Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: indigo Financially Hobbled for Life (WSJ article) - 07/13/21 02:48 PM
‘Financially Hobbled for Life’: The Elite Master’s Degrees That Don’t Pay Off
By Melissa Korn and Andrea Fuller
July 8, 2021
The Wall Street Journal

Originally Posted by brief excerpts from article
Columbia and other top universities push master’s programs that fail to generate enough income for graduates to keep up with six-figure federal loans
"...always focused on affordability, and an important part of that is, of course, to help prospective students make informed decisions,”
Unlike undergraduate loans, the federal Grad Plus loan program has no fixed limit on how much grad students can borrow—money that can be used for tuition, fees and living expenses.
High Price, Low Return
Columbia has more high-debt master's degree programs in low-paying fields than any other Ivy League university
Highly selective universities have benefited from free-flowing federal loan money, and with demand for spots far exceeding supply, the schools have been able to raise tuition largely unchecked. The power of legacy branding lets prestigious universities say, in effect, that their degrees are worth whatever they charge.

“Students gravitate to Columbia because Columbia’s Columbia, right?”

Many college-bound students may benefit from looking at the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH),
link - https://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Other important college prep for decision making may include information on personal finance, budgeting, and the time value of money. Keeping "living expenses" in check may involve value judgments in identifying and prioritizing NEEDS versus WANTS.
Posted By: Wren Re: Financially Hobbled for Life (WSJ article) - 07/14/21 12:56 AM
My daughter was told not to do a masters but go straight to a PhD. That doing a masters was a waste of time. I have no idea, way too long since I went to school.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum