Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: keet Word Masters? - 11/11/08 01:22 AM
Does anybody know about Word Masters Challenge? My ds's school does this, and he's very stressed about the whole thing. I don't understand what it's all about. His class is using it in place of spelling (they were doing Words Their Way up until this point). Is that a reasonable substitution?
Thanks.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Word Masters? - 11/11/08 10:52 PM
Since no one has posted to this I will try, but what I am posting you probably did the research yourself and is redundant.

I looked up the WordMasters Challenge and there is a website:
http://www.wordmasterschallenge.com/elem.htm

Though they give examples they do not go into detail about the rules and how the class prepares for it.

In my opinion it is much better process than spelling bees since the "competition (supposively) addresses higher-level word-comprehension and logical abilities and helps students learn to think both analytically and metaphorically." There is suppose to be two levels per grade: l. average students and 2. gifted/talented students.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: keet Re: Word Masters? - 11/12/08 08:47 PM
Thanks for your reply. I guess it's not something that a lot of places do. It actually sounds a lot more interesting than memorizing the spelling of a bunch of words.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum