Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: madeinuk No this was not in The Onion - 10/25/18 01:00 PM
Unbelievable how the academic quality and rigour of a program is less and less important at a university.

Concierge services
Posted By: mckinley Re: No this was not in The Onion - 10/25/18 02:40 PM
I assume you're referring to one of these articles?

Since the example program is provided by an outside contractor (a rather ubiquitous one) how do you think it affects academics? The program isn't paid for with university funds, so that can't be it.

I can see the rage over lazy rivers. (I'm anti-pool. No one needs that much water. wink ) But this seems to be helping students deal with issues that would otherwise detract from time spent learning.
Posted By: mecreature Re: No this was not in The Onion - 10/25/18 06:59 PM
I wonder if you can use your 529 money?
Posted By: mckinley Re: No this was not in The Onion - 10/25/18 08:11 PM
Probably depends on how creative the student's financial planner is.

Since it's a Sodexo program using it might just be covered under the umbrella of room and board. Or it's just another service covered by tuition and fees, like computer labs or tutoring.
Posted By: indigo Re: No this was not in The Onion - 10/26/18 01:25 PM
In a world of college concierge services and financial planners, how will students learn basic DIY skills, and to embrace the variety of tasks they'll likely face as independent young adults? No one else can exercise your Do-It-Yourself (DIY) skills for you.

One article equates students seeking "the full college experience" with students seeking amenities.

Creating this level of convenience may result in removing many varied learning opportunities. The college experience may then generate a lack of self-reliance rather than the college experience generating "internal locus of control" and a strong can-do attitude and approach to life.
Posted By: mckinley Re: No this was not in The Onion - 10/26/18 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by indigo
... how will students learn basic DIY skills ... ?

Maybe the parents will take care of that? wink

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum