Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Tor'sMama Do I need supplemental evidence for DYS? - 04/25/17 11:01 PM
Hello!

I am getting ready to apply for DYS. I don't feel like my son's Explore ACT test scores are that amazing. I know he messed up his top subject (science) due to leaving half the test unfinished due to a bathroom emergency. His Explore scores are as follows:

Third Grade
Composite: 19
English: 23
Math: 15
Reading: 22
Science: 17

DYS requires three out of the 5 scores to meet or exceed:
Composite: 17
English: 19
Math: 16
Reading: 18
Science: 18

So while he qualifies, it seems like it's not by that much. I am having a hard time coming up with ideas for "extra evidence". He is nine years old and halfway through high school Geometry. He is in either grade science. He reads on an upper high school level (at least). He can think conceptually far beyond his years. He verbal vocabulary is significant. Etc. But most of his work is done either on the computer or in his head. Do I really NEED supplemental evidence?

Thanks!!
You don't need extra evidence. Don't overthink it. Fill out the forms, and you can mention the issue with the science score being an underrepresentation of his ability as part of the application if you want.
I went through the process a few months ago and found no evidence of a child ever being turned down that had met the testing criteria. I think the supplemental evidence is for a child that may fall just short of the hard cut-offs, with a possibility of being admitted as an exception due to extenuating circumstances. I didn't add anything to my DD's application and she was accepted.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum