Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Shea Considering Davidson Academy - have questions - 01/03/18 03:04 PM
2 of our kids (13 & 14) have ACT scores well-qualifying them for DA and we are considering applying this week (applications due Jan 15, I know) and then uprooting the whole family from the midwest if they are accepted (ds14 is a YS and we considered DA for him but now that there are 2 kids who qualify and are bored in school we feel double incentive to really consider this). Is there another forum online specifically for the families that are already there? I have so many questions still.

surprisingly my main concern is their lack of sports - the best part about putting my kids in public school was the opportunity to participate in sports, where they have found social and physical growth and improved self-confidence from their successes. I want to know if any DA kids have been welcomed by local high school teams - not just permitted to play, but actually welcomed. DA also doesn't seem to offer art, choir, wood-working, or the other electives that make school life tolerable for my kids. Either we stay put here and supplement academically, or we go to DA and supplement with non-core activities that are just as important to their development...
Hi Shea,

Suggest you send an email around on the email list for young scholars. There are bound to be DA parents on that list.

My understanding of the DA (toured it once) is that students can enroll in any classes at the university, which means that they should be able to take art classes and PE. Have you looked at their web pages? Here's one: http://www.davidsonacademy.unr.edu/Academics/Curriculum/Courses

You could also just call the school and ask.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum