Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Apparently it's revolutionary and has almost no repetition. It's designed to help kids access their permanent memory centres. So you take child for assessment (free). They suggest placement in modular program. They teach parent how to do it at home and you pay a once off modular fee (meaning a family can use the same module over and over for each child at no extra cost). According to them, they can teach an average child the times tables in 10 minutes per day in 3 weeks so such a degree that they never forget it and know it totally well, backwards, forwards inside out etc.

They don't mind kids skipping around in modules - so my child could easily do the Algebra module without doing division module for example.

They also cover geometry, trigonometry, bonds for younger kids and a bunch of others.

So I am wondering why I have never heard of this before, and if it's worth looking into. The cost is totally inexpensive in my mind for the times tables thing and that is something that both my mathy kids need right now - they are floating along learning them slowly but it's causing frustration for Aiden (7) in his Soroban abacus program currently as well as for his other stuff he keeps wanting to do.

I know that this is usually the best motivation for HG+ kids to learn the times tables - my question to you, would you go for the assessments and get the program and try it? (both boys are keen in fact saying they will do it as we travel for three weeks in March around our country (road trip) and surprise everyone by knowing their times tables when we get back)

I'm thinking it's worth a shot...
It sounds interesting. Is this program strictly local? Do you have the name of the program/method? Maybe a website?
I dunno. Honestly, the terms

revolutionary
access permanent memory centres
no repetition
never forget
free assessment
purchase modules

Kind of make me wonder what METHOD they are promoting.

Hypnosis??

Because that is (seriously) about the only thing that I can think of that would truly work that way.

If it needs no repetition, then where's the value in being able to repeat modules over and over?

I'm thinking the marketing department for this product is superior to their curriculum development department, because they're marketing something the company hasn't actually developed.
I am skeptical. It sounds too good to be true.
is it mathnasium?
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I dunno. Honestly, the terms

revolutionary
access permanent memory centres
no repetition
never forget
free assessment
purchase modules

Kind of make me wonder what METHOD they are promoting.

Hypnosis??

Because that is (seriously) about the only thing that I can think of that would truly work that way.

That was my exact thought process as I stood there and listened to this guy wax lyrical while his associate stood dumbfounded while having a conversation with my 3 and 5 year olds (who were standing in the shopping cart at the time)

He wanted to rush off and get the founder/developer of this program to come meet my kids but I was not in the mood for monkey ogling.

Originally Posted by Dude
If it needs no repetition, then where's the value in being able to repeat modules over and over?

I'm thinking the marketing department for this product is superior to their curriculum development department, because they're marketing something the company hasn't actually developed.
No you can use the modules again for younger siblings - so I pay once and use it for the younger kids too!
I just found the site (have not looked at it myself just yet)
http://www.k2u.co.za/home/

The program is called (ta-dah) K2U Learning systems. Something in the brochure about him developing science stuff next.
The website is wordy (in very bad language) and has no information on the higher level maths at all! how annoying.

I am put off just by the website now - urgh!
There is a popular program that uses mnemonics for times tables and I have it and have used it. My DS likes it because it is a fun way to remember times tables.
It is called Times Tales and I was recommended that program on another forum. Link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Times-Tales-Tables-Made-Easy/dp/0976202441
Hope this helps!
I'm immediately skeptical of the advertising claims but that's just me. I'd be more interested in looking into it if someone I'd known in real life had actually used the program and felt it was beneficial.

Originally Posted by Madoosa
The cost is totally inexpensive in my mind for the times tables thing and that is something that both my mathy kids need right now - they are floating along learning them slowly but it's causing frustration for Aiden (7) in his Soroban abacus program currently as well as for his other stuff he keeps wanting to do.

How is Aiden's math facts knowledge frustrating him? Is it holding him back from doing work he wants to in his abacus program, or does he feel the work he's doing is slowed down by not knowing math facts? From everything I've been told (and experienced with my own kids), learning math facts has a huge "developmentally ready" component to it, same as reading does to a certain extent, maybe more so. Most children at 7 (even in some cases PG kiddos) aren't necessarily ready yet to be able to memorize and regurgitate math facts quickly. I would be concerned about investing $ in a program specifically for math fact mastery that might work *for now* and then find out that after a few months away from the program "poof" all math facts have been forgotten. I've seen that happen with my now-9 year old in school - she went to a traditional school in 2nd grade (at 7) that really pushed the math facts, and she was quite good at them - top of the class, a real speed demon, had all of her multiplication facts down cold at the end of the school year. Then summer happened, and at the start of third grade she'd forgotten every single danged fact. And oddly enough, drill-and-kill facts was once again a big piece of her 3rd grade math curriculum.. indicating to me that perhaps my dd wasn' the *only* child who'd forgotten those danged facts over the summer. So she learned them all again and... you guessed it... lost a ton of them over the summer before 4th grade smile She's most of the way through 4th grade now, it's taken less practice to relearn them and I suspect they'll stick much better this time around... but that's just my take on it - if she'd never seen a math fact until 4th grade, and just focused on math concepts before 4th, I think she would have been at the same place she is now anyway. Same would have happened with my other kids - which is why I wouldn't invest in a program purely for learning math facts if my kids were in early elementary school.

polarbear
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum