Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: mom2one Common core -- Pearson out, Questar in - 07/13/15 03:50 AM
I was wondering if Questar was better than Pearson, and if this applies to all the states who have adopted Common Core

http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Pearson-is-out-Questar-is-in-for-N-Y-Common-6376810.php
Posted By: indigo Re: Common core -- Pearson out, Questar in - 07/13/15 05:05 AM
This article may answer your questions, to a degree:
Most U.S. Students Won't Be Taking PARCC or Smarter Balanced Tests
by Catherine Gewertz
Education Week
June 6, 2014
Posted By: mom2one Re: Common core -- Pearson out, Questar in - 07/13/15 04:22 PM
Thanks. That link was pretty informative.
I think 42 percent is still a pretty high percentage of kids taking either the PARCC or the SBAC, so that title is a bit misleading smile.

I go back and forth between having my kid opt out of the SBAC testing altogether. However, with all the "fanfare" (special breakfasts etc) that goes on with testing at the school, I worry that he may feel left out.
Posted By: indigo Re: Common core -- Pearson out, Questar in - 07/13/15 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by mom2one
I think 42 percent is still a pretty high percentage of kids taking either the PARCC or the SBAC, so that title is a bit misleading smile.
Understood. Titles are meant to attract attention so that one might read the article (or book, etc).

That said, this particular title is actually quite accurate, as "most" is a majority, more than 50%; If 42% are taking PARCC or Smarter Balanced Assessments, then 58% are not... IOW most are not.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum