Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ocelot Share your developmental asynchrony stories - 06/28/17 01:48 AM
I was inspired to start this (hopefully fun) thread by the following moment:

DS5, in bedtime procrastination mode, is arranging a belt and scrunched up paper on his head while making scary noises and faces in the mirror. He pauses to look at me and ask,"How do you like my accoutrements?" It was just an adorably asynchronous moment, with sophisticated words coming out of the procrastinating belt/paper monster.

For all the times asynchrony is frustrating, I think it is also worth celebrating the endearing moments too. 😊
I still want to LOL at the moment DS, then 2, was in the middle of completing a puzzle for four year olds, then, grinning at me, took a piece in his mouth and bit it in two before I could stop him.
I guess I'll chime in. I have a video of DS just after he turned 2 stating the names of each state as he put them into his puzzle board... While pooping in his diaper :p I always thought, how can he know all of his states and be able to do a puzzle meant for much older kids but not get using the toilet? Not to mention the fact that he could read before fully completing potty training. Very frustrating!
LOL, your child was multi-tasking! Who could leave an interesting puzzle to make a mundane trip to the bathroom? wink
Posted By: chay Re: Share your developmental asynchrony stories - 06/28/17 04:51 PM
smile

The pile of books on both of my kids' bedside tables comes to mind.

Today for DS10 -
- An old University Physics textbook, Arthur C. Clarke 2001 A Space Odyssey, some Asimov, Maze Runner, some Star Wars novels and then Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

DD8
- Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I am Malala

A couple years ago and DS would read LOTR one night and then Captain Underpants the next depending on his mood.
Originally Posted by chay
smile

The pile of books on both of my kids' bedside tables comes to mind.

Today for DS10 -
- An old University Physics textbook, Arthur C. Clarke 2001 A Space Odyssey, some Asimov, Maze Runner, some Star Wars novels and then Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

DD8
- Harry Potter, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and I am Malala

A couple years ago and DS would read LOTR one night and then Captain Underpants the next depending on his mood.

Add Dilbert (older kid) and Animals of Madagasscar (younger kid) and you are living in my house!
Up until we had our DD tested we thought she was an NT child with behavioral issues which was why we tested her.

Until we got the test results I honestly thought that the recommended age printed on puzzle and toy boxes was inflated a few years just to make parents think their child was clever LOL

I also remember her at 8/9 going through her weekly AOPS pre-algebra challenge problems like a hot knife through butter and then sitting down to enjoy watching Space Buddies totally absorbed and relishing every minute! If that wasn't a prime example of asynchrony then what is?

Originally Posted by madeinuk
Until we got the test results I honestly thought that the recommended age printed on puzzle and toy boxes was inflated a few years just to make parents think their child was clever LOL

I have this vivid memory of a friend looking at the 4-6 puzzle I had given her 2yr old for the birthday and saying "Thanks" while her face said "WTF?!". I too thought the puzzles and lego were just all labelled wrong. Those were the puzzles my 2yr olds liked so that is what I gave as gifts. Call me clueless.
It always seems bizarre to me that when I look back on DS's developmental milestones, weaning and reading happened within months of each other. Reading also preceded potty training at our house.
Originally Posted by MsFriz
It always seems bizarre to me that when I look back on DS's developmental milestones, weaning and reading happened within months of each other. Reading also preceded potty training at our house.

Both of my boys didn't potty train until 4 and 1/2 much to my dismay. One learned to read at 5 and one before potty training but not much at 4.
I can recall any number of surreal conversations with my then toddler/preschooler.

My work colleagues commented on it, even--

"While I'm across the room, working in the hood, I just-- well, I forget that I'm not talking to another adult...." (This said apologetically in case the speaker had said anything "inappropriate/confusing" to my DD. Who was three.)

At the time, she often sat and read or played a hand-held CookieMonster video game while seated at my desk area in her pack-and-play. While these conversations were apparently otherwise much more engrossing to her.

Several other weird asynchronous things that I recall and only later realized just how weird they were (and how unusual, relative to norms of all kinds, that is--

1. DD often sat in the car and read-- in fact, BEGGED to do this instead of being carted around in a shopping cart in a store. We indulged her in weather conducible to it (so not too cold, not too hot, and yes, we were extremely conservative on what that meant, and also on what kinds of areas were 'safe enough' and, and, and-- trust me, relative risk here was VERY low). On the other hand, she related the story of the nosy older woman in the Home Depot parking lot who wouldn't leave her alone, tried to enlist other bystanders (while Dad was in getting a couple of bolts)... was concerned for her... until she conspicuously lifted up her book, in that universal sign for "go away, I am READING..." and what she was reading was... a Michael Crichton novel. She was six at the time, but physically looked more like 4.

2. Arguing with my then 2.5yo about how much work she was making for me by REFUSING to transition out of diapers, and that frankly, she could do this, and therefore, she bloody well needed to, in light of the rest of her package of special needs. Yes, I realize that this was unfair with a typical child, and also-- what those other special needs constituted at the time bears some emphasis here. No, I didn't put it in quite those terms, but-- the point is that in less than two weeks, she made the transition fully, and had maybe... four? wetting accidents ever again. She was in fact being stubborn, and frankly, she enjoyed having me wait on her. LOL.

3. Offering small toys (Littlest Pet Shop??) as an inducement to do her best on the PSAT. As a way of talking her into taking it seriously, since she was skipping her (following) sophomore year of high school and would be a junior the following fall. She was 12.

4. DD was never physically able to carry her own weekly library book bag. Not until she was old enough to drive there herself, and by that time she was in college. (I also once subluxated an elbow lifting it out of the car, myself.. though to be fair, I likely have a connective tissue disorder that makes it more likely).

5. Having a seemingly able-bodied child discussing the physics of rides at a theme park when still not tall enough to ride on most of them.

6. I actually said to my 9yo;

"If you will actually finish your algebra problems, and turn them in to Mr. {Teacher} before dad gets home, not only can you make clothes* for all of your Care Bears, but I'll even let you use the scrapbooking scissors and the tape, and you can do it in the living room!"
*paper... what was it with the elaborate paper-paper-paper constructions????

7. I'd prefer to leave this one largely unremarked, and it's fairly disturbing, but...

when reporting a crime to her university, she knew better than any of them who was a mandatory reporter, and what the precise limits of confidentiality would (and could) be-- she gently corrected both her parents and several of those employees at various points in the process. She was not yet 16-- and she knew that she was surrounded by mandatory reporters, both in her life as a student, but also friends, parents, and people she volunteered with. She had weighed the costs, outcome, and benefits of that mandatory reporting so thoroughly that even the (very, very good) attorney that we hired had little to offer her in the way of "advice" so much as being a heavy hitter that others were more afraid of, particularly on letterhead or in meetings.

Also the case that she has gently reminded various offices when they are at risk of being "non-compliant" with federal disability law a few times, as a student. Or sucked it up with a professor who is flouting the law, weighing the cost of forcing them versus alienating someone in her department. She is only now just 18.

At the same time, this is the (16-17yo) girl who was throwing a fit over clothes that were "itchy" and forgetting to turn in assignments because she just "forgot" to check on things. And was too intimidated to 'talk' to a professor in his office.

VERY asynchronous.

8. As a toddler, DD adored cooking shows. And Martha Stewart. (Which is hilarious beyond words, if you know me. Or her, either, as a young adult-- she is flatly incompetent in the kitchen.) Anyway-- at the time, she was very severely allergic to eggs, and I can recall her watching with rapt attention, then suddenly pulling her fingers out of her mouth, and standing up out of her tiny child-sized rocker to shout at Emeril Legasse on TV;

"No! Emeril! DON'T DO IT!!" whenever he prepared to crack a couple of eggs into whatever it was he was making. She was SO upset by him using eggs.

Loving these posts. Potty training seems a common theme so I will add to it. I was changing Dd's (3yo at the time) diapers when she asked," mom, is 3 times 2 6?". Surprised I asked her how she knew. She pointed to the cabinets and said," there are 3 cabinets with 2 doors each for a total of 6." It took her a year and half after that to get potty trained. Now at nearly 8, she blows our minds often with her ideas but still sucks her thumb. Her pediatrician actually said sucking thumb is a sign of her highly creative mind. Huh?
The babysitter took my 18 month old to the post office. She created quite a stir when she began to speak-not only about the line, but about how people must be feeling when they waited in such a long line, what a waste of time it was, where did all the mail go, etc. When we look at old videos, it is a bit scary to see the verbal fluency. It was our reality but both kids were carrying on full conversations by a year old and thinking deep thoughts before two. They still are big talkers.
Posted By: chay Re: Share your developmental asynchrony stories - 07/04/17 02:05 PM
We had the other end of the PT experience. One morning when DD was just under 19 months old she announced one morning that she was done with diapers. She had zero accidents that morning (bizarre!!!) so we ventured out to the park and when we got home I was distracted unloading stuff from the stroller and then came in to find her sitting on the potty but her pants were still on and rather wet. It was the only accident that day. We convinced her to wear diapers at night for a few days but since she was dry every morning that ended quickly. It was quite surreal.
OK, I'm new here, but I think I have a pretty good asynchrony story for this thread: When DS was 3, we were getting concerned that he was still using a pacifier at sleep times. One evening, I explained that everyone gives up their pacifier eventually and asked when he thought he might be ready to give up his. He thought seriously for a minute, then said, "When I turn three and a half."

He was excited about turning 3 1/2 and asked us to show him on the calendar when this would occur. Fast forward a couple weeks later (with no intervening mentions of pacifiers): On the morning of his 3.5 birthday, he came downstairs and announced, "Today is October XX (supressed for privacy). I am three and a half today. Please put my pacis in the trash." And that was the end of the pacifiers.

He set a goal for himself, kept track of the date independently using his calendar skills, and then enforced it. Very asynchronous that the "goal" happened to be giving up pacifiers!
Posted By: Kish Re: Share your developmental asynchrony stories - 07/20/17 06:00 PM
DD is 3Y9M and a couple of weeks ago I took her to our local Science Center where they had the Seasonal exhibit of Dinosaur Fossil Excavation.

She was there, sitting crisscross in the sand pit, under the sweltering summer heat (it was 85+ F that day) and carefully brushing away the sand over one of the buried fossils. A helpful volunteer saw the deeply engrossed little one and started talking Dinosaurs with her.

Volunteer: ...and over there, we have Maiasaura
DD: Um.. I like Maiasaura. Do you have Heterodontosaurus fossils?
Volunteer: Er, what? No.
DD: I want to see a Micropachycephalosaurus.
Volunteer: Er, we don't have that either. What other Dinosaurs do you know?
DD: Argentinosaurus, Futalognkosaurus and Brachiosaurus are all long saurus.

About 10 mins after that conversation happened, she took a handful of sand, came up to me smiling, dropped it into my pocket and started laughing out loud.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum