourself lots of time and tears. I'm a big believer in bibliotherapy and found reading Dog Heaven by Cynthia Rylant was helpful when my dog died. I saw she's written Cat Heaven too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590100548
I am so pathetic when it comes to my animals and have literally curled up in a ball when my cat was killed (hit and run) on Thanksgiving Day. So I completely understand your pain and not that this lessens the pain, but at least he/she had a full life. Just hang in there and I will keep your family in my prayers hoping the economy doesn't take down another one. I was in the consulting world so I know how hard it can be when the clients make the first cuts their consultants. That is how I found myself without a job back during the Sept. 11 aftermath.

I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow.
Posted By: LMom Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:24 AM
I'm so sorry, Kriston.

I'm sorry about your cat, loosing a friend after such a long time must be truly devastating.

Of course there is never only one thing going wrong frown The economy has everybody worried especially around here. Quite a few of my friends are worried about possible or already planned layoffs. I hope your husband gets to keep his job and hopefully things will work themselves out. In the meantime have some chocolate and wine (my standard remedy). PM If you want to talk more

Good luck tomorrow

Posted By: crisc Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:29 AM
Good luck with the oral surgery tomorrow. Just the thought makes me cringe--I will definitely thinking good thoughts for you.

I am also sorry about your cat. I have never had a pet that long but can only imagine the pain it must cause for the whole family.
Posted By: momx2 Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:30 AM
Sorry about the loss of your cat. Good luck with the surgery.
<<<Hugs>>>
Posted By: Kriston Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by Mia
At least the drugged out haze will be put to good use! whistle

laugh

LOL! Indeed! That's what I've been saying, too. Never a better time for prescription narcotics!

LMom: I chose a blackberry vodka cocktail and caramel corn--since it was my last time to chew for a while--but I was totally working in that frame of mind. laugh

But seriously, thanks everyone. I needed that. I am more open here than I ever am in real life (except with my DH), and I appreciate the friendship and support you're all giving me. Next week I'll be back to normal. But thanks for letting me be overwhelmed in public. It did me a lot of good.

I'm still crying over my poor, dear cat. I do wish I'd had time to say goodbye. But I couldn't wish a more peaceful death on anyone. He died the way I want to go: old and in my sleep. There are worse things.

I feel a lot better. Thanks for caring. smile
Oh Kriston - I'm so sorry about your kitty. And all the other woes as well.
My 19yo kitty died last year, and it's still sad to think of it. (I had to hold her at the vet when she got put to sleep.)

Hope the surgery goes well. It will all be a bit better soon!
Posted By: ebeth Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 04:25 PM
Oh Kriston! Big hugs sent your way!

I'm very sorry to hear about your week. My best friend from high school just lost her 16 year old cat last week as well. She is a graphic designer and was out of town at a show site when it became apparent that the kitty was going downhill fast. She was so distressed that she could not be there to say goodbye to her beloved cat. She even had her husband hold up the phone to her cat, so that Lucky could hear the sound of her voice. So very sad! Just try to focus on what a full and happy life he had. I lost my two ancient cats a few years back, and so I understand the hole in your heart that comes from his absence.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the added troubles that just seem to cluster or magnify with each additional blow. One trouble is enough, when they are on that scale. When multiple troubles begin to happen all at once, I usually take the humorous aspect and wonder what did I do to seriously "P" off someone higher up in the theological food chain. And since 1) I am not a particularly religious person (or I should say that I don't follow a particular organized religion), and 2) I approach life with a bit of a sarcastic streak, I tend to stand in the middle of a room with my hands on my hips and ask some form of Divinity or Fate if there is anything else she would like to throw my way? It may not improve the situation, but at least it makes me feel better!

I sincerely hope that things are on the upswing. May you recover from surgery faster than expected. May your repaired car find new life and continue working with no additional improvements needed. And may your DH find a job, or a position within the company, that he finds rewarding and well-paying!
Sending you extra thoughts of good-will and luck your way!
Posted By: elh0706 Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 06:51 PM
Kriston,
By now you surgery should be over and those drugs should be kicking in!
My sincere condolences on the death of your cat. I certainly hope that things work out smoothly for your husband. Grieving over a death and worrying about jobs is a worthy reason to look for some support from your friends!

Hang in there and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!
Posted By: Tiz Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 07:04 PM
Kriston, so sorry to hear about your cat and the guilt you are feeling, but he was obviously very loved and at least he went peacefully.

As to the rest of your week - it has been hard! Hope the surgery today went well and hopefully things will pick up for you. The drugged out haze might not be too much of a bad thing...

XX
Posted By: Tall boys Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear about kitty and everything else. frown

Sending you my best wishes!!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 10:30 PM
Oh my!
Major hugs and so sorry to hear about kitty! We lost my big dog a few years back and it was so sad, 16 years of faithful, crazy, hairy affection.

Hope you are 'feeling fine' post-surgery~ smile.

Posted By: seablue Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/16/09 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by OHGrandma
Aaaahhhhh, so sad about kitty. I'm sure he went just like he'd have wanted, independent, no special fuss, curled up in his favorite spot, not sick? Sorry you didn't have notice to say goodbye, though.
Take care after your surgery.

My thoughts exactly.

We'll miss you, Kriston. Hope you're back on board soon enough with your insights and wit.
Posted By: Kriston Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/18/09 06:34 PM
I don't know about insights or wit, but I'm back. smile Thanks all. What would I do without this forum?

We buried my poor cat in the snow today. A bit of (dark?) humor: he has always slept stretched out as long as he can be, and that's how he died. Now, he was a LONG cat, and his tail was so long that we used to say he had "a tail of two kitties," har har. wink Naturally, since he died as he lived, my DH had to dig a very long hole to fit him into. That made me smile. He was never a small cat in any way. He had a big, deep purr and a big personality and a big, long body. He needed a big grave, too. Bless him! laugh

DH is spending the weekend writing proposals for jobs, so hopefully there's something on the horizon. Fingers crossed.

My jaw hurts a lot less than I thought it would, so that's good news. Now if only I could eat something that wasn't liquified. frown sick mad

So, anyone have any good recipes for steak in a blender? <smirk>
Posted By: oneisenough Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/18/09 07:25 PM
Kriston...glad you are feeling ok. It must be nice to have te surgery over with! I am so glad you have some nice memories of your dear cat...he sounds like he was full of personality! Hope you can get some relaxation to help with the healing over the next few days...welcome back!
Posted By: Kriston Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/18/09 08:01 PM
Thanks! smile It's good to be back and feeling more upbeat. Last week was just a total bummer of a week. Here's to better days!
Posted By: Kriston Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/18/09 08:34 PM
Thanks, Dottie! It's good to be back. smile
OH Kriston, many many cyberhugs.
Posted By: Kriston Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/20/09 02:31 AM
Thanks, Dazey. smile
Posted By: Tall boys Re: OT--Bummer thread about my bad week - 01/20/09 11:22 PM
I hope this is not too late, but I just remembered it to day.
Linked in
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum