Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ametrine Counting the Number of Letters - 11/16/15 02:59 AM
Regarding spelling, does your child see a word in terms of how many letters it contains in order to help them to account for each?

Our son spells well two years ahead of his grade level, and I have noticed he will sometimes say something like, "Okay, that's an eleven letter word..."; and then spell it out correctly.

I asked him if he sees words in terms of how many letters it contains and he said that if it's a hard word, he does.

DS is two years ahead of his grade in math and I was wondering if this is typical of "mathy" kids to help them in subjects other than math.

Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/16/15 03:02 AM
I do for shorter words, but not for something as long as eleven letters.
Posted By: Thomas Percy Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/16/15 02:40 PM
I did myself. But I was a English learner, not a native speaker.
Posted By: azucena Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/16/15 04:15 PM
Yes, I think of words that way, and also in terms of patterns of vowels and consonants.
Posted By: ashley Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/16/15 04:53 PM
I don't count numbers - but, I used to group letters inside a word into groups of 3 and memorize the spelling - I am very "mathy" and imagine of a lot of data as number patterns, graphs etc in order to visualize or remember them better.
Posted By: SLO Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/17/15 12:07 AM
(Now) DS5 started talking about how many letters words have before he even started writing at 3. I think, perhaps, it’s the lens through which some “mathy” kids process the world.
Posted By: ConnectingDots Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/17/15 03:41 AM
I used to do this as I fell asleep at night -- count the letters in words that came to mind. Not to help with spelling, but just, I think, from an interest in words standpoint.

Had forgotten all about that... I would count them on my fingers. This was probably around ages 8-12.

Would not say I am a "mathy" person, but I am a pattern recognition person.
Posted By: stemfun Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/17/15 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
Not to help with spelling, but just, I think, from an interest in words standpoint.
That's the first thought that came to my mind, that he is demonstrating an interest in words.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Counting the Number of Letters - 11/17/15 12:58 PM
I wonder whether he started doing this as a private challenge to himself out of boredom/lack of challenge in whatever it was that he was given. And that now he has developed a degree of automaticity with this where it is almost a reflex.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum