Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Bostonian working hours - 03/30/17 06:28 PM
I thought this article was interesting. I will point out that a productive mathematician who is "only" spending 6 hours a day at the office may still be thinking about math in the background for several more hours a day.

Darwin Was a Slacker and You Should Be Too
BY ALEX SOOJUNG-KIM PANG
Nautilus
MARCH 30, 2017

When you examine the lives of history’s most creative figures, you are immediately confronted with a paradox: They organize their lives around their work, but not their days.

Figures as different as Charles Dickens, Henri Poincaré, and Ingmar Bergman, working in disparate fields in different times, all shared a passion for their work, a terrific ambition to succeed, and an almost superhuman capacity to focus. Yet when you look closely at their daily lives, they only spent a few hours a day doing what we would recognize as their most important work. The rest of the time, they were hiking mountains, taking naps, going on walks with friends, or just sitting and thinking. Their creativity and productivity, in other words, were not the result of endless hours of toil. Their towering creative achievements result from modest “working” hours.
Posted By: indigo Re: working hours - 03/30/17 06:33 PM
Intriguing! smile

This reminds me of the idea of investing in ones' self, or "sharpening the saw", as expressed in Stephen R. Covey's book
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: working hours - 03/30/17 07:17 PM
A book on this topic some may appreciate is "Deep Work" by Cal Newport. Good insights on the power of focused work combined with lower key time.
Posted By: Val Re: working hours - 03/30/17 10:52 PM
Great! Now if someone could only convince the universities that treating researchers like widget makers is not the best strategy for promoting scientific discoveries.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum