Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mombot Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/14/15 03:17 PM
Can anyone recommend some books that are short in length, but are at a book level of 7.0 or higher. One book that I've come up with is The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Any others?
How about Asterix?
Posted By: indigo Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/15/15 02:20 PM
What age of child do you have in mind, reading at this level? Are there particular interests or genre you'd like to focus on (or exclude)?
Posted By: suevv Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/15/15 05:19 PM
I don't know how short you mean, but here are some I think of as shorter.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
And Then There Were None (or any Agatha Christie)
Sherlock Holmes compilations
Pride and Prejudice (gateway to Jane!)
To Kill a Mockingbird
Little House books (Laura Ingalls Wilder)
Animal Farm or 1984
Fahrenheit 451
Alex Rider series (sometimes a little violent)
39 Clues series
Posted By: Cookie Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/15/15 05:48 PM
The red pony?
Posted By: Cookie Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/15/15 05:49 PM
Little house are about fifth grade level but are good.
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Any Terry Pratchett book
Posted By: Mombot Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/16/15 02:41 AM
Oh sorry - she is 10 going into 6th grade. Gets tired easily of reading longer chapter books so I'm thinking that the shorter the book, the more success she might feel if she finishes it. She needs those AR points!

She's not that much of an advanced reader, but I feel she's stronger than what she has shown on school testing. She's really not too much into fantasy, though.
Posted By: indigo Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/16/15 02:51 AM
Did you also see the sticky thread in the Recommended Resources forum, Book recommendations: age 9-12
The Midwife's Apprentice? Looks like it's recommended for grades 6-9.
Here's a list of book favorites for 7th grade classrooms. You could click on the titles to see the page counts.

http://www.booksource.com/Products/...brary--50-Favorites__SL7-FAV-spc-15.aspx
Posted By: Cookie Re: Short book/advanced middle school level? - 07/16/15 05:43 PM
Google: AR book finder

There you find a tool where under advanced search you can search interest and book level...ar points will kind of show longer books (higher the points, higher the pages) but you can click on the book to see word and page counts too.

You can filter fiction, non fiction and a bunch of other filters too. They do give pretty good descriptions and some warnings about content (teen fiction for ten year olds is always tricky...I have a ten year old sixth grader too). The classics are what I am pushing...he has read all of Sherlock Holmes, some Jules Verne, etc.
Animal Farm by Orwell.

My son read this in 5th grade for a similar reason. It is a very good book, short and enjoyable for this age. The downside was he had to re-read in in 7th grade as one of their literature novels.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum