Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: 23pret help focusing in class - 10/23/18 11:57 AM
Hi - My daughter is in gifted program. I got a complaint from teacher that she is not focusing class, easily gets distracted, sometimes answers questions that is not relevant. So far she does not have any symptoms of ADHD. We are going to evaluate again. Any suggestions how to deal with this one? I will be meeting her teacher in next few to discuss. Also, does any one know of any program or resources that will help with focusing in the classroom?
Posted By: mckinley Re: help focusing in class - 10/23/18 07:37 PM
I'd suggest that the classroom environment and your daughter's spot in it should be analyzed. What's causing the distraction? A window? A hallway? Those colorful displays teachers are always putting up?

Are the questions irrelevant or just stumpers? I used to play stump the teacher, it's sort of a way to safely act out when there's nothing interesting happening, but it can also be an indication that this a subject the student actually wants to think deeply about. If a teacher doesn't know the answers, they can at least learn strategies for redirecting that energy.

Is this a situation where your daughter has only one classroom, or is this multiple classrooms and only one teacher reporting issues?
Posted By: puffin Re: help focusing in class - 10/24/18 08:18 AM
I would assume the fault lay with the class set up and work from there. It is a gifted class it should be challenging enough that she doesn't need the coping strategy of thinking about something else with half he mind. Unless it is an engrained habit.
Posted By: stemfun Re: help focusing in class - 10/24/18 01:23 PM
Does your daughter agree that she is distracted in class? If so you can ask her what she finds distracting.

Some kids are easily distracted by other children. In the earlier grades I had to request that the teacher change my son's seat a few times because he complained that a child whose behavior he found distracting was seated next to him in class. Now he is older and free to sit where he wants in class.

You could ask the teacher to have her sit in the front of the class, if your daughter will be okay with that and see if that helps.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum