Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: KJP Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 03:59 AM
Do you think some people are naturally geared towards one and not the other? Just curious because I have some family members who struggled with all maths but geometry.

We also have dyslexia running in the family and I'm wondering if they're related.

I was equally so so in all math subjects so I'm not sure.
Posted By: puffin Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 04:22 AM
Most people seem to have a preference.
Posted By: NotSoGifted Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 10:43 AM
Interesting question. My eldest and some other folks I know did just fine in math except for geometry. The teacher was clearly part of the issue with my eldest, but I think that a proof heavy geometry class is very different from other math courses. Dealing with proofs is mathematics, while a lot of the other courses are arithmetic. People can be good at arithmetic but not math (and the converse can be true).
Posted By: indigo Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 11:41 AM
I enjoyed geometry. Algebra not so much.
Posted By: SaturnFan Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 12:08 PM
I am not a math person and I never liked algebra much at all. All the big problems were like a miserable wall of mini-calculations and were so much work for me. I loved geometry and did very well at it. Everything made sense and there wasn't a whole lot of calculating to do. I also loved chemistry classes even though there was a lot of math. It made more sense and was more about knowing how and why formulas work than solving a wall of needlessly difficult math problems. I also still count on my fingers to add and subtract and have to skip count to remember much of the multiplication table, so math has always been really hard work for me. DS seems to be great at all areas of math, but at 6 he hasn't done much algebra yet. His dad is also equally happy with pretty much anything math related, when I asked him he couldn't really choose between algebra and geometry.
Posted By: Thomas Percy Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 12:55 PM
I am pretty good at math in general but was not so good at 3 dimensional geometry. I am sure I have some kind of a deficit in visual spatial thinking. I was very bad at mechanical drawing as well, just could not relate what is on paper to what the mechanical parts look like in real life at all.
Posted By: ajinlove Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 01:32 PM
Does visual spatial ability have anything to do with doing well in geometry? Just curious to know.
Posted By: Lepa Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 02:44 PM
Put me in the geometry column. It was a great fit for the way I think and the first time I felt really confident in a math class.
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 03:37 PM
I really enjoyed geometry (high school class). I did not enjoy high school algebra. I suspect that it was the first time math was a bit difficult for me, and think I got off on the wrong foot there, etc. etc.

Ironically, I do use some algebra (work and home problem solving) and don't mind it now. I also enjoyed calculus; but I took it as an adult and specifically as a "business" calculus class. That made it very relevant.
Posted By: polarbear Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/08/16 03:49 PM
The replies here have been interesting to me.. I enjoyed all the different types of math I studied, and have used algebra/geometry/calculus and beyond in my career. I've also tutored math for many years (high school and college students) and it's been my experience that there is widespread geometry-phobia, even among high school math teachers smile

I also think that while it's probable that visual spatial thinkers may have a natural predilection to like geometry over algebra, it's also quite possible for non visual spatial folks (people like me lol!) to be able to easily understand and like geometry.

polarbear
Posted By: Ocelot Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/09/16 01:41 AM
I was fine at geometry but it was not an intuitive way of thinking for me, whereas algebra just seemed very natural and enjoyable. I am not a visual-special thinker. Also, I am a strong mathematical thinker who is just adequate at basic calculations.
Posted By: aeh Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/09/16 01:58 AM
I am not particularly visual spatial. (Just ask anyone who has been a passenger in a car driven by me!) The logical part of geometry did appeal to me, though, and I didn't find the spatial aspect of it any more difficult than algebra. Although I have a STEM background, and would be considered good at math by everyday standards, I don't consider myself especially math-y.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/13/16 04:51 PM
I'm terrible at visual-spatial things, but did better in geometry than algebra. It may have been the teacher.

DD is visual-spatial, and so far, she sails through geometry and is struggling somewhat with algebra.
Posted By: hermione Re: Geometry v. Algebra - 09/28/16 01:46 PM
I am extremely visual spatial and did great in geometry, but struggled initially in algebra. Ultimately, it did not hold me back as I got an engineering degree and masters in econometrics.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum