Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ebeth DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/12/08 06:17 PM
Hi Everyone.

We have some good news to share. DS8 was accepted to the Davidson Young Scholars program this month. Yipppee! I'm not sure what exactly this will mean for us, but I'm excited to find out. grin
Posted By: lanfan Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 06:19 PM
Good for you and especially for DS!
Posted By: Mia Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 06:37 PM
Awesome! Congratulations to you and ds!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 07:25 PM
Yay! Congrats! That's wonderful news for you and your ds.
Posted By: ebeth Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

And yes Dottie, you deserve a pat on the back. You were indeed correct. It is interesting in that I somehow expected all of the gifted denial to go away if DS was accepted. But no... nothing has really changed! I still have a whooping good case of it.

We have had such a topsy-turvy week! First, DS was accepted to DYS. Then we had a frustrating meeting with the school in which they said that DS was just average in math and should stay in 4th grade without a subject acceleration. <even with his extremely high WJ III scores>. He keeps missing points on tests because he is trying to do something much harder than what the simple question is asking! It is still a struggle to not doubt your child's abilities when the school can't see it.

Posted By: incogneato Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 07:47 PM
Well I hope you get some assistance in that department for sure!

Yippee, Ebeth's DS!

Congrats!

-Neato
Posted By: Cathy A Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 09:01 PM
Congrats to your DS! Maybe this will help the school seem him in a different light.
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 09:05 PM
Yay! smile

Feel free to ask your family consultant to write a letter or call the school for you. Time to bring in the big guns...
Posted By: KAR120C Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 09:08 PM
Yay!!
Posted By: doodlebug Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/12/08 09:21 PM
Congrats on the wonderful news!! And I'm sure that you can now use your family advocate to help you with the school issue. Somehow I think that having that DI team behind you will certainly help.
Best wishes.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/12/08 09:21 PM
CONGRATS to your family ebeth!!!
Posted By: ienjoysoup Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/12/08 09:22 PM
YAH- WHOOOOOOOOO!

So happy for you!
Posted By: questions Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/12/08 09:40 PM
Wonderful news! Congratulations!!
Posted By: Austin Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 10:55 PM
Congratulations. Now that you have caught the bus!!!
Posted By: Barbara Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 11:39 PM
congratulations!
Posted By: Ruby Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/12/08 11:54 PM
Congratulations to you and your son!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/13/08 12:01 AM
Very nice! smile
Posted By: ebeth Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/13/08 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone. grin I love the sound of having a family advocate or an educational consultant. Can anyone explain what it is that they actually do for you? I know that every time that we mention the DYS program to the school, the principle visibly bristles at the notion. I think she feels very intimidated or threatened by it. I'm not sure how receptive she would be to having an educational consultant make suggestions on how she should manage her school. frown
Posted By: Kriston Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/13/08 01:05 AM
Does the principal know anything about DYS? Or is this just a fearful, knee-jerk reaction?

The advocate is just that: an advocate for your child's best interests. S/He's a neutral voice to support you and your child. S/He's someone NOT paid for by you, yet who is standing up for your child to say, "Hey, this kid has special needs. No, really, you can't blow this off."

Your advocate won't tell the principal how to manage the school any more than you are. It's about getting your child served, period.
Posted By: Jool Re: DYS Acceptance!!! - 11/13/08 01:59 AM
Congrats e-beth and DS! laugh
Your family consultant can provide suggestions to the school/teacher about how to challenge him (e.g., online learning) and educate the school about the needs of PG kids (of course, the school has to be willing to accept suggestions...)
Posted By: S-T Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/13/08 08:01 AM
Congrats!!!

What a great piece of news to read abt (since I hv not logged in for awhile! smile )
Posted By: LMom Re: DYS Acceptance!!! :grin: - 11/13/08 10:23 PM
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by ebeth
We have had such a topsy-turvy week! First, DS was accepted to DYS. Then we had a frustrating meeting with the school in which they said that DS was just average in math and should stay in 4th grade without a subject acceleration. <even with his extremely high WJ III scores>. He keeps missing points on tests because he is trying to do something much harder than what the simple question is asking! It is still a struggle to not doubt your child's abilities when the school can't see it.

DS6 is the same way. He answers correctly his own questions. I believe that happens even more when the questions are way too easy.

Good luck with the school.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum